Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European resort - mixed ability group wanting some nightlife!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello.

There are six of us going away for two weeks late Jan/early Feb. We were thinking of a condo in Whistler - but have just started to entertain the idea of heading into Europe instead.

With a mixed ability group (near beginners at one end and a black piste/off-piste seeking type at the other) all mid thirties wanting some nightlife/shops/restaurants - where would you go?

Was thinking say Zermatt (bit of a ride up every day and only a black down) or St Anton (not so good for beginners though)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

or St Anton (not so good for beginners though)?

if the beginners stick to Rendl or Nasserein they'll be fine. Some nice off piste and easy ski routes in Rendl too, so that the group doesn't need to be well and truly split up. Rendl is the best groomed part of the St Anton part of the Arlberg, with Lech and Zurs always well pisted and nice and easy runs for the beginners, but does involve a (free) bus. Nightlife is just excellent. Can't comment on Zermatt as I've not been
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
see here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66349 , http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64853
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mayrhofen
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ghost Dog, clarky999, we are sooo predictable. clarky999, you take St Anton for a while, I'll take Mayrhofen and Ghost Dog, you take Ischgl. Deal? wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, Lol! I do think Ischgl may be better than Anton for this group (shopping and restaurant wise particularly, but maybe a bit more skiing for the 'in the middle' sort of skier), otherwise I'd have said Anton off the bat. As you said Nasserein and particularly Rendl are fine for beginners, although there's not much elsewhere for 'early intermediates.' Not much in the way of challenging pistes either, but who gives a damn about that!

Farry, Any of the three suggested should be ace for you, which one you prefer depends a bit on taste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, my gut said St Anton - I have been before and think the group would like it. Was a bit worried about the near beginners though. I forgot about Nasserein though, good call.

Well next step is to see whether everyone is still mega keen on Whistler or whether St Anton might swing it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Farry, Whistler is tad better than any suggestions on here imv Very Happy (and I have been to St Anton 3 times) but this thread is useless without photos

view from my condo hot tub mid Feb a few years back wink

The piste

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Farry, tough call. one of the lads who comes to St Anton (boys trip) with us, always goes to Whistler (family) for 2 weeks at Xmas/NY (lucky bar steward). He goes at least 4-5 skli holidays a year and Whistler and St Anton/Lech are his two favourites. I suppose the jet lag thing isn't an issue with St Anton and from what I hear the apres in St Anton is miles better
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am a great St Anton fan, but I did find bar prices a bit silly (esp Moose and Kangaruh). Mayrhofen has a massive amount of terrain and beer is £3 a pint. Apres is just as good as t Anton.

But I may well be in Saint Anton in April (after Val ' Isere and Mayrhofen.

What is Ischgl like and how do I get there from Edinburgh? We usually fly to Munich via somewhere (Amsterdam this Jan) as we get in befor 11 and can be in Mayrhofen by lunchtime (half day on the hill). Coming back, there's a 6pm flight so we get a full day near enough. I can't find any other resorts we can do that now that Innsbruck isn't an option after the demise of almost all of Lufthansa flights from Edinburgh to Frankfurt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ghost Dog, Edinburgh Innsbruck as per usual for Ischgl/St Anton uzw. Flights with Thomson seem a little cheaper this year at £245 return with www.charterflights.co.uk Fly out at 6.50am now (must have swaped with the Newcastle flight). I flew into Munich for Kappl this year (1st time hiring car) - took 5 hours Evil or Very Mad Severe traffic jams on the way there (until we got past exit for Zillertal). On way back we flew from Memmingem with Ryanair to Edinburgh and only took 2.5 hours from Kappl. Easyjet still doing Munich from Edinburgh. Jet2 doing Salzburg from Edinburgh too but crap flight times.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charter to Innsbruck no use to me tho, only go for 4 nights with the boys. I did wonder about Ryanair flights, but our perfectly timed flights with KLM to Munich were cheaper (£150 ish, not ski carriage, at least I think there is no ski carriage).

Any comments on Ischgl for 8 over Forties who like St Anton/Mayrhofen. Is aper better/same/worse? What's skiing like?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems like you have quite a bit of cash to spend.

If so: Ischgl, Saalbach, Lech
If not: Mayrhofen
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ghost Dog, only skied Ischgl for the day but thought the skiing was excellent. Only sampled the apres until 6.30 (ie before we had to head back to Kappl) and it was good. From what I could gather, most folk seemed to head to their hotel after skiing, dump their ski gear and head out with jeans etc (or tacky bling in the case of the Ruskies). So compared with St Anton it seems that the proper apres starts a bit later. Definitley worth going to - cracking place, although personally I still prefer St Anton.
latest report
I wish ! I never had Lech on my list of must do apres. If Saalbach and Ischgl are expensive, I'll stick to Mayrhofen with the boys. France for New Year with family since little opportunity for apres. It may be different when oldest can drink beer.
snow conditions
Saalbach isn't particularly expensive, at least I've never found it so. Not so much to keep the more advanced skiers entertained though, although the black down from the top of the Schattberg is harder than any of Anton's pistes.

Ghost Dog, the skiing in Ischgl generally seems a little more mellow than Anton, although ironically the harder pistes in Ischgl are probably more challenging than any of Anton's pisted terrain (spot a theme here). Both of great offpiste potential, but personally I think the Arlberg and St Anton has the edge. Although Ischgl does have very good apres, I find Anton seems better on the apres, whilst Ischgl definitely wins on 'proper' nightlife. Expect to see a lot of Russian money though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 16-09-10 20:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Soldeu might suit. Great for beginners. Cheapish drink. Great shopping down in Andorra Le Vella ( 30 min ). The good skiers can hire one of the instructors for a few hours to show them a few of the offpiste routes and some of the narly terrain. Nightlife is pretty lively too.
snow conditions
Ah, we've booked Whistler in the end!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy