Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuck on a ski lift.... after it has closed.... you... have to....

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, I am sure this is just a technique oversight on my behalf but what is the protocol to get off the ski lift, if you happen to get stuck on it.... once the ski resort has closed? Razz

I was sent the trailer for this movie coming out called Frozen:

http://youtube.com/v/t5xNthNKdD0

It's irritating me because I am sure there's a very simply solution to the whole problem. Any insight would be great, as it would prevent me spending 3 hours sitting in the cinema just to find out how they get out! Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This has happened IRL a few times hasn't it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Isn't it very very very unlikely that it would ever happen in the reall world?

As far as I am aware when the lover lift station closes the entrance they then turn up the next few seats or put a pole ot some other marker onto the seat and not let anyone on after this.

Therefore when it gets to the top the top lift station knows there's noone on the lift.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes this happened, in Wengen. Not a happy ending. Sad Very long time ago though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm definitely sending this video to some first-timers who are coming on our trip next January. Just to get them in the mood a bit, and calm their nerves.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
streaky, Have plenty of cash on you to burn!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair, I'm not too familiar with this technique... you will have to do a live demonstration for me first please!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It happened in Les Arcs in 2005.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=113306
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's two real life examples then... any more? Shocked

(I think there's a good low-tech mitigation for this eventuality by the way: carry a loud whistle).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This looks really lame. They should have just done like Michel Blanc in les Bronzés

http://youtube.com/v/6EDp5OXMZuo
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When he shuts the lift, lifty at the bottom calls the top with a chair number. When that chair arrives at the top, they stop the lift. On a gondola or a chair which downloads people they call the number and let the line do a full circuit before stopping the lift.

The money-burning berk got on a uplift-only chair to go down. Lifty at the top didn't see him and he got stuck half way down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Not as unlikely as it ought to be. A guy left on a chairlift in Meribel some years ago would have died if others in his chalet hadn't raised the alarm. They found him around 1 am I believe - watching the little twinkling lights of the warm and cosy bars down below. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Not as unlikely as it ought to be. A guy left on a chairlift in Meribel some years ago would have died if others in his chalet hadn't raised the alarm. They found him around 1 am I believe - watching the little twinkling lights of the warm and cosy bars down below. wink davidof, is the language in "Les Bronzés..." very difficult? I'd love to watch it but fear it might be well beyond my linguistic skills.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
how about this film http://www.collider.com/2010/02/03/shawn-ashmore-exclusive-video-interview-frozen/

just the job for someone in your family who's already scared of chairlifts!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Umm.
ski holidays
Mobile phone?

I have to say it amused me that the top of the Youtube suggested list of other videos to watch was Pingu in Paradise
http://youtube.com/v/V8JKayiHbFg
snow report
There should be a resort emergency number on the piste map.

Get it into your phone on the first day in resort as it may come in useful Cool
snow report
Quote:

is the language in "Les Bronzés..." very difficult? I'd love to watch it but fear it might be well beyond my linguistic skills.

You can download it, and download subtitles to go with it.

(Though obviously I couldn't possibly recommend such an illicit course of action.)
ski holidays
Lizzard, Well if it wasn't such an illicit course of action I would, of course, have a go at it. Thanks.
latest report
Always carry edible underwear -
http://youtube.com/v/ZUc77Dn8Me0
snow report
skibomb, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I consume enormous amounts of calories while skiing and always have a sizable stash of chocolates and cookies in my pack. From now on, I'll be packing extra just in case...
snow conditions
Just jump out the chairlift and ski off like James Bond.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
davidof, is the language in "Les Bronzés..." very difficult? I'd love to watch it but fear it might be well beyond my linguistic skills.

it is quite visual...

Les Bronzés probably the definitive comedy ski movie, all the gags are there. It has cult status in France.

I can't speak highly enough of Popeye (Thierry Lhermitte) who I bumped into in l'Alpe d'Huez while he was filming Snowboarder. A very good skier but more into ski de fond these days. We had lunch and he is really a very pleasant guy. very charismatic. The actors on Les Bronzés are all great friends in real life and the film reflects, maybe to the detriment of the production as they were having too much fun themselves.

As an interesting aside the singer of the title song, Just Because of You, Jean-Denis Perez is still indispute over royalties, 33 years after recording the song. He recalls that he turned up for the session, everything was done on a handshake and never followed up payment. In 2000 he recalled that he'd never received any royalties and so began a 10 year legal battle. Like an Dickensian epic he was back in court this summer. The film company claims he was "part of the chorus" and had no distinct voice. Well in fact they claimed they'd never ever met the guy and he was in imposter. A voice analysis confirmed that Perez is indeed the singer. Perez is looking for 800,000 euros. The song has sold over a million copies worldwide and the film has been watched by 25 million people (maybe more with Lizzard's download link).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 6-09-10 20:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
No, no, no. Push the person next to you off the lift. If they land OK, jump on top of them, if they land badly, hope they can crawl to help (it's downhill isn't it ??). Alternatively jump on them for a slightly softer landing, ask them to remove their skis and boots to facilitate.
snow report
Genuine Story - Friend of mine being down-loaded after breaking her arm, no buddies, no phone.

lift stopped for the day......

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 6-09-10 21:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
skibomb, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I consume enormous amounts of calories while skiing and always have a sizable stash of chocolates and cookies in my pack. From now on, I'll be packing extra just in case...

Bridget Jones knickers rather than a Thong then. Laughing
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Bridget Jones knickers rather than a Thong then. Laughing

I was talking about extra choccies Shocked

But you may be onto something there... it would be like a three-course meal and I'd be munching all the way through to lift startup in the morning, nom nom.
snow report
I always carry a flask of 12 year old scotch while skiing, so getting stuck on a ski lift for the night wouldn't pose a problem. Drunk stupor until rescue arrives Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've always got a mobile and in case of no signal I always have a whistle pinned inside a pocket on a lanyard (well you wouldn't expect me not to would you?) the kids always carry whistles too. The jury seems out on whether its three or six blasts to get help (try Googling it and you will see what I mean), but I've always told the kids its 6 blasts on the whistle. I guess it could be heard if you weren't too high up.
snow conditions
Butterfly wrote:
I have to say it amused me that the top of the Youtube suggested list of other videos to watch was Pingu in Paradise
http://youtube.com/v/V8JKayiHbFg
yes, it was almost bizarre !
however, when I was watching the trailer of people freezing, I did not find the ads for Cooling Tower Coils and Frozen Yogurt Machines tasteful,
ski holidays
Quote:

The song has sold over a million copies worldwide

It's out there as a mobile ringtone as well - makes people laugh in the telecabines. Laughing
ski holidays
I can see the sequel of the film, Frozen II: Escape of the snowhead.

It will be a 3 hour epic movie depicting the trials of 3 friends getting stuck on a ski lift in La Rosiere. During the night, they chomp through all their reserve of Snowhead endorsed choccie biccies, a bit of the old Snickers left from lunch before washing it down with some scotch. At some time during all this, one of the snowhead decides to make an escape raft out of 100% pure cotton grannie underpants. The other two are too busy stuffing their faces to notice..

By day break, our brave snowheads are breathing but barely just! Their Keela Munro jackets have saved them! The emergency services arrive and gallantly rescues them to safety. All is well and everyone is happy.. only except they can't account for the mysterious missing person! In the ambulance, the snowheads empties out their pockets and finds two mobile phones, with full bar reception.

Wearily, the finally make it back to their chalet. When they open the door, they find the missing snowhead mingling with the local alcoholics singing "England til I die" at the bar.

- The end - Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
streaky, you want to run that one by us again? Smile
snow report
Sequels always suck wink
ski holidays
As Admin says, it did happen in Les Arcs a few years back. As a result, all lifts must now have a marker on them and this marker has to make a complete round before they can stop the lift after it has been closed. And they have someone at the gate to stop anyone stupid enough to try and get on the lift when the gate has been closed by going under or over the fence.

The problem in Les Arcs was that they got on the lift after it was offically closed and as it was the Mont blanc chair lift and it goes through a big forest and there was know way even with a whistle that anyone unless skiing off piste in the forest could have heard them. Also it is a mobile phone black spot. They were very lucky, they spent the night on the chair as it was far to high to junp from, the next morning when the chair started up they appeared at the top, were taken to hospital and recovered. There own fault so did not get much out of the resort. I heard a free lift pass was all. Could be wrong about that though.
snow report
streaky wrote:
I can see the sequel of the film, Frozen II: Escape of the snowhead.

It will be a 3 hour epic movie depicting the trials of 3 friends getting stuck on a ski lift in La Rosiere. During the night, they chomp through all their reserve of Snowhead endorsed choccie biccies, a bit of the old Snickers left from lunch before washing it down with some scotch. At some time during all this, one of the snowhead decides to make an escape raft out of 100% pure cotton grannie underpants. The other two are too busy stuffing their faces to notice..

By day break, our brave snowheads are breathing but barely just! Their Keela Munro jackets have saved them! The emergency services arrive and gallantly rescues them to safety. All is well and everyone is happy.. only except they can't account for the mysterious missing person! In the ambulance, the snowheads empties out their pockets and finds two mobile phones, with full bar reception.

Wearily, the finally make it back to their chalet. When they open the door, they find the missing snowhead mingling with the local alcoholics singing "England til I die" at the bar.

- The end - Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing

Were they rescued by Extrax the mountain heli-extraction division of Vacstrax......

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 10-09-10 11:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
streaky,
Very Happy
Quote:

100% pure cotton grannie underpants

Surely not? No snowhead could possibly set off without 'snug fitting wicking underwear' Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy