Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - new to the forum so a new post!

Can anyone advise me on the journey driving to Kitz? I have already booked the ferry so I'll be starting from Dunkirk (£12.50 each way).

Whats the best route? - I was thinking Belgium/Germany; avoiding much of French motorway tolls.

Also, I understand that driving in the alps requires snow chains to be carried by law depending on conditions. Does this relate to certain roads and do these certain roads feature within the journey? Kitz is low so I'm wondering if I'd need them?

Any advice or any other pointers welcome!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need winter tyres to drive in Austria in the winter (even in the lowlands), although maybe (I don't know!) having chains would be good enough - check this though. Also to drive on the motorways in Austria you need to buy the vignette (from a service station etc) which I think is somewhere around 10/15 euros (if you are using a sat nav remember to have toll roads enabled!!). I'd go through Germany and make use of the autobahn, but google maps will help you check route times.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll also need winter or M+S tyres too - by law!! and a Vignette. But at least you can avoid Toll roads going from Dunkerque

"Driving in Winter
All vehicles driving on snow-covered roads must have winter tires during the winter season (Nov - April) or risk a fine if pulled over. Alternatively, all-season tires (if marked for M&S: mud and snow) are also acceptable during the winter season. Snow chains are not compulsory but must be carried in areas under advisory. Snow chains on summer tires – as an alternative to winter tires - are only accepted if the entire road is heavily covered with snow and no damage to the road is caused by the snow chains. These winter provisions are strictly enforced and control points are common.

Driving on motorways requires a VIGNETTE (toll sticker)
A vignette can be purchased at most petrol stations and at border entry points. 10-day Vignettes cost 7.70 Euros (2-month Vignettes cost 22.20) and should be displayed on the internal side of the car's windscreen and permits travel on all motorways within Austria. This is strictly enforced by motoway patrols and failure to comply will result in on the spot fines. (Most hire cars will come with a vignette supplied.)"

http://www.austria.info/uk/travel-planning/austria-by-road-1134817.html#lat=46.63435&lng=14.39209&zoom=6&type=0
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dredgey, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
We have some Snowheads who are based in Germany who will probably post useful tips. However, here's my 2p worth.
I agree that going through Belgium and using the free German autobahns is your best bet. It's worthwhile filling up in Luxemburg as it has the cheapest fuel prices see European fuel prices.

If you intend using Austrian motorways you need to buy a vignette, a 10 day one costs 7.70 Euros.

In order to comply with the regs of all the countries you'll be driving through you'll need a warning triangle and an approved high visibility reflective jacket (best to keep this inside the car rather than the boot so you can get at it straight away if necessary).

I'll let others comment on the legal technicalities regarding tyres and snowchains, but if you are on summer tyres I would definitely take some chains with you, know how to fit them, and have a headtorch and some gloves with you in case you do need to fit them. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't comment on the best route as far as Munich, but once you are past Munich you just head down the A8 and follow the signs to Innsbruck. After the border at Kufstein you can drive to the first exit at Kufstein Süd, which is also marked 'Kitzbühel', without buying a Vignette. It's important to get off the motorway at that exit though or the Austrian police will enjoy taking you to pieces for not paying your dues! They do so frequently so don't try messing with them. Kitz is then clearly signposted the rest of the way. No problem.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang is right about not needing vignette, following the route he suggests (that takes you just about to St. Johann and then along to Kitzbühel). It is the sensible way to go (if you drive on to Wörgl on the autobahn and then along the Brixental you will need a vignette; if you do want to approach Kitzbühel via the Brixental, however, you can reach the Brixental after getting off the autobahn at Kufstein Süd - have a look at a map to see the connecting road, it's the B171, I think). Kufstein Süd is actually the second exit on the autobahn after the Austrian border , where the road crosses the river Inn (the first, Kufstein Nord, would take you through the town of Kufstein but would also be possible).

Winter tyres are the best solution for driving. You should probably have chains with you, if you are on summer tyres, though there's quite a good chance you wouldn't use them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies.

So the route seems pretty straight forward; I plan to make the most of the Autobhans!

Just so I'm clear - can I drive there on my normal tyres as long as I carry snow chains (I have an Audi A4 Quattro Estate so need x2 sets!)? Slightly confused that I need to buy winter tyres or tyres marked with M+S on them? Appreciate that winter tyres would be the best choice but surely not compulsary?

I'll get the vignette either way as its less hassle to spend the €7.70 and be done with it. I've read I can buy one at the boarder?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dredgey, winter tyres are the law in Austria

From the AA advice

Winter equipment – All Motorists have the legal obligation to adapt their vehicle to winter weather conditions.
Between the 1st November and the 15th April vehicles must be fitted with winter tyres (which must be marked M&S on the side walls and have a minimum tread depth of 4mm) or all-season tyres which must be marked M&S (mud and snow) and if roads have a covering of snow, slush or ice outside these dates.
Theoretically snow chains on summer tyres can be used as an alternative to winter tyres where the road is heavily covered with snow and no damage to the road surface is caused by the snow chains. In practice, because road conditions and the weather can not be predicted, use of winter tyres is effectively compulsory.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at this forum there are also lots of others on this topic.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57031&highlight=tyres
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I can buy one at the boarder

... not from me you can't... Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dredgey, there are tons of threads about winter tyres on here. The gist of it is that while not actually compulsory in Germany, if you are caught with tyres that are not appropriate for the current conditions you can get fined. The exact meaning of that ruling is not quite clear. If you have an accident then it is not clear whether the insurance will pay up or not, but safer to assume not. In Austria the ruling is similar, but it explicitly states that in conditins with ice or snow on the road you have to have winter tyres on all four wheels. Period.
As far as snow chains are concerned, in Austria the ruling is that on any road that has snow chain signs you have to mount snow chains, regardless of whether you have 2wd or 4wd and regardless of whether you are using winter tyres or not.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What Steilhang says about winter tyres in Austria is right - almost. I.e. between 1st November and 15th April they are compulsory in conditions of snow, slush or ice on the road, with one possible exception in that using chains is allowed as an alternative to winter tyres if there is complete or virtually complete snow coverage on the road. If the roads are not wintry, you don't need winter tyres but obviously it snows here sometimes in the winter months (and often freezes).

For those who can read German, the official Austrian pronouncement on this can be seen at Erlass Winterreifenpflicht, particularly in section 3.2 (private cars come under class N1).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
True. But I think we can cut a long story short by saying that you need winter tyres, and if you don't have them then this can happen:

4. Vorgangsweise bei Verstößen:

Ein Verstoß gegen die Winterreifenpflicht (§ 102 Abs. 8a KFG) bzw. gegen die Pflicht, bei bestimmten Schwerfahrzeugen Schneeketten mitzuführen (§ 102 Abs. 9 KFG), ist gem. § 134 Abs. 1 KFG mit einer Geldstrafe bis 5.000 Euro bedroht.

And it should be pointed out that the Austrian police are sons of bitches, almost, but not quite, at the level of the Swiss police. So don't even think about trying to mess with them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems I've opened up widely discussed topic here as Steilhang has mentioned; there's a lot of threads on the site which I've also read.

From reading all the threads (and other sources from the web) it seems in a nutshell there are two options:

Get winter tyres fitted OR fit snow chains. Either measure only becomes relevant depending on the road conditions. If an accident occurs, winter tyres are the only guaranteed measure to avoid fines and/or the insurance company not coughing up?

Or is the suggestion that you must fit winter tyres AND have snow chains and if you don't then you will be fined?

Not that I'm intent on breaking the law or anything but I'm slightly relectant to spend a fortune on over cautiousness for a week's skiing where the car won't be driven all week and is only travelling to a low resort. Or am I being too cavalier?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dredgey, speaking from personal experience, the difference between winter tyres and summer tyres at temperatures below +3C is enormous. That applies even if there is no snow or ice. As has been said, even in the valleys in Austria you are almost certain to get snow on the roads. If you don't want to buy tyres then don't drive. That's the best advice I can give you.
ski holidays
dredgey, As Steilhang says, below +3C winter tyres perform much better than summer tyres, so if you own a set it's worth putting them on the car in November, and leaving them on until March.
Yes there's a cost, but while you're using the winter tyres you're saving wear on the summer tyres. Most on here buy a cheap set of steel rims off fleabay and just swap the wheels over twice a year, otherwise you can pay about a tenner per corner to have the tyres swapped over.
ski holidays
Winter tyres are deliberately made soft by adding chemical like silicon into the rubber to improve traction at low temperature and icy condition. The softer compound wears out quickly in the summer. Also winter tyres always have plenty of sips or micro grooves that trap ice to increase friction. There are all-season types with "mud" & Snow" tread patterns which may double as winter types. In general the type manufacturer would rate his tyres for winter driving just as he classifies its speed rating.

Driving with UK summer tyres in the Alps not only fouling with the local law but also lower the safety margin for the driver.

Snow chains are not the substitute as they are only useful there there is a snow blanket on the ground and the car is driven below 50kph or 30mph.

I think it should be pretty obvious that if a UK vehicle is involved in an accident then its tyres will be critically looked at and assessed. I don't know how much of not having the right equipment can affect the insurance position but the damage would be self-inflicted if a UK driver persists with driving summer tyres in winter on the Alps mountain passes.
snow conditions
Quote:

otherwise you can pay about a tenner per corner to have the tyres swapped over.

that's what we now do. After the winter driving, with piles of hard snow, some roads in poor condition, lots of pot holes etc, the tracking is generally out a bit anyway, so I think it's worthwhile getting that professionally checked.

I can completely understand someone reluctant to get winter tyres for one week's driving (and in France, it's not necessary - maybe dredgey should go to France instead. wink ) But it is true that the winter tyres are good for driving in the UK in cold weather too, and that you only wear out one set of tyres at a time.
latest report
dredgey, I bought winter tyres last year and ran them in the UK from October to April and boy was I glad I did - they make so much difference in the UK winter. Plus of course on the ski trips.

While it is a big initial outlay - swapping them around for the summer means less wear overall and it balances out.
snow report
If one drives to the Alps to ski it can be one hell of a mess if the car suddenly unable to go up a gradient when there is traffic behind and on coming around a bend. Usually in such occasion a passing space to fit snow chain is miles away.

The experience of fitting snow chains at the road side in darkness while the traffic splashing snow and water around could would be what you want to avoid by having a set of Winter tyres, even if you think nothing of your own safety.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy