Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iran

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heading out late Nov/early Dec for 6 weeks split between Dizin and Shemshak, with a few orientation days in Tehran.

Basically impossible to orgainse poo-poo in advance it would seem; we're happy just rocking up and getting organic, so any info at all much appreciated - anyone heading that way at that time, let's get a coffee!

Swe-eet, and cheers in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oz5000, First question is have you got your visa yet. I have not skied there but have had two 10 day business trips and the last visa application was more restrictive. It means going to the consulate over two days as they take your finger prints.

I was meant to get one day skiing on my first trip in the resort in northern Tehran but messed up my schedule. Watch the driving, the worst I have experienced and dont be afraid to tell them to slow down.

The people are great but the border guards are a nightmare. When coming back home get to IKA airport at least 3 hours before your flight as they only ever have one non Iranian line open.

Have a great trip and let us know how you get on.

edited to say as we were on a business trip we had to get an invite from our hosts and a pre approved refference number before the embassy would deal with us, not sure if it is the same with a tourist visa.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Separate lift lines for men & woman . enjoy the skiing ..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dom Jolly was on breakfast tv yesterday chatting about a similar trip but the ski pic looked tempting. I think it was a travel book he was promoting so my be worth grabbing a copy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should be plenty of snow there in Nov/Dec as the season can last into June due to high altitude.

Dizin is the only one among the three I haven't skied but my host took me there once. It is the biggest.

Shemshak can be very busy if you hit it at the wrong time. Think we only managed 5 to 6 runs and spent a lion's share time in queuing.

Tochal is another one at the fringe of Tehran and also the highest.

I have reported Shamshek and Tochal here.

The facilities have not been updated since the Shah days so don not expect much. The ski pass was equivalent to US$5 a day and has to be the cheapest around.

Can't remember being separated from the females. The boys and girls are freely skiing and snowboarding together in colourful jackets same as elsewhere in the world. My host did indicated the authority didn't like it. It was obvious to me there wasn't "enough" female skiing instructors around and so the girls had to be taught by boys. Holding hands with an opposite sex there suddenly made sense for the safety reason. It was an eye opener to see different sex Iranians enjoying a sport together in a way not seen in the Muslin society..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the info guys.

Visa process under way - they're not about just letting anyone in it seems! Even for tourist visa you need to be officially 'invited' (i.e. contact provideed by consulate to whom you pay a fee for an application reference), before heading to the Embassy for finger-printing etc.

Still, a friend of my father's who lived and worked in Iran before the revolution has skied all over the World and said that he experienced the lightest, driest powder of his life in Iran, so it should all be worth it! And 5 buck lift pass can't be sniffed at either.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oz5000
DO post a full trip report as soon as you can!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oz5000, Are you a spy for Mi6? Obviously if you say no, then you are but just wont say!! I've seen spooks! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
never mind the visa get your head examined first Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
blockhead,

I have been in Iran for 4 to 5 times recently and found the Persians very friendly. People on the ground are normally nice people and able to work with anybody. They are no different to the Arabs in Saudi, Lebanon, Kuwait, Libya, UAE.....

The only time I had a problem with the Iranians was when I described a project in the "Arabian" Gulf and was stopped in no uncertain term to refer it in future the "Persian" Gulf.

The Iranians are much more open minded than we take them for granted. An Iranian friend once told me there is always an Iranian professor or an Iranian in the high position in every American university.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do apologise, the people are wonderful But it is the establishment that is questionable and when you go trekking in their backyard ,you better
have very good negotiating skills to convince them that that is all you are doing ,in their eyes all westeners are spyes
I do wish oz5000 apleasant and safe journey
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee wrote:
They are no different to the Arabs in Saudi, Lebanon, Kuwait, Libya, UAE......

Other than not being Arabs.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oz5000, would love to read a trip report.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,

Not much different to driving through to Flaine except the passage is narrower through the cut out rock, less trees, less lifts, more skiers (intensity wise) like longer queues say 1+ hour for repeating each run. There are concrete apartment blocks and you can ski perfectly in June due to the high altitude.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy