Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz Building Issue?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, this could be nothing and i may be looking at this the wrong way. Just looked at the Avoriaz webcam for the first time in months. At the rear of the resort there are 4 massive cranes which look like they are building new accomodation. The only thing is they look nowhere near completion, only just started infact. Running through the cranes and construction area is the only lift to the top of the resort which in winter is a massive bottleneck as it is. If this building work is not finished, and judging by the webcam, there isnt a cat in hells chance it will be, will this lift still run or would you have to go round, which is a massive detour and could easily add 1 hour onto getting to the top of the resort and the snow park? Can any people out there or who have info please share, cheers.

Web camera is in top left on page

http://www.avoriaz.com/ski-holidays/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-09-10 23:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoidiaz
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not keen on there hey? Ive been 4 times and love it, if what i have highlighted it true, this will be one place to avoid this season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, we saw the cranes when we were here in June/July, here again now for a few weeks so will no doubt go and have another look. I am sure that they will have sorted out lift access - well hopefully! Good webcam by the way.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crumbs ,what an ugly resort with all those high-rises !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Brookes, it ain't pretty is it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sure they are not demolition cranes! super webcam !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, given that that lift was only replaced a few years ago by a v. high capacity one at great expense, I'd be amazed if they were going to allow it to be non-functional for a winter.

I also doubt your hours detour would in any case be more than 30 minutes. Up the Stade chair (rarely busy, relatively short, down to the little one beside the cable car, across the plateau and up the bunny drag. Simples.

Chris Brookes, Hells Bells, in winter, civered in snow I think it's quite attractive in a French avant-garde sort of way and viewed from Morzine I think it does what the architects intended and blends in quite well with the rocky terrain.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do quite like Avoriaz aswell. It grows on you. In the summer looking from Morzine up towards Avoriaz it does blend nicely into the cliffs, that was part of the original design idea. Bloody good ski area most importantly! And yes from there you could even use the half pipe button, slow 3 man and then the bunny/park button to reach the peak. Although to not have that lift operating would not work at all, it gets the biggest queues in Avoriaz at the end of a day they would never let it not operate. They are also planning a waterpark as another future development, maybe next summer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The lift is further back and closer to the ridge so I dont think the lift will be affected
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, it doesn't look too wonderful in Summer though I agree about it blending in. Flaine is damn ugly, but almost invisible from the pistes as it disappears into the surrounding rocks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, Avoriaz is not bad compared to many purpose built resorts. Also there are no cars in the town in winter, just the odd piste machine, ski-doo and horse drawn sleds. So it does look like a nice place to stay and is pretty calm considering how many people are there at peak times.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, well it was designed as a ski resort.

Flaine is way nastier than Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, No need to worry. The building area is nowhere near the "bottleneck". As you are coming down the "bottleneck", the building area is over to the left, behind the nursery school. As you are standing in front of the "Yeti" it would be about 150mtr to your left. The other building is where the old garage was as you are entering the town on the right. The waterpark is going to be built where the swimming pool in summer and ice rink in winter is presently situated.

I too dont much like the architecture, but as I said in an earlier thread unless you cant ski very well you dont see it all day! You will most likely be, one, possibly two, three, four, or five valleys away and most probably in another country! Fantastic ski area. The added bonus of our front door is about 3-4 mtrs from piste! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think i will stick to Murren for resort charm ... Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 3-09-10 13:22; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Hells Bells, well it was designed as a ski resort.

Flaine is way nastier than Avoriaz.

The skiing is much better at Flaine though - IMHO of course Very Happy
ski holidays
CP, hmm, an interesting view. I suspect it depends on how well you know the various areas. I have far less GM experience than PDS and so my take is that on any given day I would be much more likely to know where to go to find interesting stuff to do in the PDS than I would in the GM.

My perception is also that the (edit to include: French side of the) PDS is much better organised for uplift.
latest report
Chris Brookes, And the added benefit of skiing in Wengen is the convenience surely!! wink
ski holidays
Roy Hockley wrote:
Chris Brookes, And the added benefit of skiing in Wengen is the convenience surely!! wink

when they have snow Puzzled
snow conditions
under a new name, yes pds has better uplift than GM, but GM is improving in places
ski holidays
New Residences Apparently. And Aquariaz ?!

DrE snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy