Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche transceiver taster and practice Hemel 16th Oct

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from another thread, the Oct 16th Date has been confirmed for some avalanche transceiver practice and/or taster at the Hemel Ski centre.

The other thread was termed training, what we are trying to offer is a chance to practice and try lots of different transceivers, its not a training session more of a self help group:~/

There will be someone on hand from the BCA importers and they should have their giant flux line sheet for some outside practice with your own transceiver or you can try out any of the ones we have with us.

The list so far is
BCA Tracker 1
BCA Tracker 2
Ortovox F1
Ortovox D3
Ortovox Patroller Digital
Ortovox 3+ the new one
Ortovox S1
Barryvox Pulse

We are also trying to get an indoor session as well, with some "proper" buried transcievers skimotterat and rob@raor are sorting this side.

Timings are 5pm to 7pm for the outside stuff.

We will update with further info, as we have it any other suggestions are very welcome Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have had the offer of a BCA Shovel and Probe as a prize for a little competition on the avalanche transceiver practice session.

One idea is to do a "Fastest to find a victim" with for example a £1 a go entry fee with all the money raised going to charity.

Does this sound like a good idea?

And which charity should we be doing it for?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain Rescue?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
livetoski, i am interested. Will there be a demo for people who have never used a transceiver before?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
o11y, we can demo and show you how to use the different transceivers that we will have with us, no problems with that.
altis, Is that general Mountain Rescue or a specific one?

Another one I had suggested to me was Respect The Mountain?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, I've booked a session with Scott and Rob - is this all the same 'event'? (I too have -virtually - never used a transceiver before.)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, yes it is some inside some outside, Scott is trying to sort it so we can search and dig inside as well
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski, thanks. See you there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, good to hear that you will be there, if the weather keeps going like it is today we could be skiing outside as well as inside on the 16th Oct
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski wrote:

Another one I had suggested to me was Respect The Mountain?

F off to that nonsense- Respect My Intelligence isn't a real charidee is it, just a bit of greenwash for the SCGB who don't seem to mind writing about their trips around the world to exotic locations and heli trips in their in house rag.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone tested transceivers in the snow centre before?
It's a big metal box with cooling pipes underneath the snowpack (probably more metal) and lots of fluorescent lights...

I'd love to try out all the transceivers though Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
.Ro, fair point, different tech I know but it screws with mobiles.

It may be big enough for you to get away from interference though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.Ro, we're going to find out beforehand. One of the instructors at Hemel has had a go with a few transceivers on the slope and he thought it was OK, but we might well do some testing of the different models outside to avoid interference as much as possible.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is a great idea.
latest report
HellBent, Very Happy Very Happy tiffin,
Quote:

It may be big enough for you to get away from interference though

Will be testing out a few transceivers, in the next few days, to make sure they work, it will be intresting to see how the newer digital ones cope with interference
ski holidays
Tested some digital transceivers yesterday on the Hemel nursery slope and no problem, getting a good signal from about 35m down to within 2 feet
ski holidays
livetoski,
Quote:

Tested some digital transceivers yesterday on the Hemel nursery slope
Did you? I must have been concentrating VERY hard on my lesson. wink Nice to meet you and your 'little' boy. Very Happy
snow conditions
Hurtle, Very Happy good to see you too, did you see the "little boy" fall he went home with concussion Shocked
ski holidays
livetoski, oh my goodness, no I didn't! Hope he recovers quickly and glad it wasn't anything worse. (He was, it has to be said, throwing himself around a lot!)
ski holidays
A very kind SH wink has offered to activate his ABS avalanche air bag during the avalanche taster session,

I think this sounds like a great idea what do other SH's think?
ski holidays
We have spoken to the Centre and will be able to create some simulated burials on the slope and do some digging and probing which should be interesting
snow report
livetoski, in my ignorance, I have no clue about the pros or cons, and look forward to being enlightened. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
We have spoken to the Centre and will be able to create some simulated burials on the slope and do some digging and probing which should be interesting

You're volunteering? I'm in wink
ski holidays
fatbob, me and a big piste basher are gonna mound up the snow, you can do the digging ! (i wont be under the snow just my wee rucksack) wink
snow conditions
I can't wait.

Can one dig and eat popcorn at the same time? Can one get popcorn at Hemel? Is the answer really 42?
ski holidays
Hurtle,
Quote:

Is the answer really 42?

You could be right, 42m is a pretty standard range for a avalanche transceiver wink
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

(i wont be under the snow just my wee rucksack)

You using Robs ruck sack then wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski wrote:
Hurtle, Very Happy good to see you too, did you see the "little boy" fall he went home with concussion Shocked

Didn't just see it, felt the shock wave through my skis Shocked
snow report
anarchicsaltire, you saw it? Where was I? Engaging haplessly in arm exercises?
ski holidays
that was about the best crash i have seen so far at Hemel, I am guessing a bit of whiplash this morning and a very very sore head Skullie Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin

top tip to all freestylers that do jumps is that looking cool with your chin strap not done up usually results in your helmet coming off when you actually want it on wink
ski holidays
skimottaret, he had a very sore head and sternum yesterday, OK today, the joy of being 20 and being able to bounce and recover wink he does know better about helmets as your top tip says.

Funny thing is on the way back he was trying to blame it on the skis being 4cm longer than his Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
livetoski, 4cm makes all the difference! Unfortunately I didn't see the crash as was busy giving video feedback, but I did the the aftermath as people crowded around him on the slope. Looked nasty Shocked

Details of the transceiver event have been posted on The Snow Centre's website here.
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

Details of the transceiver event have been posted on The Snow Centre's website here.
excellent prose, Rob!
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
that was about the best crash i have seen so far at Hemel

My thoughts exactly when I saw it happen!!

I was on the poma right next to him when he 'landed' and it looked SORE!! Glad that he has made a quick recovery.
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

good stuff Very Happy
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
anarchicsaltire, you saw it? Where was I? Engaging haplessly in arm exercises?

It was whilst you were having your extended lunchbreak (for cathy's benefit) Toofy Grin

I was on the poma below where he landed, Touchguru was quickly on the scene to give him a quick prod with his pole to get him on his feet Madeye-Smiley

Glad he's ok
snow report
anarchicsaltire, Laughing Laughing
latest report
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Touchguru was quickly on the scene to give him a quick prod with his pole to get him on his feet Madeye-Smiley

He does like to do that, doesn't he.

wink
latest report
Bit of media coverage of this event.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy