Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm snow - skied again - 2 September

Poster: A snowHead
The best remaining snow patch on Cairngorm (Ciste Mhearad) was skied again two days ago, by Hilly and Alan of the Winterhighland forum:

http://youtube.com/v/AnoUW-W5acA

Comment: http://www.winterhighland.com/forum/read.php?2,125119,page=2
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen (Hilly) has also compiled her five epic runs on the Coire Cas headwall, skied between 2 August and 2 September:

http://youtube.com/v/ydeT4GrOe5M
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

(Hilly) has also compiled her five epic runs on the Coire Cas headwall, skied between 2 August and 2 September:

Well done Helen. That's dedication for you - hiking for an hour or more to ski that! Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocked Shocked the things people do for snow! lol
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great effort...possibly not enough to forgive the 'blades' though Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shorter piste = less turns. However shorter planks = more turns! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely Daft, Helen, but I'm glad you did it. (Was there a shovel and probe in your backpack?)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How long until a leftover patch of snow officially becomes a glacier? Has it just got to last the season?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It certainly has to persist through many summers and compress to ice. I would imagine it has to move under its own weight (or can static ice be a glacier?)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So will the Ciste Mheariad patch be big enough to ski on this weekend? I'm coming over to CairnGorm on Sunday for a ski race up the hill road from Glenmore to the Cas Carpark (classic style) but should I stick a pair of blades in if the weather is nice for a bit of sking on snow?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blades Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, blades, but he's turning them like he could steer 205s around a sixpence. Full credibility
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops,

Come over to cairngorm on Sunday*, race up to the Cas carpark from Glenmore on classic roller skis, then carry a pair of full size skis (and boots) up to the snow patches above the Ptarmigan tow without use of the train. The blades just mean there is less for me to carry.

* You'll have to come to our skate race on Saturday as there is no race registration on Sunday, latest registration for Sunday is at lunch at our race day at Huntly Ski Centre.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Horsley, Boarder in peace Little Angel , no problem with blades, just that they have been described as a useless tool by many in the past on here.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is what makes the web brilliant - seeing that someone had genuinely done that. Fantastic !!
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
Dave Horsley, Boarder in peace Little Angel , no problem with blades, just that they have been described as a useless tool by many in the past on here.

Aye. Idiots that don't realise that without that 'useless tool' they still be ski-ing on 1980s style four metre long skis.
snow conditions
Esco, rayscoops, Interesting comment, Im not sure that anyone actually said useles did they?. Horses for courses

Problem is that certian products become for better or worse associated with different sub sections of society. For example Burberry, a very high quiality product has an association, likewise there is a steretypical blade user. I think the OP would realise that comments were made in jest and in no way a refelection on them or their ability.

Given that 'blades' have really been around since the late 1930's (admittendly not mass market) i would be interested in how they drove the mass ski market? (genuine question)
I also wonder why the 'blades' , had such a short 'heyday' and why they faded so rapidly from the (mass) scene.
snow report
Aye sorry, it wasn't blades that drove the mass ski market, nor made the change. It was skiboards in the 90s. As Line owner Jason Levinthal states, the skiboard was designed to do things you couldn't do with skis of the period, which also explains the short 'heyday' - once the ski manufacturers realised they were losing custom to Line and other indie manufacturers, they altered the styles of skis to closer to that of the skiboards, hence the skis that we see today (especially true of twin tips). Thus there was less 'point' to actually taking it up in the first place.

After that, I would guess that there was little point the big manufacturers promoting an item that, essentially, they couldn't make as much profit on, so it went back to the underground. I'd also guess that the increased accessibility of skiboards (mainly the fact they are cheaper and more portable) is a bain to the massed ranks of English upper middle class wannabes, as thats where most of the hating comes from. Ironically, given your example of Burberry, its these same folk that are the sterotypical blade users you've described, whove picked up a pair of Salomans s*itty offerings because its 'cheap and fun for all the family'. Inselaffen, as we say in home country.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy