Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
with everyone heading to Cairngorm, Nevis and Glenshee this weekend I know where I'm going Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, Glencoe will be ace but I shall be kipping in the car with my skis again tonight, this time in Fort Bill ready to be up the hill by 9.00 for Nevis Range's back corries safety course. I'm hoping to pick up some cornice cutting skills as well because I've still got bad memories of getting it wrong and cartwheeling down hundreds of feet when those cornices have been too big for me. Skullie
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's a piccy of the Back Corries at Nevis from yesterday - apparently even more snow has blown in now! Shocked

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/Hqhulpb3f1A
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly, great vid that! Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking good.
Never been to Glencoe so when is the best time to be there 8.30 or sooner ?
Also is it worth buying pass online before I get there.

TIA
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DAVE 2227, roll up any time you like. There'll be no queues at Glencoe. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
unless you want hire. if you need to hire, turn up asap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers no hire so all is good Little Angel
No queues Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nevis, Glencoe or Cairngorm tomorrow? Decisions decisions!!! dont know what to do. Think will head to Nevis tomorrow then Glencoe Sunday, but also thinking of cairngorm and worried about possible queues there?
Really only want to go to Nevis if the Braveheart is running. Also is it top to bottom(of gondola) riding still or is this now just slush and rubble?
Anyone else going to ski tomorrow and want to meet let me know
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, just been reading on Winterhighland that apparently the guy in that clip doing the jump is pro boarder "Johno Verity (Animal/Adidas), below him in the creek there are two people filming, one in Markku Koski (Olympic halfpipe medalist) and above him is Dan Milner (photographer from Jeremy Jones Deeper and star of a fairly recent youtube encounter with a stag!)."

Interesting that Scotland is getting the attention of these kinda guys these days!

Anyway for anyone wondering about the reference to an encounter with a stag on YouTube, here it is:

http://youtube.com/v/eBVNBy7T-Dw

Ouch!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^ ooft! That'll teach him. Hope he got a good pic.

Brilliant vid of the boarder above.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi there just back from Glenshee what a great day. . So much snow. . .not a sunny day but vis was fine later in day. . Loads n loads of cars however didnt seem to be many people as I didnt queue for more than 5 min and that was only odd occasion. Well its a hard life as Im back again tomorrow. . snowHead
snow report
A couple of great pictures taken in the Back Corries at Nevis today:

snowHead
ski holidays
^roga, Looks like the backbowls at Nevis are in good shape.

Is it still possible to ski down to the valley floor?

Where is that stream at Glencoe? By the carlot chairlift?

That stag is cool.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
^roga, Looks like the backbowls at Nevis are in good shape.

Sure does Very Happy
Quote:
Is it still possible to ski down to the valley floor?

Apparently okay if you don't value your bases!
Quote:
Where is that stream at Glencoe? By the carlot chairlift?

Yeah, near the bottom of the access chair.
Quote:
That stag is cool.

Laughing
ski holidays
Glencoe was great.
Top runs were excellent but the lower "blue" run to carpark was a fecking nightmare for me.

Can`t wait to get back Very Happy
snow report
Cairngorm today was fantastic, only better. I stayed on the east side of the hill all day as the mountain was heaving. The Ciste car park was full by 1100 and every tow was reasonably busy.

Although described as strugied, the West Wall and No. 2 gully were excellent, as were the Ciste Gully and Aonach Bowl. The snow in the Ptarmigan Bowl, Ciste Bowl and Ciste Fairway was lovely and firm but in no way hard or icy at all. The Laogh Mor route back to the car park is definitely for skiers who know the mountain well as there is no marking along the route. It's tricky between No.1 gully and the top of the bowl but there is some really nice firm virgin snow once you get into the coire.

With 39 runs available (40 including Laogh Mor), today was definitely the best day of skiing for me this season.
snow report
Snow Time, Glad you had a good day Tim. You up on your own or with the family??? I bet that run that we did where the deep footprints were in the frozen ice/snow was good today.
latest report
Great learning day today at Nevis Range's back corries workshop and a bit of skiing too. Snow pack assessment, cornice cutting, aspect loading, run recognition, route planning & safety plus a bit of transceiver work at the end of the day. Upper mountain lifts weren't runnig due to very high winds so we rode the Kassbohrers to the top to access fresh tracks into the backs.

Today was the first time I've ever skied the amazing Chancer & was 1/2 expecting it to end in a big cartwheeling fall but instead, after its intimidating entry, I was rewarded by big turns in untracked snow steeply down to Climber's Col and then whooping out into the bowl.

Not my video (I took a rather more cautious approach Laughing ) but this video of a skier going in via Chancer from a couple of days ago shows the amount of snow that's up there at the mo ...

Dropping in to Chancer's at Nevis Range from Ed Daynes
http://vimeo.com/21128384

What a day. Very Happy

Photos here

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2675

snow report
moffatross, I was lucky enough to ski Climbers Col in deep powder snow last season. Great pics snowHead
latest report
Looks like there will be a week of high temps, heavy melt and rain almost all next week Sad
latest report
Quote:

Looks like there will be a week of high temps, heavy melt and rain almost all next week

The monger of doom strikes again Shocked
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Snow Time, Glad you had a good day Tim. You up on your own or with the family??? I bet that run that we did where the deep footprints were in the frozen ice/snow was good today.

Cheers Rick. I was up with my 9 year old son. He was more than happy on the black runs but absolutely knackered after the Laogh Mor exit to the bottom (Ciste) car park which, to be honest, was skiing more like a black than a red! The Ciste Gully that had deep footprints in the snow when you were up was full of packed powder and was great to ski on. The snow is so deep in some of the corries that the hill walkers would risk getting stuck!
ski holidays
Sounds great, I loved that run, especially from the very top of the mountain then all the way down to where we cut across to get the poma back up! It's a great piste. What is the snow depth up at the top now, must be the best of the season so far?
latest report
Whitegold, when you make these comments could you back them up with some forecasts/charts because that's deffo not what I've seen in the charts so I'd like to see where it's coming from!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, From winter highland

The latest indications are for a mild, at times windy and largely overcast week means it looks like there will be no let up in sustained thaw conditions through the coming week in Highland Scotland, the high pressure has slipped just a little bit and it's a fine line between a week of sunny spring weather and fantastic spring riding and horrible grey thaw conditions.
snow report
Okay, in which case we need to make that clear and also make it clear that the rain is only persistent in the west coast forecast.

However, you cannot predict on one forecast - MWIS seem to have a different take on it although a thaw still seems to be very much n the cards but more due to wind than rain.

Bottom line is it's immensely annoying and frustrating to have a doom and gloom forecast for the coming week posted with no detail and no corroboration!

kitenski, as you say it's on a knife edge but unfortunately we seem to be marginally on the wrong side of the fine line right now!
snow report
Was up at Cairngorm on friday, it was a lovely day but with very high winds and the tows shut just as we arrived around midday. I had borrowed some snow shoes from a friend so took this as a perfect opportunity to have a go.

It was a lovely day though, the morning skiers must have had fun.

Back up on Saturday for another nice day,

I think this was the first time I have ever skied the White lady when it was fully pisted, it makes it much easier Wink
There was racing on the White Lady and M1 so these lifts were open until just after 5pm when they were closed by high winds again. We skied down to the bottom carpark through the Ciste Gully, I ended up with mud on my skis, not the best run or perhaps route choice by us, I don't know this side of the hill as well Sad

Sunday was windy again, I think a lot of the lifts were shut at Cairngorm so we headed over to Nevis for a change. The goose didn't look as pretty as Cairngorm did

but skied lovely

Braveheart came on in the afternoon so we headed over to the back corries, my first time in Smile

It was nice but quite heavy so we only did a few laps
snow report
roga wrote:
Whitegold, when you make these comments could you back them up with some forecasts/charts because that's deffo not what I've seen in the charts so I'd like to see where it's coming from!!

roga, Almost every forecast, from WinterHighland to the squigglies, is showing a week of megathaw.

I wanna slide there in a coupla weeks, so I ain't too happy about it, either.
snow report
BBC talking of cooling back down & snow showers on Friday ....
ski holidays
Thawing fast at Glenshee this weekend with bare patches appearing. Still lots of fun to be had though and every lift open.

Newer snow sticky, older snow(ie the base) thats been frozen very nice if a bit grey looking. Super smooth spring snow if you knew where to look Smile Shame about the visibility although at least the winds weren't a problem.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
roga, Almost every forecast, from WinterHighland to the squigglies, is showing a week of megathaw.

I must have been looking in the wrong places then ... like MWIS and GFS but I guess it depends on your definition of "megathaw" because I have nticed things forecast to warm up for sure Toofy Grin
Quote:
I wanna slide there in a coupla weeks, so I ain't too happy about it, either.

Yeah, sorry if the message earlier came across as a bit brusque, was on my way out the door when I typed it and was genuinely puzzled!
ski holidays
scotia wrote:
moffatross, I was lucky enough to ski Climbers Col in deep powder snow last season. Great pics snowHead

scotia, I'd never realised that without using Chancer or the higher runs that I'd be missing out on so much & Climbers Col was a stunning place to stare out in wonder and awe from on Saturday. There were so many lines to choose over Climbers Col's ridge that all I want now is to get back there ASAP on a quietish day when Braveheart & the frontside lifts are running and just ski my old legs off. snowHead
snow report
Most of the lifts are Cairngorm were shut due to high winds so we went a wee tour up the ciste gully, it was amazing the amount of snow which has thawed since saturday, high winds and high temps have seen to that, however there is still plenty of snow in the important places

We made it up as far as the ptarmigan bowl before skiing the Ciste Gully.
ski holidays
lynseyf, if I have my bearings right are those pics showing the no.2 gully run on the lhs? My favourite area to ski at the 'Gorm, but looking a bit patchy!!!
snow report
snow conditions
Thinking about Glencoe tomorrow anyone else heading up?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy