Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere to La Thuile by hook or by crook

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, back again after a summer of scuba diving and fishing, and now looking forwards to skiing Very Happy

Have already booked a chalet in La Rosiere. Obviously we can ski into Italy ( La Thuile )

My question is, my wife does not ski along with another member of our 12 strong group.

If we remaining 10 ski into La Thuile (Italy) is there a way by bus or lift that non skiers could get there to join us for lunch.

If so how long does it take and how much would it be.

All the resorts we have done to date my good lady and friend have managed to get a bus or lift to othr resorts to join us for lunch, so it would be nice if they could make it into Italy. Blush
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timbobaggins, it's not possible to get from La Rosière to La Thuile by road except in summer. The road miraculously becomes part of a ski run in winter. The lift links between the two resorts involve chair lifts and two very long pomas, not possible without skis or snowboard.

I would think the only other resorts to get to from La Ros by road would be within the Tarentaise valley on the French side. To drive from La Ros to La Thuile in winter would probably take a couple of hours up to Chamonix, through the tunnel and down through Courmayeur.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-09-10 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timbobaggins, it's not possible to do that in any sensible way, unless you consider chartering a helicopter to be a sensible option.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timbobaggins, not possible. As QB said, there is no way to do it. It would be a very long way by road. I have a feeling that we were warned not to miss the last ski lift back, and if we did to find a room in Italy for the night. I think 3-4 hours was mentioned as the time it would take?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia wrote:
I would think the only other resorts to get to from La Ros by road would be within the Tarentaise valley on the French side. To drive from La Ros to La Thuile in winter would probably take over an hour up to Chamonix, through the tunnel and down through Courmayeur.

That's a good idea - get a lift / skibus down to bourg, take the funicular to arc 1600, play around les arcs all morning then go to the top of the Ag rouge and blat down to Villaroger for lunch - some 2000m descent. They could get a taxi across and meet you in La Ferme - like the Hamster did a few years ago -
http://youtube.com/v/fwnto05elCE&feature=fvw
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, I hope the non-skiers are not nervous passengers. Our La Ros taxi-driver was a complete maniac.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timbobaggins, there is at least one restaurant on the La Ros side which is served by a pedestrian friendly chairlift, with a marked walk back down again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia wrote:
Timbobaggins, To drive from La Ros to La Thuile in winter would probably take a couple of hours up to Chamonix, through the tunnel and down through Courmayeur.

That's exactly right. It'll be a longer journey than your airport transfer was.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers all, looks like i will be going all Italian without my wife!!!

Mind you it might be the incentive i need to get her back on ski's

Mind you i think there is more chance of me competing in the mens downhill at Wengen than that Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sainte Foy is also quite near la rosiere. Maybe you could do a day trip there?

Is there any chance you could persuade your wife to start skiing again? La rosiere has a few easy blues and is a good resort for a less confident skiier. Evolution 2 ski school are supposed to be good. my son skiied in la rosiere in his second week of skiing and there were plenty of runs he could do. The link to la thuile involves a couple of red runs so your wife would probably not want to do that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timbobaggins, taking her to La Thuile from La Rosiere and back is not a good way to get your wife back on skis. The drag lift is terrible, and very very long.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The journey to and from La Thuile/La Ros is not for a "just back on skis" skier, in my view. It can be bitterly cold and windy and intimidating up there, and involves a notoriously lengthy and unpleasant drag and a connecting red run which would be marked black were it not for it being an essential link.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It can be bitterly cold and windy and intimidating up there
Agreed
Quote:

and involves a notoriously lengthy and unpleasant drag
The drag is quite long but very gentle
Quote:

and a connecting red run which would be marked black were it not for it being an essential link.
absolute tosh, a lovely medium red that is much easier than the red drop ins on the 2 runs from the FOrt chair down.

As others have said, this meeting just cannot happen without great expense and time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, there was a red that was utterly grim when I did it. It probably depends on the conditions a fair bit but my recollection is "narrow, very bumpy, quite icy". Don't say it's "tosh" it's just how I remember it. We might not even be describing the same one!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and the drag might be gentle if you're a consultant in pie consumption but it lifted my waif-like niece clean off her feet for quite a long distance. Fortunately she was quite a gymnast, and a plucky little thing, and hung on - or we'd all have been back to the beginning.
ski holidays
Not that I am disagreeing with anyone, but the petite 6 year old girl and 10 year old autistic boy (he struggles to concentrate for the duration of this drag) I regularly ski with have never experienced any problem on the drag in question.....

But your non-skiing missus still ain't gonna be joining you for lunch..........
latest report
paulio, FTS is quite right, the sole connecting red piste is a lovely run, although there are a couple of turns where potective netting barriers are deployed and I have known nervous skiers to become distracted but it's the only north facing piste in La Rosiere and the snow is always in excellent condition. I've never known it to be icy but it does get a fair amount of use and small moguls can develop although it's always bashed every evening. So it can depend when you ski it but the bumps can easily be avoided by skiing closer to the edge, this also has the advantage of staying clear of nervous skiers.
ski holidays
My group found it intimidating and difficult.
snow conditions
The Voice of Reason, it was a few years ago that happened - and they've probably modified the drag. A lot of the fiercer drags have been tamed so as not to present too much challenge to the 21st century skiers. wink
snow conditions
paulio, your group's skiing ability is probably a factor.
latest report
Your vested interest in the resort is probably also a factor.

The OP is talking about someone who is an ex skier, and currently a non skier. My group were bog standard average recreational skiers, and some of them found it a little tougher than they would have liked. So as a comparison point it's perfectly valid.

c.f. "simply be a fearless skier and hug the netting next to the sheer drop" which is the kind of thing only a dumbass would say.
snow conditions
paulio, having a chalet in the resort does enable me to ski there more frequently than the average skier, it also enables me to contradict opinions about the reosrt that are absolutely useless. I was responding to your post in response to FTS's comments who knows the resort very well and has sufficient experience to be able to judge the degree of difficulty of the piste. Your comments tell me you do not.
latest report
paulio, the difference is because I am a mint skier wink I have always found the snow good on there as it is north facing BUT we have always done it in the morning on the way to La Thuile. On reflection it could well be a different kettle o fish in the afternoon....as are many slopes. I love its sharp bends and its high speed run out.
snow report
I like the red run down from the Fort to the drag lifts and it is no steeper than red runs off the other side. What I do find scary is the 3 man chair back to the Fort with the drop off the right hand side!
snow conditions
I did it the other way round (based in La Thuile, visiting La Ros). We got that infinitely long drag lift nearly at last orders and skied it at close of play. And it was very bumpy (not proper moguls, just offputting clumped up heaps of mashed potato), fairly crowded, and a bit scary, irrespective of what the La Roisiere Marketing Board (above) might be saying.
ski holidays
We skiied the red piste in question in the mornings and the conditions were fairly good. However I remember it required concentration on my part due to

1. was quite crowded so not much room to turn
2. the narrow bit with orange barrier at the side at the top
3. having to go for it and ski straight down from about half way as from what I remember the drag is slightly uphill at the bottom.

I managed ok on good snow but would not have enjoyed it if it had had moguls on. Probably best to stay the la rosiere side if you want to ski both resorts as I think the route to la rosiere was easier than the route to la thuile and I prefer to do the harder skiing first thing and have an easy run back when I'm tired.
snow report
Fogliettaz wrote:
I like the red run down from the Fort to the drag lifts and it is no steeper than red runs off the other side. What I do find scary is the 3 man chair back to the Fort with the drop off the right hand side!

Agreed. Came back up there with responsibility for a tiny French boy who was 4 and small for his age. I can quite clearly remember thinking sod it, this is no time to be worrying about child protection issues (of a different sort) and held on firmly to his one-piece all the way up and tried to keep my voice (and French) even as we chatted inanely about snow. All he would have had to do was lean back..... Shocked
ski holidays
davidl wrote:
paulio, having a chalet in the resort does enable me to ski there more frequently than the average skier, it also enables me to contradict opinions about the reosrt that are absolutely useless. I was responding to your post in response to FTS's comments who knows the resort very well and has sufficient experience to be able to judge the degree of difficulty of the piste. Your comments tell me you do not.

What a load of patronising tosh. Good for you, having a chalet in La Rosiere ( Confused ) but you would serve your beloved resort well to shut up and leave the resort advertising to the experts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timbobaggins,

the ski to and from la Rosiere isn't hard at all. When I visited in 2008/09 my son who was just 7 and his little friends skied to and fro with no particular problems- apart from the slow and bitterly cold drag lift. It isn't a hard drag- it is just very very windy- which is a problem for small kids- but not adults. The pistes themselves are not hard.

However if th egroup you ski with is very much faster than Mrs Timbo then perhaps this would make for a problem. She could have some lessons- perhaps if she did it with an instructor/ a group at more of her own pace rather than with your mates she would be more confident.
snow report
Urm, thanks all for tips and pointers and i particularly loved the dust up in the middle of this thread. As Harry Hill would say "FIIIIIGHT"

Anyway Mrs Baggins ski'd twice in her life, both times at Les Menuires. I would say she reached the standard of bad begginer, never got past a snowplough. Also because she has dodgy feet, she suffers really badly in ski boots. We tried everything trust me, i could have had two weeks skiing for what we paid out for boots footbeds ect ect.

So there is zero chance of putting her on skiis, i have tried her snowboarding, but she didn't like that either.

So it looks like she will be stuck in La Ros whilst we go all Italian!!!!

Its a shame coz she has never been to Italy.

Can you do La Thuile and back in a morning. Say leave resort at La Ros at 0900, blast over to La Thuile, do a few runs, have a beer and blast back to La Ros for lunch.
We have a strong ski group who laugh in the face of reds Twisted Evil
snow report
Yes you can do la rosiere to la thuile and back in a morning. We left our children at ski school at 9:30 and managed to get back at 12:30ish no problems. We didn't get right down to the la thuile village but to the top of the first lift. You could spend one morning doing the san bernando area and another doing the runs above la thuile. When we went (new yr 2009) the snow was deeper on the Italian side. However try to pick a day with clear skies to go over there as the first time we went over we couldn't see much at all and ended up coming straight back to la rosiere. There is also a nice long red (with black running nearby) below the main part of la rosiere. It goes down to a nice cafe (lovely smell of woodsmoke). We had a waffle and hot choc there.

Are you staying in the main village or les eucharts?

Did you buy mrs b her own ski boots and still have probs? I never got on with hire ones but have had my own boots for 10 yrs or more and not had problems since.
snow report
Mrs B got bought the lot, i think most of it was a confidence thing, everytime she got near to someone or edge of piste she would throw herself over Puzzled Puzzled

We are staying at La Balcons in Ros, i think its ski in and out, Sister-in-Law booked it so not sure, I just go with the flow Cool
snow conditions
I think les balcons is in les Eucharts which is the new area of la rosiere. The main part of the resort is a short walk through woodland. Les Eucharts has a supermarket, restaurant or two, bowling (I think) and a nice creperie. We preferred it to the main resort as les eucharts was fairly quiet and hardly any traffic. We stayed at cimes blanches appts just up the hill from les balcons. Cimes blanches has a nice pool/spa area..maybe mrs b could have a treatment there or two if they have any non resident options.
latest report
Timbobaggins, 9am from the Front de Neige
7 mins for La Roches Noir lift
5 mins down to the Fort chair
8 minutes up the chair
4 mins down to the Clarines 1 drag
9 minutes on the drag
1 minute ski off left and accross the border

35 minutes should get you into the Col area. If the wind is mild there is lots to play on in this area. If not head for La Thuile and the nice reds and tough black of the woods.

On the way back, from the top of Belvedere, allow the same time back to the Front de Neige, add another 35 if from La Thuile town.

This is based on a small group with toe down Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Timbobaggins, Balcons looks mint, but is in Les Eucherts. Add on 10 minutes to get to Italy but deduct 3 minutes to get back. You will have to catch the roc noir drag up to the roc noir summit. This is a better option than the slow Landeliers lift which then involves a pole along the top.
snow conditions
And hope it isn't windy, I was almost blown off the Roc Noir drag.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, ooh I shall have to make sure I try it at christmas Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, it became particularly scary when the lift stopped for 5 minutes because someone else had obviously fallen off . No shelter at either side, and I couldn't see a yard in front of me. It got rid of the hangover from the previous nights vodka drinking session with the ski instructors though.
I thought you weren't going back to La Ros again wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,

Blimey do you time all your runs that precise, cheers for info though Very Happy
snow report
Timbobaggins, oh yes wink

Hells Bells, I though we had out grown it BUT the accomodation, the price, the folks we are travelling with and a few other factors drew us back. Am actually quite excited now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy