Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, Yes there is, but last time I checked the discount on season passes was a higher worth.
However, I guess it depends on how many CdA resorts one ski's at over a season.

Details here http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/en/offres_club.asp
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, thanks for that - we wait with bated breath on the announcements then!

Rob - can't quite see how it would open up the " piste" of Malgovert, unless it terminated at or near the top of Combouciere. Belvedere, while a slow old track, isn't exactly flat from Deux Tetes round the corner!

But if Snowcrazy thinks the new piste will cut across it, then maybe you'll be able to drop off the side into the Malgovert Forest, and ski down to the UPCA ? Make a change from skiing the RHS trees of Mont Blanc if nothing else.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimW, yeah, I can't visualise it either, but I don't know the geography of that area well enough to know if it's possible or not.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In addition to this I believe that a long proposed development of Villaroger has been sanctioned - 600 bed apartment complex, small supermarket, ski hire and of course new lift(s).

The last unspoilt outpost of Les Arcs is about to disappear - but it was inevitable I suppose.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very warm today.... these pockets of untracked are still there though....

Unusual view or Varet...

Just shows you don't have to go too far.... just a little hike... enough to keep most away though.

SnowCrazy You've been rumbled..... (pic below)... Good to see you today too...
I won't say 'stop posting rubbish about avalanches in Vallandry either...' Very Happy Very Happy

Edited to realign image to LH Margin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 29-03-11 18:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
allanm, nice pic of the powder and good to see you are doing some hiking.

Pity that chalet is not mine, maybe one day Toofy Grin , just another tour op and nothing to do with me.

Today we managed to get away from everyone again and no hiking. Just a little climb Toofy Grin Then long powder lines into the valley over the back and also another route down towards the Arc 2000 bowl. I was even on my board today for a change. Very Happy Blue sky and little wind. But the pistes are getting firm again and it is warm in the afternoons so many lower areas are melting and re-freezing overnight. What we need now is another snow fall to keep everything fresh, but it does not look like that will happen very soon. Time to start the snow dance again.

The route of the new blue piste from the top of the new Mont Blanc chair will cut the corner of the Malgovert nature piste towards the bottom if it is approved. The top half should still be ok. I hope!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never fear Snow is on the way. Sat night (snow level down to 1600m). Chamonix Meteo are calling it now which is always a good sign and it's also showing on the bbc who use ECMWF who i also trust. Once it comes up on there we are cooking on gas. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought I'd ask this question on here, rather than on resort reviews, as this thread is very active.....

I'm heading to Arcs 1800 in a couple of weeks. Should be light in the evenings so will take my running shoes and get a few runs in. Any recommended routes to try? I'll take my road shoes not my off road shoes, but can usually manage rough tracks so long as it's not icy/snowy. Ideally want to be running for 30-60 mins, so probably upto 5-6 miles max (as I'll be running slower than I do here in the UK). Are the roads between the different villages pretty safe to run on?

Now onto what is probably a really numpty question! I've been looking at a few YouTube clips of the water splash. Looks good fun, but, how do they stop the water from freezing? Is it heated slightly (in which case I'd expect to see steam coming off)? or are there salt/chemicals in there to lower the freezing point?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hammerite, God knows what was in the water splash, but it didn't seem "ice cold" when I went in... possibly my own adrenaline and fear kept me OK, but now you've got me wondering, what does keep it from freezing?!

I've a friend who gets the bus down and runs back in the mornings on the road between 1600 and 1950 - a 10k uphill shlep before breakfast, and people think I'm mad doing the water... - and he thinks it is fine and safe. He's done it at New Year , January and March, so it would appear little impact of temperature, light or road snow. Don't know much about 1800 - there were a number of walkers in hiking gear out a couple of weeks ago around the Peisey area, out past La Vache towards La Ferme and beyond, so if you can get down the fire-road from 1800, I'm guessing that's an option.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cool thanks JimW,

Glad that the water splash question wasn't quite so numptyish. The OH is a chemistry teacher and she wasn't really sure, apart from them heating it. It looks like there's a lining holding the water in could that be heated, like an electric blanket (water/electric mix? unlikely!).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arteta10 wrote:
Never fear Snow is on the way. Sat night (snow level down to 1600m).
'
Locals here in Vallandry, pretty well think 'the season is over', really hope they are wrong, but have been told too, that Easter bookings are well down. No facts though, just chat.

Went to Val Thorens today, infrastruture is quite different to LA...... I can see where compostcorner is coming from..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammerite, The water is kept moving as there is fresh water coming into the waterslide all the time and an overflow point which collects the excess into a pipe and when this is running it seems not to freeze. It may also be very slightly heated, but not sure about that. Will ask, an interesting question. Thanks for this one.

Running on the fire road between Arc 1800 and Vallandry is a good idea from Jimw, also down to the juction with Arc 1600 or round the back roads is also good. Rather you than me. Have fun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today we had an easy tour across to Champagny for a nice picnic lunch in the sun and back across Les Arcs for a drink at the Altiport and my first crossing of the waterslide (1 down and still dry).

The pistes are all firm and compact first thing in the morning, in some places it seems very icy (not blue ice). By mid morning with the very warm temperatures we are having, the surface of most pistes has softened and are quite pleasant to cross. On the return after lunch, the pistes lower down were very slushy and the snow was heavy and hard for some to turn on easily. The higher pistes are still holding up well, but the lower pistes into resorts are now very soft in the late afternoon and wet.

The conditions right now are more like the end of April, but they do say the weather will be changing again this weekend. There is still plenty of snow right now and you can still ski down to Villaroger, but it is better to ski down to the lower stations in the mornings. There are pistes open to all stations across the Paradiski area, but do not ski down closed runs or you might find little snow lower down.

Hope the snow does come this weekend/next week as they say it will.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy wrote:
Hope the snow does come this weekend/next week as they say it will.

Seconded!! Three days 'til I arrive Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy, Thanks, will check out the Google Earth and try to work out where the fire road is.

I suppose if the water and pipe is so far under ground it'll not freeze, apparently within only a few feet underground (and through the snow layer) there's a constant temperature of around 11C. Even gravity could be used so there's no need for a pump.
snow report
hammerite, snowcrazy, there always appears to be quite a lot of frsh water coming into the water slide, plus I guess the black base will help when the sun is out Puzzled
ski holidays
The fire road is the one my sat nav tries to take me on (via Vallandry) if I set a course to 1800.
snow report
Setting off for Les Arcs 1800 tomorrow with the lads ....... can't wait, don't care about the snow, i'm sure there's plenty to slide on! cold beer, sunshine, no work, good friends thats all you need .... Bon Ski !!!!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Spent a very hot day in Tignes / Val D, left Vallandry at about 9 this morning... tee shirt weather, same when returned at about 6.
Hot hot hot.... Really hope the new snow materialises at the weekend, and far more importantly, the temperature drops, but for me the end of the season is now Saturday.
snow report
allanm wrote:
Spent a very hot day in Tignes / Val D, left Vallandry at about 9 this morning... tee shirt weather, same when returned at about 6.
Hot hot hot.... Really hope the new snow materialises at the weekend, and far more importantly, the temperature drops, but for me the end of the season is now Saturday.

So, I arrive on Saturday for my week's holiday ... how's the snow? Wink
ski holidays
I had a phone call yesterday from the ski school we're using next week, and he's suggested meeting for the lessons next week at a restaurant called ?La Poudreuse? at the top of the Vallandry lift. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get there from Arc 1800, specifically from the Chalet St Bernard apartments, which are next to the Chantel ski lift, I believe. If you can offer a "take this lift, ski this run" kind of guide, that would be even more helpful and I'd be very grateful!! Smile
ski holidays
DaKid, Rob told me it was very easy and I'm sure he'll tell you the precise route if you PM or e-mail him. Or Megamum will tell you since she, unlike me, knows where she is at any given moment on a skiing day! Embarassed
snow report
DaKid, if you look at my facebook group page you will get the daily updates of the weather and snow conditions every morning at about 8.30am and a review at the end of the day. (Link below.)

It is very easy to get there for your lessons. Just go up the Vegere Chair near the Chantel Chair and then follow theblue run though the forest to the Derby lift. Go up the Derby Lift and then head across to the open beginner area above Peisey Vallandry. Look on the piste map and you will see it clearly. It will take about 30/40 min to get there depending on how good you are.

The conditions since yesterday have not changed much. The temps are very high right now so the snow all over the mountains first thing in the morning is like boiler plate 'on piste' or re-frozen crud 'off piste' if the sun has been at it the day before. If it is in sheltered areas then you will still find some very nice soft/firm snow to ride. After a few hours the snow starts to soften and becomes ok, but you still have to take care not to catch an edge.

By the afternoon it is very soft and wet lower down and quite good higher up. As the sun goes down later in the day it quickly starts to re-freeze in all areas 'on or off' piste so it can become quite difficult again. Overall there is still quite a lot of snow higher up in Les Arcs / La Plagne area and you can still get down to all lower stations, but only on the open runs which are being well maintained. The waterslide at the Altiport in this weather is great fun. I will give another update tomorrow. For those coming out next weekend, you will still have a good time.

I have also been skiing in 'Les 3 Vallees' and 'Espace Killy' areas in the last week and in my opinion the Paradiski conditions are equal to those of Tigne / Val d'Isere plus Val Thorens/Orelle and better than Meribel valley, Courchevel area, Les Menuires area and the other lower stations in the Tarentaise area. Take a look at the web cams of each area to make a comparison.

Anyone coming out to Les Arcs, if you fancy meeting up for a beer and a chat, maybe even to ski or snowboard a little, either send me a PM or stop by the Altiport around 4.45pm or at George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 from 5.30 - 6.30pm most day and ask at the bar for me. The staff are very friendly and will point me out if I am around. Have a good holiday.
snow conditions
Thanks guys. Have followed that on a map, and that makes sense. Should be easy enough!!

Out of curiosity, if one were to go out in the evening in the Les Arcs area, in another resort (e.g. 1950, from our base in 1800), then how easy would it be to get back home afterwards?
snow conditions
Surfacing lurker here.
Just at the end of two weeks at 1950. had a great time, varied weather and snow. Still haven't done the water splash (maybe next year).
I'd like to thank all who post here, especially snowcrazy. your reports have been really helpful in deciding where to look for the good snow.
Need to get better at the deep snow, and maybe go a bit further afield away from the pistes, we skied a lot between and around the marked slopes, but we know there's a lot more out there.
Had a day at Tignes, very impressed with the snow and the free parking (Zen pass), but still pleased our apartment is in LA.
Hard to believe we'll be back here with bikes and walking bootsin 3 months or so Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 25-03-11 20:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DaKid, there is a free bus service but it doesn't run all night, and getting from 1950 to 1800 is a little complicated as you have to change buses at Arc 1600 (there are 2 bus services, one between 1600 and 1800, one between 1600 and 1950/2000).

Looking at my bus timetable, your last bus home from Arc 1950 would be at 20.50, which allowing for the change of buses at Arc 1600 would get you back to Arc 1800 at 21.30. So it wouldn't be a late one, but its still possible. Unfortunately there's no taxi ranks in Les Arcs either, so any taxi would be very expensive at it would have to come up from Bourg.
snow conditions
crewlie, welcome to posting!
ski holidays
Just back from a few days in Les Coches with the excellent Mountain Sun crew - tired & tanned

Spring conditions, but nearly all pistes are open, only the blacks and 'natur' routes are shut. Ski til 2.00 and then a big long lunch is the best tactic

I was surprised by how much I liked the Les Arcs area - the skiing and the atmosphere. It's as if Les Arcs and La Plagne are examples of 'How To' and 'How Not To' design purpose built ski resorts. That said, 1950/2000 is by far the worst bit with 1800 my favourite then 1600 and Peisey Vallandry. Also a shame the brand new Vanoise Express is so dull and ugly - for what must have been a sensitive subject in the National Park, how the hell did 2 featureless concrete towers get planning?

Best lunch was in the Chalet Verdons Sud above Champagny
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skies Les Arcs today, after a few days elsewhere... Noticably many small avalanches, two have spilled on to Grand Reynard a little below top of Transarc - you have to ski round / over the debris.

Did the whole run down to Villaroger, lunch at Le Ferme... lower runs are... well.. open. Did (closed) Malgovert before and after lunch, earlier was ice and horrible, later was better but unfortunately lost visability. Deux Tetes was Ok , but again we chose when visibility was a bit iffy.

Bit of off piste on some relativly gentle inclines was interesting, snow collapsing and cracking under your feet, no danger where we were, but on reminded us that the snowpack was not in good shape.. in these places.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:

Best lunch was in the Chalet Verdons Sud above Champagny

Mmm, we've enjoyed a couple of good lunches over there on the terrace - on one memorable occasion, the water froze in our glasses as soon as it was poured Laughing
snow report
genepi, I saw they had Chateaux Margeaux 88 for 128€. I made do with the delicious plat du jour (beef bouerginion sp?) and a cameo demi pression for an excellent value 15. Superb friendly service too.

I sat inside - too chuffing hot on the terrace.

allanm, I tried that run down to villaroger too, ok at the top but then the traverse back to the lift on the road below Arc 2000 was an ice rink and quite unnerving.

Best run for me was Arolles above 1600

The best runs in La Plagne were Inversens from the R-de-Mio and the reds and black under the Funitel.
snow report
Quote:

I sat inside - too chuffing hot on the terrace.

Laughing sums up March in the French Alps!
snow report
Spent the day over in St Foy, one of there four main chair lifts closed in the afternoon. Makes me pleased to be in a bigger resort with more choice, but we did have an interesting off piste trip there today.

If you are staying in Les Arcs and fancy visiting somewhere else for a day, when it has better snow this Station makes a pleasant change, but right now Espace Killy or Val Thorens might be better options.

I will post the photos of todays trip shortly. Enjoy! Back in Les Arcs tomorrow for another update.
ski holidays
Hello all. Slight panic among the Mutineers (10 of us arriving 9th april) as we read that you have end April conditions already. AArgh.. So will there be anything left? And if it all shuts early, what happens with lift passes bought in advance. Puzzled
snow report
In Arc 1800 at the moment, very tired after just an hour or so's skiing for the first time in many years. It's snowing lightly and temperature is around 3 degrees. Pistes around 1800 are open, but connecting areas are almost gone. Have to walk 10-15 minutes to/from apartment, when two weeks ago it was skiable. Nice to be skiing though Smile
latest report
Had an easy cruise around Les Arcs and La Plagne today. Poor vis most of the day with flat light. By the time we stopped for lunch in Champagny the clouds had closed in and when we came outside light snow was falling. This continued all the way back to Les Arcs, just about snowing in Peisey Vallandry, but very wet. Higher up in the Arc 2000 bowl it turned to real snow flakes and was still snowing at 5.30pm when we arrived back at Arc 1600 just. It is still snowing lightly up on the mountain tonight. I hope the freezing level gets a bit lower and the snow stays tomorrow.

The pistes today were in a very mixed condition. From the top of Arc 1600 Cachette Chair down to the Arc 1800 station, the snow was 'boiler plate' early on and there were many 'icy' (real ice) patches on the piste on the final section down to the Vagere Chair where the snow had melted and turned to water the day before and then re-frozen. The pistes going over to the VE in Peisey were better with hard compacted snow which was ok to hold an edge. On the La Plagne side, the pistes were generally ok, but with some bare patches on the way into stations both in Belle Plagne, Plagne Bellecote and down towards the top of the Champangy Gondola.

On the return journey the Roche de Mio had good snow but it became very soft going down into Bellecote La Plagne and then toward Les Coches and the VE. Over in Peisey vallandry the pistes had become very wet and even at the top of the transarc it was still quite soft even though the snow was falling. All the way down into Arc 1600 the snow continued to be wet and ok to ski if you have the energy to push the slush around. You can still get down to most stations across the Paradiski area, but all the lower areas are in serious need of snow now. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
snow report
red 27 wrote:

allanm, I tried that run down to villaroger too, ok at the top but then the traverse back to the lift on the road below Arc 2000 was an ice rink and quite unnerving.

The best runs in La Plagne were Inversens from the R-de-Mio and the reds and black under the Funitel.

Yes.... Villaroger.. I was practicing for the watersplash!!

Agree with La Plagne comments, we skied LP Friday.

Back home now, uneventfull drive back today, could return 8th April for a week, but not looking too good at the moment.
snow conditions
Came back from Les Arcs on Saturday, most slopes got slushy toward the end of the day when the sun had battered them all day, and there were A LOT of stones on most slopes but generally slopes higher up where ok for the most part.

All is not lost though - if you go out there and there isn't a lot of snow then go try the Rodeo Park, extreme sledging luge thingy! So much fun! I clocked 28mph going down it, however have several bruises from when I got a bit too carried away with the steering a few times and flipped myself over...

All resorts should have it!
snow report
What a changeable day we have had. Started off with very poor light so I went up a little late, but as I heard there was powder about took the board out again. Managed to get up into the areas off the top of the Arpette Chair and put fresh tracks down which was fun. Then over to the Arc 2000 bowl and although the light came and went was still able to find plenty of fresh snow, but as the day progressed the snow started to change.

There is now only a blue piste just about open down to Villaroger. Very soft and wet at the bottom. They are trying hard to keep it open, but??

The same down to Arc 1800 where the fresh snow has improved things a little, but as the day went on, the snow became very worn again. Likewise over in Arc 1600 down to the Funi. Did not go over to Peisey Vallandry, but my friend says it is similar there although they are keeping the main blue and red down to the VE well maintained. Down to Vallandry, the main snow canon red is ok, but Foret and other lower pistes are very thin or now closed.

The best place to head is the Arc 2000 bowl, but if the crowds come back next week it could be difficult. My advice to anyone coming out, get the full 'Paradiski Pass' if you are Intermediate standard or above so that you can enjoy the whole ski area (Les Arcs and La Plagne). That way you will be able to get to all the higher areas and still managed to find some good skiing. I hope we get more snow tonight/tomorrow as promised??
ski holidays
Any thoughts on what it'll be like in a couple of weeks time? Got a week off starting April 16th and although the lifts are open until April 25th it all sounds a bit ropey there at the moment with the possibility of very limited opening. (Main alternative is Val Thorens)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy