Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
surfstar wrote:
So all in all how was this years season in Les Arcs? ....

Worst in living memory, I've heard locals say..... daresay there will be experts along in a minute to say otherwise though wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
allanm, really depends on how long your living memory is, mine reminds me that in 1993 Les Get and Morzine were both green in March and we had to drive up to Avoriaz each day.

As for Paradiski what a credit to the resorts management that the Vanoise is still open today!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allanm, worst in living memory for da yoot and those with Alziemhers (sp) only I think - local or totherwise

My own memory agrees with BS above that it was often worse in the early-mid 90's - and I only have mild parkys and alcoholism.

This was a poor season sans doute. 7/20, made worse by the Easter Hordes coming when all these places should have shut down at the end of March.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

s for Paradiski what a credit to the resorts management that the Vanoise is still open today!

To be fair going back and forth on that is the only thing to do wink

There was enough to keep us happy for the week and some decent skiing in places, was amazing that could ski back to Vallandry everyday.

The gin and tonics on a sunny balcony were however excellent!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
codger, Great report Junior. Pleased you did not try to smuggle the animals home. I plan to eat there again this week, maybe the rabbit dish this time. I agree the ride up the hill was fun. Good idea to do some training before next winter, just think of all those great off piste trips I was pointing out to all of you with those 'little' walkouts. See you, mum and dad next winter if not before.

surfstar, the season here in Les Arcs (Paradiski) is not over yet. Since Saturday we have skied all the way down to Arc 1600 before it closed yesterday. Also down to Arc 1800 which you can still do on one piste which they are keeping in ok condition until the end of this week at least. Also all the way down to Peisey and the Vanoise Express which is also still open. Both the Blue and Red piste down are ok.

Today we went over to the Bellecote Glacier, had a good ski high up on good spring snow and then made our way down to Bellecote La Plagne and home on very slushy but ok pistes. Managed not to scratch my skis or go over any muddy patches all day. Even found a new waterslide on the way home as the Altiport waterslide is now shut.

For anyone interested, getting over to the VE is not a problem and although conditions in La Plagne are not as good as last week, high up they are fine so there is still plenty of skiing to be had on the La Plagne side this week. Just make sure you get the extension to your Les Arcs pass or make them give you a Paradiski pass as we had to do this morning which works out cheaper for three days in La Plagne. The rumours that the VE is closed are not true, but you do need to check each day due to the warm temps lower down.

In Les Arcs, the 2000 bowl it is still ok, although busy and if you stay high there are plenty of on and off piste places to ski on spring snow if you follow the sun. Hope those out this week have a good holiday. I will be in George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 most days after skiing if anyone wants to meet up for a beer or arrange to come for a ski with us as I am staying in 1950 all week. Very nice. I do like the pool, sauna and steam room.

Check out my facebook group page (link below) for the most up-to-date info on conditions which I will try and update every morning at about 8.30am.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowcrazy....Are you a millionaire? as you just ski n drink in Georges everyday? just a bit jealous that's all!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, red 27, Et Al , Just noticed this. Amazes me that people say conditions were 'fine'.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ady944, it's a hard life but someone has to do it.

I will post todays update in the morning as I have just got home and am going to bed.

But must add, we did find some nice spring snow this afternoon off piste, but the bad news is you could not ski down to Arc 1800 either this afternoon.

More to follow later. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
allanm, the article states "Snow depths are 40% to 80% less than normal although this is less marked at altitude." But how much snow is needed to ski on? It doesn't really matter that snow depths are lower as long as there's enough to ski on.

I found last week that where there was snow it pretty much was fine to ski, we were out at least 10am-3pm every day - some days 9.15am-5pm. The problem was that some areas lower down lacked any snow altogether. It was occasionally frustrating with so many people skiing in a smaller area, or that conditions dictated that we could cover less ground in our time. Yes I've certainly skied in conditions that were a lot better, and maybe if I had the luxury of skiing more often (manage approx 2 weeks a year) then I'd not bother, but seriously I did find the conditions fine, and quite enjoyed the challenge.

Perhaps if I had my own skis and the patches of stones and rocks were trashing my skis I may feel differently, but I just give mine back to the shop at the end of the week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
surfstar wrote:
So all in all how was this years season in Les Arcs? ....

IMHO it was all pretty bad, Christmas / January being better than March though. In March I would have got really fed up had we not gone to 3V & EK a number of times. Because of the further deteriorating conditions we decided not to bother returning in April, although gutted to not eek a bit more out of the passes.

worst-snow-in-living-memory-accordingo-meteo-france -- Puzzled

Next winter is going to be EPIC... apparently Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite, yes I found it very frustrating at how busy the slopes were in many places. For me it felt like I was just getting down each piste and avoiding collisions rather than skiing. Until we found the glacier at Bellecote. It was certainly quieter there and even more so after my hasty exit Embarassed Madeye-Smiley I haven't had an opportunity to check out my skis yet, they are all awaiting attention in the garage. No doubt there will be some nasty scrapes.

We're used to April skiing and generally love it but this year just wasn't to be. From what we saw of the two areas, the potential for skiing in a normal season looks great.

EDIT my previous ski trip was to La Giettaz so it probably felt exceptionally busy to me, when in fact it was just very busy Laughing I was spoilt there snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yesterday we made it to Mont Albert and one last lunch at the Forperet. Did not have to walk once on the way there on the La Plagne side until we reached the road 200m above the restaurant. Great meal as always, they still make the best omelettes in the paradiski in my opinion. They even gave us all a ride back up to the road in there minibus as the tractor was broken this time.

The pistes on the Les Arcs side are still ok in the Arc 2000 bowl with only a few bare patches, hard and frozen in the morning after the night time re-freeze and soft and slushy lower down with nice spring snow higher up in the afternoon once the sun has been at the slopes for a while. Keep following the sun and you can still have a good days skiing.

However going down to the Vanoise Express in Peisey or to Vallandry is now very difficult and you must walk in places or down lift. The links from Les Coches into the main la Plagne section are still open until the end of this weekend, but you must walk the final 200m to the Gondola. You can still reach the VE without walking on the way back just. We were also able to get right down to Plagne 1800 Chair lift on the way to Mont Albert, but on the return you must walk in various places at Plagne 2000 and Plagne Centre. The La Plagne side is now looking as worn lower down as Les Arcs and the best place to go there is now the Bellecote Glacier area.

The piste back down to Arc 1800 is also closed so you must go down on the Transarc from the middle station. From this coming weekend only the Arc 2000 bowl will remain open with just the Transarc from Arc 1800 running plus the free shuttle buses from 1800, Arc 1600 and the funicular from Bourg St Maurice.

Please check my facebook group daily for further updates. Link below.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The sun shone and there was little wind for most of the day. Today we were in Les Arcs and covered all the areas that are still open. Even though you cannot get down to Arc 1800, 1600, Pre St Esprit or Peisey Vallandry anymore unless you take a bus, there is still plenty of snow in the Arc 2000 bowl and even down to the mid- station of the Transarc.

For anyone coming out this weekend, if you follow the sun and plan where you go, the snow gives you typical spring conditions throughout the day. The morning starts hard, firm, icy and boiler plate in most places, but the re-frozen snow quickly softens on lower pistes and even some off piste areas are now very pleasant. However take care as heavy slush takes over lower down later in the day.

Higher up if you give the sun time to do it's work you will find spring snow 'on and off piste' in the Grand Col and Aiguille Rouge areas as late as 4.30pm. The lift queues in some places are busy, but I have known worse during Easter week. The Boarder Cross and Big Air Bag in Arc 2000 are open and fun.

For anyone coming out this weekend you should still find places worth going as long as you do not expect to have access to the whole domain. The link to La Plagne will be closed shortly, but until then you must now use free buses to reach Peisey from the rest of Les Arcs. Have a good week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good mention about the boarder cross snowcrazy, I was really quite surprised at how good a shape it was in considering the number of people that are going through there following the same line. Although I guess most people schuss most of the way I suppose it causes less damage.

A quick question, which is kind of bought on by the thread about unpisted red runs/areas thread. Are all the black runs permanently unpisted in Les Arcs? They all seemed to be quite hefty mogul fields from where I could see. I have little experience of moguls, I made a meal of the ones I tried! The OH isn't keen on moguls either as she's messed her knees on them before. I understand that our only trip to LA last week was probably not representative of a usual trip there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite, almost all the Black pistes in Les Arcs are 'piste natures' which means they are unpisted. Right now all those that are open will not be pisted so expect very large moguls everywhere. If you are still around tomorrow evening pop into George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 for a beer and to say high. Hope the holiday is going well.
snow report
snowcrazy, Going by the last page, it's unlikely hammerite will make it to Georges tomorrow.... Very Happy
ski holidays
hammerite, snowcrazy, It struck me when I was there that this was the one significant negative point about the area - there are no black pistes (as in bashed runs)

Steep, groomed blacks are my favourite type of run - and as you say - there ain't none.
snow report
red 27, Rouelles, Refuge, Fond Blanc, Comborciere, Ecureuills, Muguet and Aiguille Rouge are all pisted from time to time.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I see, thanks. I guess snow conditions were not conducive to bashing when I was there - I'll look forward to sampling them next season.
snow report
Coming out to Les Arcs tonight, well over night train. More to see my friends than ski I guess at the moment, bringing swimming stuff, shorts AND ski's feels very strange!!
ski holidays
I shall try to add some photos of what we have been doing in the last few weeks shortly in my facebook group page (link below), so pop back from time to time and take a look if you are interested.

Hope you all had the chance to eat plenty of Easter Eggs today. They were even giving some out for free in the stations. After all, they need to do something to keep everyone happy.

The winter is finally coming to an end. Although a little snow/rain has fallen this evening, it is warm and spring has really arrived. Yesterday I had an easy day around the Arc 2000 bowl. Managed a few runs off piste from the top of Aiguille Rouge down the couloirs and Petit North Face. Even the top half of the Grand Col and the middle ridge of the bowl gave some good spring snow in places. However you cannot get down to Arc 1950 anymore without walking the last few metres. You have to walk to reach the Arc 2000 station and you must cut off early from the Robert Blanc area to avoid walking at the end of the Flying Km piste.

I hope all those that drove home yesterday had a good journey. See you all again next season.

Today I decided it was time to get the skins out and go high. Quite a change in the conditions, but still places to find good spring snow. Thought I would have a go at Mont Pourri, but when I got on the mountain above the Grand Col the weather conditions did not look that stable and I did not fancy being caught up there on my own in a storm so changed my mind and came back down. But it was fun looking down on the ski area below even if I did not get that far. I shall give it a go in a few days after the weather settles again.

Instead I went marmot searching. To get up close and take photos (at least with my camera) you have to go off piste. After a faulty start I had success. Found some on the ridge down the middle of the Arc 2000 bowl, in the Grand Col area and even on Aiguille Rouge. Managed to repeat some of the routes I made yesterday, there is still good spring snow about if you make an effort.

The bad news is that as well as having to walk into Arc 1950 and 2000. You must also walk when going down to the Marmotte Chair and approaching the Bulle cafe. However you can still get back to the mid-station of the Transarc without walking which was good.

Altogether, the conditions are deteriorating very quickly and with the rain tonight (maybe snow higher up), I hope they can keep the lifts and pistes open till the end of the week.

Going over to La Plagne tomorrow maybe. Another update soon.
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:

Instead I went marmot searching. To get up close and take photos (at least with my camera) you have to go off piste. After a faulty start I had success. Found some on the ridge down the middle of the Arc 2000 bowl, in the Grand Col area and even on Aiguille Rouge.

Ohhh, please can you post some photos? Marmots are so cute.
ski holidays
Thanks for the reply guys. Sorry snowcrazy, I left the area last week so unable to meet in George's. We liked the area though, and want to try out all the runs down to all the villages on both sides, so are sure to return at some point.
snow report
Piccadilly wrote:
snowcrazy wrote:

Instead I went marmot searching. To get up close and take photos (at least with my camera) you have to go off piste. After a faulty start I had success. Found some on the ridge down the middle of the Arc 2000 bowl, in the Grand Col area and even on Aiguille Rouge.

Ohhh, please can you post some photos? Marmots are so cute.

Apparently they taste good too......
snow conditions
allanm,
latest report
Hi again folks. For all those that have just left, sorry to say we had fresh powder today, about 5cm on the Bellecote in La Plagne. Managed to spend most of the morning doing short couloirs. Became warm and had to stop by 2pm for a picnic lunch. Only a few days left, but it looks like it will be a better finish than we had expected.

The routes today started with the Hidden Valley run in untracked spring snow with a little walk to the lift. By the time we got back to the top of Roche de Mio the Bellecote Gondola had opened. Managed two different routes down the Cemagref Couloir followed by the couloir near the Gondola. Then onto the Telegraph Couloir and Table Couloir. Finishing with the Roc couloir. All were untracked and except for the last one, were in great condition. Not a bad day for the end of season!!

Hope to do more tomorrow depending on the weather.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
All were untracked and except for the last one, were in great condition. Not a bad day for the end of season!!

Congratulations on finding such good snow at such a late date in this (IMHO) awful season. I made the decision that an OK day in he office is probably a lot better than a day in Les Arc... in April 2011.. Very Happy
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Good to see that you are making the best use of La Plagne this season Laughing Is there nothing left in Les Arcs now?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tomorrow morning will be my last live feed from the mountains for this season. Hope you have enjoyed them and found the info helpful.

Today on the mountain, well only a short one really. Was not as good as yesterday, the temps were not kind to the snow overnight and that ment the hoped for spring snow conditions were nothing nearly as good as yesterday. The snow was rather frozen and then rapidly went soft and slushy. Still better than nothing, but there are many bare patches about and unless you go high, it really is the end of the season.

Hoped to go on Mont Pourri again today, but with another storm forecast thought better of it. Clouded over by early afternoon, much more than forecast and we are just starting to get a few rain drops. Hope this will bring more snow tonight.

Having a couple of days off now, but hope to make one more visit to the mountains at the weekend for one last blast in fresh snow (I hope!!).
snow report
snowcrazy, Thanks for all your reports & info - its been great Very Happy

Hope to see you again next season - hoping to be out for Christmas Toofy Grin Enjoy the rest of the year
snow report
Well folks, that's it. The lifts close Saturday 30 April so just a few days left to enjoy the mountains without hiking up.

It has been great meeting many of you for a beer and/or a Ski/snowboard. Hope to meet many of you again next season. If anyone else reading these posts that I did not meet this season wishes to get in touch for next season, just post here or send me a private message. You are always welcome!

Take a look at the photos that have been posted for of this season covering the period 'November 2010 to April 2011' on my facebook group page (link below). See what the conditions have really been like. Not as bad as all that. I have still managed to have a fun time. I skied or snowboarded about 120 days this winter, most of them off piste so cannot complain to much.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134900026541300&v=photos&ref=ts

If I go up at the weekend I will post again. If not, I hope you all have a good summer and will be back posting again about November time unless something worth sharing comes up in the meantime. Bye for now!! snowHead
snow report
thanks everybody for especially snow crazy for your reports, i went in march and thought les arcs was ok but a bit outdated, to many slow chairs and not enough effort in to the snow making, the weather didnt help, we saw mount blanc once during the week, most of the week the visiblity was very poor and spoiled my week. but we did manage to ski everyday and have some fun, i"m sure les arcs is a lovely place when the snows deep and the sun shines, but alas, i"ll never know.
snow report
Bizarre, if only this mornings web cam images had been there in March. 1st June and snow fall as far as Villarogier Sad Sad Shocked
ski holidays
30cm being reported faceboook les arcs page!

More fresh than had all season Very Happy
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
More fresh than had all season Very Happy

Sadly true for the whole of January and February Shocked
snow report
Got the shock of my life when I fired up the computer and the Wallpaper came up - High Street in Arc 1950.
More snow than we saw in February.
Sadly my first thought was that they'd replaced April 1st with June 1st as the new All Fool's Day! but a trawl around brings the news that it's real!!
Summer Skiing in Les Arcs this year?!!!
ski holidays
Just had a photo sent from Plan Peisey - a foot of snow overnight - looks lovely Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi folks, just one summer update right now.

The work on the new chairlift from Arc 1600 going to the top of the Deux Tetes has begun. Arc 1600 around Cachette chair is a bit of a mess, but the lift is still running without any problems for walkers or bikers. There is also a very large earth pile building above Arc 1800 where they are dumping what they have dug out for the new Edenarc construction. Makes Arc 1800 area very dusty.

Further details and pics can be seen on my facebook group page for those that are interested, link below.

All the normal sporting activities in Les Arcs are taking place again this summer together with various music and cultural festivals, both on the mountains and down in Bourg. If you love music, want to try something different and have some fun or just chill by the pool or play some golf. Visit Les Arcs in the summer. Even the weather is normally very good.

That's about it for now. If anything else interesting comes up I will post again.

Have a good summer whatever you may be doing. Very Happy
latest report
Here is the Les Arcs update copied from my Les Arcs group page. You can see the pictures by going to the link below.

Today I received an email telling me there is a light sprinkling of snow at the top of the Transarc and more higher up. Looking at the web cams you can see a little summer snow quite clearly.

They are also building a new bike track from the top of Transarc down the left side of the ridge to the lake above Arc 2000. Shou...ld be a fun ride. Anyone out please do post a pic of the new track if it is open yet. They are also rebuilding the easier section of the Bike Park in Arc 1600. Not sure when that will be open. North Shore is open now.

The Chair lift in Arc 1600 up to the Deux Tetes is progressing slowly, but they hope it will be finished for the start of the winter season.

Not been sent much other news worth sharing right now. Will post again if anything else comes to my notice.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, we'll be out for the last week in August (are you around? )- hopefully someone will have posted a piccy before then! If not, we are definitely up for getting you one, and doing the routes - as far as I can tell from the les arcs website, French only atm, that one from Transarc appears to be a beginner track, or at least "Introduction to VTT".

SmallW is doing a day&half VTT course with Spirit 1950 - but we're bringing our own bikes over so she doesn't get confused with the left/right front/back brake change the French and the Brits seem to so enjoy confusing each other with.

Standards: we love 'em, that's why we have so many...

JW
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy