Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camper Van Winter Rental In Canada - Would We Survive?

Poster: A snowHead
We have a flight booked to Calgary next Feb and are planning to ski at Kicking Horse and Revelstoke, with a couple of days' of cat skiing at Sicamous thrown in for good measure.

We had originally intended to hire a car and book Super 8 type hotels...

However, I have just found an alternative potential bargain on the net - cheap camper van rental! ($500 for the week).

Is it a good idea? Or is it completely hair-brained, in that we would be condemning ourselves to potential hypothermia? Shocked

We have seen several campervans in Europe in ski resorts but wonder what the pros and cons are.

Can any experienced winter camping snowHead s advise on this? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you're going to struggle to be honest. It might turn a vacation into more of a survival effort.

Firstly I'm not sure that there are many sites that stay open through out the winter which means you're going to be limited in where you can get hook-ups. I think one stays open in Banff and there might be others but worth checking. This means you have to resort to doing it without facilities in random locations (if they exist); probably spending quite a lot on food / fuel just to keep warm.

The cold can be brutal if you are unlucky with the week, -25C is really cold. If you left you're van for the day to go skiing pretty much everything inside will freeze before you return in the evening as you probably wouldn't want to heat it through out the day.

I've only camped at -15C as part of a ski tour and even that was tough to get moving in the morning.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never seen camper van rental that cheap - are you sure they're fully winterised. You can stay in interior BC in reasonable motels for $60 a room and up so can't see that it would be worth it and you'd probably erase some of the saving in extra gas/diesel to keep the heater on or longer stays in bars in the evening.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It might turn a vacation into more of a survival effort.

Quote:

-25C is really cold

Hmmmm. Food for thought Shocked

Super 8s might be slightly warmer then!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister, I know nothing about camping in Canada but see a lot in Europe, and spoke to some people doing it. They had a super-insulated van, and it was not very cold, and they were fine - but like fatbob my first thought was that that was ridiculously cheap for camper van rental. There's probably a really good reason for that. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Add to all the above, a cheap 'camper van' is likely to be more like a VW in size than a coach-sized RV. We've done a few weekends or overhignt trips skiing with our 22' motorhome (2 adults, one child) and it was fine, but that was only one or two nights, and it doesn't get quite so cold in Scotland! One serious issue is drying stuff out - jackets, gloves, boots - will be very difficult in such a small space (in which you are also cooking, sleeping and relaxing). It sounds like a great idea, but I think the potential downsides are a little high compared to cheap motels.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have been a few times in our motorhome to the Alps and love it. Next year we will do a full season. It is SO important that the van is winterised. If you dont know if it is dont risk it.
The reason why we love going in a motorhome is because my wife and I know the thing inside out, its our baby. If something breaks (which it always will do) I now what to do. Im used to all the quirks the motohome has which is essentail when its sub 20 outside.
Unless the motorhome you are renting is a relatively new RV with recovery and free complete motorhome replacemnt if it breaks I would no way risk it. Infact it is a huge gamble to drop yourself in a cheap motorhome in freezing conditions. You may find that Bear grylles will make a show about how to survive a dodgy motohome in the snow Very Happy

However it is an adventure and i for one am all for adventure and risk taking. We took our first motorhome straigh to the alps 4 weeks after buying it. it was 15 years old and fortunately fully winterised
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister

I'm not sure it's such a ridiculous idea as is being made out. I'd done some basic research along the same lines myself, with a similar trip in mind. Maybe in the depths of winter it would not be such a good idea, but late Feb into March shouldn't be a real issue. That's when I'm normally in Canada, and there are plenty of RV's around by then.

The hirers won't rent something that's going to give you (and them) problems, and make sure you spec one with a night heater (as most seem to have). Just go through all the small print. A decent sized one (4-6 berth) can be had, as you suggest, for about 500 bucks a week, but beware the mileage charges wink.

There are several "all year" campsites dotted around, punch in "camping BC, Alberta" and it'll bring up some hits. Also it would be interesting how many hills would actually let you overnight. FAR has long term ski-in/out winter RV parking, so maybe the do short term too. Jasper has a site just on the edge of town. I'm sure there's an all-year near Invermere or Cranbrook too.

Golden serves KH, and it's a fairly non-touristy laid back town, so the might be free and easy on parking up. Revy is probably the same.

People just have no sense of adventure. Good luck, I'd do it myself, if the other wusses were up for it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't know Canada but in Europe you can often find a laundry with big dryers which would help with sodden gear.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergmeister, make sure it is kitted out as well as winterised. When I looked into it it was extra for things like pans, utensils etc - basically anythign that isn't fixed to the RV
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good for you two loads considering it!

There is no way I would!! I know my limits. Too cold for me.................... and way too small. ice all the way up windows cos heater can't cope etc. Plus i would't want to drive in one in anything like snowy conditions.

Plus costs mount up:
insurance
campground
petrol
extra for winter tyres

If you are going off season some deals are to be done on hotels and condos and these offer slightly reduced passes whcih help
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PS getting water may be difficult. I know that some (most) campsites are camping only and provide no water and all shower blocks and loos are shut. So depending on the tank size (and assuming it doesn't freeze) water may be your issue. Using drop loos in -20 isn't fun and any spare splashes freeze on the seat and its all fairly unpleasant

My worst experince in canada has been using a drop loo in layby between golden and LL at -22. There was at least 15cm of frozen pee on the back of the seat, making hovering all the more important. I know TMI. But it does demonstrare that the cold in canada is cold and does things that you wouldn't otherwise consider to allsorts of things.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

hovering all the more important

especially as sitting down would presumably cause bum to freeze to seat. Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hovering: good practice for heel edge snowboard stance
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't stay in the Canyon Motor Inn in Revelstoke Smile
snow report
To cold and 99% of the camp sites are closed most closed this week! There will be the one or 2 open for a few more weeks say end September. Stick to B+Bs, Hostels and motels.
ski holidays
Thanks all.

Hmmm. More food for thought...

After reading the initial replies I ruled it out on the grounds that we'd like to live beyond next February - but after hearing from BCjohnny, et al I'm back to considering it again as a possibility! The adventurer in me says it could be...err... an adventure!

I'm completely new to the motorhome game so (naively) need to ask what's meant by a "winterised" vehicle. Embarassed (Other than the tyres). Do they do winter insulated RVs for example?

Anyway, for those interested this is the link for the cheapy motorhome rental:-

http://www.cheaprvrental-canada.com

It works out at $520 for the week including tax and 1000 free km. However, I've just spotted that (as holidayloverxx, says) it's £75 extra for pots and pans and other essentials. Still not bad though.
snow report
Bergmeister, yep - it's really the winter insulation that you're gonna care about! Otherwise... Skullie
snow report
Winter tires??? Where are you planning to drive to?

Calgary, Banf, LL, Golden, Revy are all on the Trans Can. We're not talking some hairpin strewn mountain pass here but the main East-West highway kept open at all cost. Sure it closes occasionally, but if you're already "there", why drive somewhere else until the snow's cleared? Most of the other places you might want to go are on major routes as well, with maybe the exception of Castle.

Winter insulation? Night/cab heaters ("furnaces"- can't see them being much different to the Eberspacher types we have over here) sip diesel parsimoniously. You would probably need the thing on full blast ALL day to burn maybe three bucks in diesel, and have to wind the windows down not to become a greasy spot on the floor. And if it gets really cold, or you just fancy a change, you could always check into a motel...............

Utensiles? Take some travel plates/knives etc, buy the odd pot if needed, but most importantly of all, eat out...........

The only real problem as I see would be the freezing of carried water (for showers/washing if you can't get on a site), but that's the first question you would want assurances on from the hirer.

The easiest option? No way. Practical? Definitely borderline. Something you'll still be talking about in 25 years? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin .

If Carlsberg made thoroughly mad, but potentially unforgettable trips, this would probably be it.

Hell, if you need a buddy, give me a shout. We'd get the cost of the trip back from the advance on the book deal alone, probably millionaires from the film rights................. wink
snow report
I wouldn't dream of attempting it to save money - I wouldn't jeopardise my investment in flights, lift passes and scarce annual leave for a small saving over a cheap hotel. But if you've a sense of adventure, it sounds like enormous fun and a way to make your trip truly memorable.
ski holidays
Winter tyres aren't all about snow - they are about grip on the round as belwo about 0 conventional tyres go brittle and lose grip, below about -10/-15 IMHO you need them, especially on a huge heavy box on wheels. I would want to be able to stop when I press the brake

We've done 3 winters here and I wouldn't go without them. Honestly. I really wouldn't want to go over the kicking horse or any other bridge without them.

But I agree you can always go for it and check into motels if required.
ski holidays
PS plus the insurance it comes with has $5000 deductible, and its 20 more per day for reducing that to 500.

plus of course I think you will find GST added.

Still - thinking about it I want you to try now. It will be fun for us and interesting.
latest report
What about gas? That big box will take a lot more fuel to move about.

I think I'm pretty adventureous. But I'd rather try that in the summer first before trying it in winter...

But hey, the worst it could happen is, well not freeze to death. But rather, you'll end up having to check into a motel and realize you spend the moeny of a campervan to be used as an expensive, fuel thirsty ordinary van.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy