Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Padlock -best ever

Poster: A snowHead
For those Snowheads wishing to keep their valuable skis without worrying over lunch I've found this product:

http://mo000119.host.inode.at/flash/IWPopFlash_en.php and you can order it from this link : http://www.8gent.com/ current cost is €14.90 plus P+P

I really can't recommend it highly enough
Cool

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-09-10 17:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hope the lock doesn't freeze wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks to be no better than any other cable lock you can get from B&Q.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I eally can't recommend it highly enough

why can't you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks a bit of a faff to me, I like the cable lock I have which can also fasten 2 pairs of skis to a stationary object.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hyweljenkins wrote:
Looks to be no better than any other cable lock you can get from B&Q.

I looks far stronger than the type of cable locks I've seen at B&Q.

Most wire / cable locks work as a visual deterrent. You don't even need wire cutters to break them. This looks like a much stronger offering, not sure I'd want to carry it around but it looks better IMO.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, Quite right and the generic cable locks are also just a single loop, not two and they are much longer/heavier and not really fit for purpose. The plastic shell/retracting cable combo locks are more akin to something you'd put in a Christmas cracker and easily jam/break compared with this padlock

hyweljenkins, This is a ski specific solution which can be used for some snowboards if there is a binding mount.

Mosha Marc, What's a frozen lock? I always save a spare lip wax for protecting car door locks and ski locks too and I've never had a freeze-up so far: I thought everyone did that!

pam w, Somethimes I'm thankful that I can ask other well informed Snowheads who have first hand product knowledge rather than making assumptions based upon appearances. Like most people I foolishly bought one of the generic locks mentioned above which jammed after a few days use and the replacement did just the same, hence when I found the 8gent lock, it was comapritively easy to see the difference and I really have used it for several seasons sucessfully. That's why I can't recommend it highly enough Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jivebaby, if you explain why you've found it good, and better than others, then it's a helpful recommendation. Otherwise, it's not. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

This is a ski specific solution
it's identical to a bike lock I used in Austria recently.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Sorry. I'd naively made a statement without supporting detail –I’ll make sure I say why upfront next time Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Those things look utter tripe. it's just a w*nk cable lock with an extension. In fact minus the extension it looks pretty much identical to a lock we have sitting in our garage bought from wilkinsons. Ok so its better than those really small thin wirey ones but it won't take you long to get through that at all. When i worked in halfords, we'd get bored and see how long it took to break into the locks. Locks twice as thick didn't take very long and we were doing it with insulation strippers rather than any proper cutters. Locks like this really are nothing but a deterant. If someone is planning on cutting locks to steal skis then this isn't really any better than the rubbish thin ones.

At least it's not a combination lock so I suppose that's one good thing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well in the area I ski in I've never seen a locked pair of skis - so I guess it would be a pretty effective deterrent. Once the majority of people use them, they're not so good and if everyone used them they'd be a complete waste of money.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Once the majority of people use them, they're not so good and if everyone used them they'd be a complete waste of money.

The objective of fitting a padlock is to keep/protect your own skis - My turn to ask why??

I'm puzzled why it would be so good or why it would be a waste of money if everyone had them- why would you care as long as your own skis were OK-Hence I'm struggling to make sense of your statement? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You have permission to shoot me if you ever see me locking my skis up (or carrying a thermos flask or those boot sole protector things or a ski carrying device). I'd much rather have them nicked - something that's only happened to me once in 35 years and even then I got them back. In fact, if I were a ski thief, I might be tempted to go after the locked up ones just for a laugh.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, me too.
latest report
Bode Swiller, rolling eyes
snow report
Bode Swiller, Me 3.
snow report
Jivebaby, perhaps people are a bit sceptical of a post that might be seen as marketing.....
ski holidays
parlor, it's nowhere near the one I've got from B&Q - Master Lock Python.
ski holidays
Jivebaby wrote:
I'm puzzled why it would be so good or why it would be a waste of money if everyone had them- why would you care as long as your own skis were OK-Hence I'm struggling to make sense of your statement? Puzzled Puzzled

Because if everyone used one, thieves would have to take out the cable cutters/nail scissors, rather than just picking up an unlocked pair...
ski holidays
Jivebaby, and looking at that it doesn't come close to the ones that I have either http://www.rei.com/product/800079?siteId=cjIsd2x-it3792&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F800079&PID=2946146&AID=10456937&cm_mmc=CJ-_-Aff-_-2946146-_-10456937

See this thread for more info if you really want to investigate the purchase of a decent ski lock http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1432159&highlight=lock#1432159
ski holidays
Quote:

Because if everyone used one, thieves would have to take out the cable cutters/nail scissors, rather than just picking up an unlocked pair...

nail on head. If there are 50 nice unlocked skis outside a restaurant and only one locked pair most thieves (except M.Swiller) will take an unlocked one. If they're all locked, every thief has to have a bolt cutter in his backpack.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

You have permission to shoot me if you ever see me carrying a thermos flask

Better get us lined up against the wall to face the firing squad then - as we certainly enjoy the odd tipple of tea from a thermos in a remote spot away from the pistes. Hard to beat in fact - and a bit better (both visually and economically) than €10 for 2 cuppas in certain mountain restaurants in the 3 Valleys Shocked

Who is unusual? Is it us or Bode Swiller?

Are there any other thermos carrying:sH:s out there?

Oh, and we lock our skis up...

Then again, I wholeheartedly agree with him about those ski carrying devices, I have to say... Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Are there any other thermos carrying:sH:s out there?

Evil or Very Mad my only injury last season was caused by a thermos flask in my backpack; an out of control Frenchman hit me from behind and I landed on it. My ribs were bruised for weeks and weeks. I was not damaged by the baguette stuffed with jambon cru and Beaufort or the pains au raisins. The flask survived and the contents were enjoyed on a picnic bench with a very friendly French couple from whom I learned some interesting bits of history of the area.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

nail on head. If there are 50 nice unlocked skis outside a restaurant and only one locked pair most thieves (except M.Swiller) will take an unlocked one. If they're all locked, every thief has to have a bolt cutter in his backpack.

I would still advocate splitting pairs (as opposed to the usual snowHead practice of splitting hairs) so your hypothetical thief (French, I suspect) would be faced with 98 odd skis and one whole pair protected by glorified speaker wire that a baby could gnaw through. "Sacre bleu, ou est mes wire cutters?"
snow report
Quote:

my only injury last season was caused by a thermos flask in my backpack; an out of control Frenchman hit me from behind and I landed on it.
I don't know if it's a ski patrol myth but there is a story of such an incident where the flask did break and it was full of tomato soup. A gory scene, bystanders fainting etc.
Anyway, I rest my case, they aren't very good at cushioning falls eh?
snow report
Megamum,

ith respect I am aware that some ladies prefer length...but 5 foot= 1.5m for a ski lock weighs in at how many briicks? You could coral a herd of debutantes all wearing skis with back packs with a monster that long. The lock I proposed is strong, light and will secure two pairs of skis and slips neatly back into a chest pocket in my jacket.

I'm not saying that the Kryptonite isn't a fanstically wonderful splediferous bit of Super-hero kit -but not everyone needs Superman to make the tea, which is why we have kettles. BTW you and Clak Kent aren't related are you ? Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Jivebaby, don't give up the day job. Sell people what they want. If Megamum wants 1.5m she shall have it... And I'm fairly sold on the idea of locking together numerous debutantes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always see locks as a deterrent to stop people from nicking your skis so must admit don't really see the point in something so heavy duty (that you have to carry around all day)

If you wanted to nick the skis that badly just un screw one of the toe pieces (or slide off if your skis are track mounted) and away u go! the little cable locks do just as good a job if u ask me!
snow report
I'm in the small retractable cable lock camp purely as a deterrent in the hope they'll pinch someone else's. I'm not carrying heavy/lengthy cabling round in my pocket all day.
snow report
Splitting skis is not a bad idea. Trouble is, my OH tends to forget where he puts his share, so I have to remember two locations. wink
ski holidays
I carry a retractible cable lock, which I use if my ski's are out of sight or I'm going to be settled in for lunch. Under no illusions of complete security, that it's only a deterrent and it probably wouldn't foil the determined thief, but if it reduces the already small changes of having skis nicked then I'm happy to spend 5 seconds locking it up.

Do carry energy bars and hip flask (I'm a JD man), but not a thermso flask because of the size and bulk, time they take to prepare in the morning, and the fact that I'm not a 65 year old rambler on Bodmin Moor.
latest report
Jivebaby, It weigh's in at very few bricks actually (I doubt it weighs much more than yours in the great scheme of things actually!) - it also allows for the securing of many skis together (I am often dealing with four sets), and the extra length is useful for dipping down through the kids bindings (much lower than on the adult skis) and still getting them secured to the ski rack - particuarly if you are in the middle of the rack and are trying to get round the top which is often about 1-5 ft off the ground. 1.5m is not that long when you start to wind it through lots of skis, and to honest I'd sooner get the job done quickly with the extra length and get the beers down my neck rather than faff with a shorter length shifting gear around until it all works. They also roll up and fit in a side hand pocket on a jacket. The difference is also that I didn't feel the need to ram them down someone's neck I offered what I had found with an explanation as to why it worked for me and left folks to make their own decision in that thread I linked to. B.t.w. I make my own tea, and I'm happy to kick Superman's butt (and yours Little Angel ) any day of the week!! Laughing
latest report
[quote="Bode Swiller"]You have permission to shoot me if you ever see me locking my skis up (or carrying a thermos flask or those boot sole protector things or a ski carrying device)....quote]

Am I a complete lady's front bottom?

Ski Lock- Check
Cat Tracks - Check
Ski Strap - Check

Thermos flask - Well there's an idea

To paraphrase Meatloaf 3 out of 4 aint bad wink
ski holidays
Megamum, dou you really carry that thing in your jacket pocket? I can't imagine it being remotely comfortable (especially on lifts), and I certainly wouldn't want to take a tumble and land on it. If you feel the need to carry hardware like that why don't you use a pack?
snow report
Dr John, It's smaller than you might imagine. Rolls to about the size of a small wallet and about the same weight - I'm not conscious of it in my pocket. Why carry a pack when I can fit it in my jacket? The pocket it sits in is waist height on the front of the jacket it won't be easy to fall on and if I was to do a belly flop your tummy is soft. If I carried a pack (just for the lock Puzzled ) it would upset my balance and be awkward on lifts.
snow report
Quote:

The difference is also that I didn't feel the need to ram them down someone's neck I offered what I had found with an explanation as to why it worked for me and left folks to make their own decision in that thread I linked to.

Who was ramming anything down anyone`s neck ? Jivebaby pointed us to a product he/she rated. We can check it out, ask questions, whatever. He doesn`t need to adduce supporting arguments though I`m sure he/she would be happy to provide if asked. Why the rabid Snowhead response ?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 7-09-10 21:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

The difference is also that I didn't feel the need to ram them down someone's neck

Er... sorry but you DO feel the need to ram your opinion down everyones neck on EVERY subject on this forum, however unqualified!!
snow conditions
jonty, That's the standard Snowhead response

SteveKirby, I concur

It never really occurred to me that this was a advert originally and although it does seem that way, it still makes no difference to the fact that the product looks cr*p. Also Megamum, that Kryptonite lock looks just as bad. Plus it's a combination which makes it worse. Maybe it was just the locks I've tried but a bit of tension on the barrel and turning the dials leads to an obvious movement whenever you hit a correct number. Shadey to say the least. Keys for the win! As for locks for skis in general, anything that's going to do the job better than just as a deterant is not worth carrying around.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy