Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serious question: used transceivers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so my thread over on Buy/Sell/Exchange has gone awry but I can still get some very useful info.

Is it safe to buy a used transceiver?

If not, would you still use one that a guide lends to you? What about a rented one for the day?

If yes, what would you look for when buying one?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd want to test it before buying.

I'm not sure I would buy a second hand one for myself to use 'properly,' but as per your other thread you only really need one that sends out the signal for your soon, if (I hope you never have to) you have to search for him, as obviously he's too young to really serch for you atm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could always ask the manufacturers how much it would cost to have one properly tested.

I had a couple repaired by NicImpex and I was surprised how little they charged.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd consider factoring the cost of getting the unit serviced into the second hand price. I'd want to know it worked over and above my own testing regimen (which would be stringent but I cannot test for frequency drift in an older analogue beacon). Every guide I've skied with has had a story about client(s) who skied for ages with their own non-functional beeper. If I'm hiring one then I tend to want to see send and receive before we go anywhere.

Personally, and it is a personal choice, it is one of the few things I would almost always buy new, rather like ropes and the few items of climbing gear I own. I know where my beacon is right now and I know it has never been dropped in the toilet or accidentally peed on or something. I'd take Parlor's advice and go with a new Pieps freeride.

I cannot believe how quickly your thread went to ratshit btw. The assumption that everyone is clueless is corrosive, imv.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like clarky999 says, I think it might depend on what you were using it for. If I were buying for a new beacon for me then I'd probably get tempted by a cheap second hand deal and then get cold feet and decide to pay for a new one because I'd never know for sure it worked 100%.

On the other hand, if it was only for my son, err, just for practising/playing about with (sorry Toofy Grin ) then I'd be happy with anything I could identify (i.e. not stupidly old) and prove worked. Think I'd want to leave it on for a while (hour?) and check it was still picked up by my 'main' beacon, and then maybe turn it on and off a few times and shake it about...just generally check it seemed in reasonable order.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought one which a chap had bought for his mate to use on a ski trip to Canada for 3 weeks. The guy had got well into off piste and then bought a full kit package himself so I got an almost new tracker for £250. It was a guy who worked in my local cycle shop so I knew him a little and reckon he was on the level.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As I said, useful points. I've gone and Googled "frequency drift" as I wasn't aware of it. Thanks gorilla. Here's a link for anyone else interested http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Frequency.asp .
That puts me off the older analogue models, even if the risk is low.

One thing I had completely forgotten until I started these threads was that a few years ago I bought my own transceiver used, from a Le Chable shop. I tested it on that holiday, both searching for and with it. I continue to practice regularly so I know it's functional but I see where people are coming from when they say they would only get new.

Still, my friend's two experiences (one: broken on/off wheel, two: battery fine when we left the room, died on top of the mountain) convinced me that nothing is risk-free...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon wrote:

Still, my friend's two experiences (one: broken on/off wheel, ) convinced me that nothing is risk-free...

My bro had the same problem with his new tracker on 2nd day of use. He's never bothered getting it fixed under warranty as it broke in the on position so it now eliminates another user error the turn off at lunch etc. batteries in = on, batteries out= off.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horizon, I bought one from a bloke on here second hand.

I've tested it and it seems to work fine, so no issues from me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I haven't seen your other post, but I am assuming you want this for somebody who is too young to rescue effectively.

Ortovox do a dog collar and a doggy search unit that looks suspicously like an F1. The collar might be compatable with, and considerably cheaper than, a full transceiver.
I seem to remember somebody used to do transmitters to fix to your skis.

Might be worth investigating.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ortovox Doggy:

http://en.ortovox.com/safety_products/ddoggy.html

It uses the same frequency as ordinary transceivers. Many will argue that this is a bad idea - for dogs.

The transmitter is available on its own for 109 euros:
http://www.waidwerk-international.com/products/navigation/index.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In reality frequency drift only affects older beacons - such as the F1, that used ceramic oscillators.
Modern beacons (digital and analogue) are way less to prone to this phenomena - though its still officially recommended you get them checked every 5 years.
Frequency Drift results in reduced range, but it is easy to test for this and other functionality.

In an ideal world should check the transmit / receive function at start of every tour (or at least semi-regularly).
Not just when you buy it. Anything electronic is prone to short circuits, leaking batteries etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
horizon,

http://www.waidwerk-international.com/products/navigation/index.html

Ortovox Dog Transmitter for your son €109 and Large Location Bell for the Mrs €12:50 sorted ! Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, Laughing Laughing

Since I found the Ortovox Patroller new for 169 Euros, I got that. But the discussion is still interesting!

Haggis_Trap, I check the transmit function every morning and the receive every 2-3 days (when on the mountain of course, not throughout the year! wink ). But admittedly those are quick 20-second checks, the proper ones are only at the start of the week or if/when we practice searching.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy