Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
JezC, no worries feel free to argue with me though - always fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best snow in Europe???

http://youtube.com/v/zkmIWimoDGY
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga, Colin definitely wasn't needed to describe the conditions there Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of my bros GoPro pics from Monday

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yup, missed the day of the season rolling eyes . Must've been magic today for anyone touring in on the plateaux - the only possible problem being which one to choose! (actually today maybe a full tour de cairngorms could've well been on the cards for the fitter bushwhackers amongst us Shocked ). Will be eagerly checking the reports later

To cheer myself up and score one against the man, I dodged out just after 4pm and headed up to the loch for a few closer shots:

Coire Cas:

Coire an t-Sneachda (centre) & Coire an Lochain (right):

Close-up Coire an Lochain:

Close-up Sneachda:

East Wall Gulleys in Coire na Ciste (west wall poma top right):

Day Lodge and mid-station, Coire Cas:

North face of the Cairngorm-Ben Macdui massif (Beinn a' Bhúird-Ben Avon massif behind and Cairntoul-Braeriach out of shot lookers right accross the Lairg Ghru):

a glorious Spring evening - good here innit? Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scotia wrote:
roga, Colin definitely wasn't needed to describe the conditions there Laughing

Yeah, they rather speak for themselves! Laughing
barry wrote:
a glorious Spring evening - good here innit? Cool

Not half! Mr. Green
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
barry, wow, stunning photos. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Glencoe good condiitions absolutely fabulous weather. Sunny day with all runs in good nick, only run that was a little firm was the car park one at the end of the day. Flypaper closed because of ave risk all other runs open.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cracking pics... what camera/lens?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Nevis good conditions absolutely fabulous weather. Sunny day with all runs in good nick, only run that was a little firm was the top of Warrens. Backs closed because of ave risk all other runs open.

Would have some video if whoever finds my camera hands it in to the lift office Sad

Skied with NBT and Mrs NBT who said they liked it snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 16-03-11 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
II, did you deliberately copy T Bar's post verbatim? Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andytb, I'm guessing the conditions were quite similar wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, nothin too fancy - pentax k100d, 18-55 and 70-300. Got what I think is enough for a good pano, anyone know decent free/cheap stitcher i could use??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glenshee today was brilliant - wall to wall blue sky, and fine snow. The occasional cloud drifted through, but there is still untracked snow - I hesitate to call it powder as it is more porridge like, but eminently skiiable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Conditions look good.

Will be flying over to Scotchland if your snow holds up over the next few weeks Cool
latest report
Whitegold, the forecast doesn't look too bad at all! Next week could bring some amazing spring skiing.
snow report
Been following this thread with interest. Wondered where Cairngorm was in the Alps Laughing Good snow AND blue sky.....
snow conditions
billb, if it was in the Alps the snow wouldnae be so good Wink

Here are some cracking shots from Glencoe today (16th March) snowHead
snow report
Whitegold, good stuff - are you liable to be around late next week into the weekend? Y'know there's a Snowheads bash over at Cairngorm?
snow conditions
^roga, scotia It will probably be early-April before we can diarize it. Just been in the Rockies for several weeks and need to catchup. Hopefully, conditions will hold steady and the visit can be timed for snow and sun. The past two visits in prior seasons have seen full coverage and blue skies, similar to the photos above.
latest report
barry wrote:
shoogly, nothin too fancy - pentax k100d, 18-55 and 70-300. Got what I think is enough for a good pano, anyone know decent free/cheap stitcher i could use??

barry, send them to me and i'll stitch them together for you. graphic designer by trade so have experience of that sort of thing Very Happy

still can't believe i'm leaving the best snow in Europe behind to go skiing in frenchland for a week.... sure, it'll be a great hol, but i could do with skiing here for 6 days in a row!
ski holidays
roga,
Quote:

if it was in the Alps the snow wouldnae be so good

Yes, I know! I've skied in Scotland several times - my children learned to ski on Cairngorm. These current conditions are remarkable but because of altitude can change quickly although I guess there's now enough depth to easily see the (lift served) season out. Pity they removed the west wall chair (I was there last Easter and it was sad to see it abandoned) - doesn't make sense.
snow report
billb wrote:
roga,
Quote:

if it was in the Alps the snow wouldnae be so good

Yes, I know! I've skied in Scotland several times - my children learned to ski on Cairngorm. These current conditions are remarkable but because of altitude can change quickly although I guess there's now enough depth to easily see the (lift served) season out. Pity they removed the west wall chair (I was there last Easter and it was sad to see it abandoned) - doesn't make sense.

Indeed. They didn't even take the chairs off. Apparently it is totally knackered. It always reminds me of something out of Scooby Doo, you know where they turn up at the abandoned mine and everything is intact, as they left it, but covered in cobwebs. When you come across the chair lift in low viz (ie nearly every time!) it is quite creepy, you almost expect a couple of frozen skiers, with 220 straights to found one day.

Going up again on Saturday, getting v excited.
latest report
The chairs are off both chairlifts, except a couple at either end of the line.

G2 Outdoors did a tele workshop up there yesterday, they took some belting pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=286278&id=53541535291&fbid=10150119899675292

snow conditions
shoogly, cheers mate, but I captured the pano ones in RAW format and the files are huge - am I humped without a program? (my photography is a bit like my skiing - most of the gear, not much idea Laughing )
snow report
barry, assuming you want a free tool, google GIMP and then I found this article http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7295
latest report
RAW is even better. I'll pm you my email address and you can use the online large file transfer site www.yousendit.com to send them if you like.

Away on hols this weekend so would probably have to wait until my return.
snow report
Some fantastic pictures there. If I could work out how to upload mine, I would post them lol.

Had a great day in Glenshee yesterday it was a real bluebird day. I was a bit disappointed when we arrived at the ticket office to be told that only half the mountain was in operation. This was not because of wind or technical problems or lack of snow, in fact the pistes looked beautifully groomed just waiting for some action! No the reason for shutting half the mountain was because of lack of visitors!! I was a bit annoyed at this as the reason I had taken the time off midweek instead of going at the weekend was to avoid the queues and the hustle and bustle. So with half the mountain shut, did they charge me half price? No. Just deducted £4 off the price of the ticket. I think this should be clearly stated on the website and I was a bit miffed to start but the skiing more than made up for it. Most of the pistes were in great condition. We did however had to do quite a bit of poling and side stepping in places. I think they could have done with a few rope tows in some places (but this could have had something to do with some of the lifts being closed). the large blue run that sweeps over the back of the caenlochan poma was just like a massive field that was totally unpisted. You could not even see the piste markers it was just powder snow which I think mst have been made worse by the drifting snow. Great if you are an expert but not so great if you are unsteady novice, and trying to avoid the grass and rocks sticking out of the snow was fun (not). I found that run and also the red off the glas maol hard going on the legs. It was very cut up if that is the right terminology. But glad to say we did it and apart from those 2 runs, the rest were really good, it was almost like being back in France. Really enjoyable, compared to the previous 2 days which we had in Cairngorm and Nevis which were enjoyable but really hard work on the legs.

We hired our skis in Glenshee from Caird sport and can highly recommend them. They were really helpful and the equipment was top class.

Back to reality now and to rest my weary legs lol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo99, well done, glad you had a good time Very Happy

Latest report from Cairngorm includes a report of (another) avalanche on the Cas headwall:
Quote:
Thursday 17th March; ALL RUNS OPEN FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS SEASON!
End of day update:
Another awfy fine day up on the hill
The last two days have been the best yet, this season. Tremendous snowsports to be had on the Cas side runs, The Ryvoan run has had the Winch Cat treatment and is now 4 machine widths wide with another 4 widths of unpisted down the side of the chair line. Ciste Gully also received a bit of winching.
The Day Lodge Poma is back in operation, some narrow sections on the Daylodge piste, however you can also ski the acres of off piste down the side above the car park. Top to bottom the snow is fantastic.
The Over Yonder and the Laogh Mor routes are complete back to the Ciste car park and we have a shuttle bus running. These routes are unpisted and the Laogh Mor route is quite difficult on strugied snow. Once the snow consolidates some more, we may look to putting the groomers in there.
The West Wall, No.s 1 and 2 gullies are open but again they have wind blown, strugied snow.

The Avalanche forecast remains considerable on most aspects. The headwall of Coire Cas avalanched during the afternoon.

Also a very nice piccy of ski patrol on the West Wall:

ski holidays
Nevis going to open all lifts this weekend!
latest report
^ And summit-to-valleyfloor riding. Must be the first time in many years.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
^ And summit-to-valleyfloor riding. Must be the first time in many years.

You couldnt do that last year in the amazing conditions?
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, I think Whitegold is referring to this being the first year in a while where it has been possible to do both.

The last year all the lifts ran was 2005.
snow conditions
shoogly, done, thanks a lot mate, no rush getting it back, enjoy your weekend.

kitenski, not sure I should google GIMP on my works pc Shocked Laughing Laughing
latest report
What are the roads up from Glasgow to Fort William/Nevis like? I have a BMW which only moves sideways when there is 5mm of snow on the ground never mind anything more!

Want to make the trip this weekend if I know I'm going to make it and not end up stuck.
ski holidays
scoman, totally clear and fine. Just watch for the potholes on GWR.
snow conditions
polo99, glad you enjoyed Glenshee I personally think it's probably the best resort for inexperience skiers as you can still travel about the mountain and it's got a lot of really nice, easy runs. The staff there are great as well, really enthusiastic and go out of their way to help. One day last year was really busy and had some long queues so they came out from the cafe and went up and down the lift lines handing our bits of cake for free Smile
snow conditions
lynseyf, if they did that at Cairngorm they'd quickly have no profits left Wink Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks Scotia
snow conditions
barry, got the files. will get it back asap.

Today is the first day that every run has been open at Cairngorm this year.... would love to be there now.

May many and all of the skiers there over the next few days have a great time Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy