Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lapland help needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi
we are going to Yllas lapland in december and plan on doing some skiing whilst we are there. I would liek to know if anyone can recommend what type of clothing we will need to buy as when looking it can get up to -28. Are there any particular brands of clothing that are better to buy etc. We have daughter who is 5 and needs to make sure she stays warm. any help appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, having been in Lapland the last two years, and I am a person who does feel the cold, this is what I normally wear.
Normal underwear, silk thermals, ski socks, microfleece top, sallos, ski jacket, silk glove liners, ski mitts as opposed to gloves, neck buff, hat and good quality warm boots. All normal ski stuff, just good quality.
The only time I have needed a bit more was last year, did a snowmobile safari and the temps were -35 and the snowmobile company made us all use their thermal clothes over the top of our normal clothes. I was fine except one small gap on my neck between balaclava and crash helmet, under my chin and I had my first taste of frostbite, very painful.
It is so much colder than say Austria as there is not much sun to warm things up, and the temps change quite quickly throughout the day.
You just learn not to hang around, go inside more times to warm, have more warm drinks and you will be fine. They also have a lot of shelters etc with fires going so go in and have a warm.
You can hire thermal suits, boots, gloves in all their resorts. Any trips you do like husky sleigh,ice karting, snowmobiling etc warm clothes come as part of the package price.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi mnay thanks for the reply that does me a good idea of what i need to buy now. Are there certain brands of clothing that would be better than others, as want good quality clothes. thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One word: wool. A base layer of merino wool will get you a long way. There are still no synthetic fibres that keep you as warm as wool does. Even wet wool keeps you warm. Second thing: protect yourself from the wind. Don't worry too much about water resistance. At those temperatures, the snow will be dry. Brands don't matter too much. Keep your head warm! Keep moving! Resting is what you do inside.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From experience of similar conditions in Lapland (and on one day it was -35), I wore ski thermals and outer garments (jacket, salopettes) plus usual socks, thermal hat, polar and gloves. In addition, was given a one-piece over garment (thermal suit?). That kept most of the cold at bay! Only the feet got a bit chilly, but as said, move around and don't spend too long without seeking inside warmth.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can ski in Lapland in normal ski gear as said above it is about keeping everything warm and making sure most of your skin is covered up. The dry air actually makes it feel quite warm when covered up the biggest problem can be the chill factor from the wind at -28 it doesn't take much of a wind to take the temperature to -50 and below. I have skiied in Northern Norway and Finland/Lapland many times and when there is no wind it oftens feels colder than in the Alps with its more humid weather. Enjoy it is a beautiful area of the world Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OOPS meant often feels colder in the Alps
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy