Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl and Galtur - any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a four night Ingham deal starting Jan 4. Staying in Galtur. (Very excited and three and a bit months ain't THAT long. Shurely?)

Know nothing about the area and would appreciate any tips from fellow snowheads. Particularly, any off-piste guiding services that anyone has used.

Also How is early January snowcover there generally speaking? How does Galtur compare with Ischgl for apres?

(Thanks in advance. If there's anywhere I'm gonna get independent, unbiased, accurate and knowledgeable info, it's here!).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I spent Christmas there a couple of years ago, and snow cover offpiste was no problem at all, no exposed rocks etc - I can't comment on generally though. I don't know about guiding services, but there's plenty of offpiste potential, with lot's of stuff that's very obvious and easily accessed. Few fun marked ski routes if you want some 'safe' (avi controlled) offpiste too. Take a look at the piste map and you'll see lots of options for exploration (obvious caveats about conditions on the day bla bla...).

Edit: I mean Ischgl, I've never skied Galtur.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-09-10 22:09; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big Paua, ask for martin as a guide , you can book through the local ski school , he was very good and had a great local knowledge
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Paua, Was in Kappl this year - 2nd to 9th Jan. Snow was fine like anywehere else at that point due to the extremely low temps. Did not manage to Galtur but did to Ischgl one day. I reckon Galtur will be similar to Kappl in the sense that it's a family orientated resort with nothing like the apres of Ischgl. Can't comment of the guiding as I've not used. Think you might be able to get a guide to take you from Kappl over to the Rendl area of St Anton - but would probably require a taxi back????
Enjoy the area though - it is a cracking ski area
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ta - all grist to the mill. Apologies - just noticed earlier thread on "Where to go in Austria ?" which is also helpful.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Big Paua, Nice area and conditions are generally decent I believe, chose it many years ago for a xmas/NY trip based on a history of decent snow and was not dissapointed. Anywhere can be poor that early though I guess. Have stayed in Galtur and being on a family trip was not interested inthe apres, had I have been I suspect it would have been limited.
As stated above the ski routes do not get heavily skied even in busy weeks and can provide decent off piste conditions.Have done a fair bit of betwee the pistes exploring but not used a guide. It's a famous area for touring though.
One thing to be very aware of is that if any of your party suffer from the cold Galtur is north facing and on several visits has always been a cold place to ski, early January could be very cold, Ischgl is significantly warmer, otherwise it is very pleasant and never crowded though limited in extent.
The bus service beween the areas is not particularly frequent and if you do not have your own transport you need to decide which area to ski for hte day. Galturs own skiing is not next to the village but about a mile up the road at Wirl.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't have thought either place would be lack of snow in Jan.

Galtur is at the dead end of the valley. The road beyond Galtur apparently is closed for winter.

Measureing from Galtur the distance to Ischgl, Kappl and See are 3, 12 and 16 miles with sizes 40, 235, 40 and 33 km pistes respectively. Galtur is therefore comparable in size to Kappl and See but only 1/6 of the size of Ischgl which is fully linked to Swiss side Samnaun.

The Apres of Ischgl is at the different league to Galtur simply because the large number of residents there. Besides Ischgl is famous of its abundant 5 and 4 star hotels and has a similar standing as Lech in Arlberg. My impression of Galtur is it looks like a one-horse town to me. Galtur is very much a resort for families and this should reflect in its prices. Don't get me wrong for skiing Galtur is just as good as it starts at 1584m whereas Ischgl altitude starts at 1400m. Galtur and Ischgl are not really comparable because each is for a different market sector.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 10-09-10 8:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big Paua, loads of info on Galtür on their website http://www.galtuer.com/en-index.htm

Both resorts are snow sure so you should be fine in Jan although off piste cover might not be the deepest at that time of year...

The two resorts are very different. Ischgl is a big party time ski resort and Galtür is a much smaller and quieter resort just up the valley. It is popular with families so that means that you can normally grab good freshies if it has dumped whilst you are there wink

There is a good amount of lift accessed off piste in Galtür plus you are on the edge of a massive ski touring area - the Silvretta. Several decent mountain guides work for the ski school and I think there is another independent guide but I have no idea whether he speaks English. Details should be on the resort site.

As for apres, there is no comparison between the two! There are some good places to stop for some apres up the mountain and then a couple of hotels at the bottom of the main slope back into Wirl which are quite fun for a drink or two. Sorry can't remember the names of them off the top of my head. If you want proper wild apres then you need to dump your kit and go down to Ischgl on the free ski bus where there are a number of entertaining places which were always heeving when I did the Ischgl apres ski scene Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I lived in Galtur for the whole season back in the 80's. It was one of the last bastions for Heli-Skiing in Austria had some great fun in the Silvretta back country!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy