Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to "try and buy" helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy first helmet, and am drawing up a short list, but most seem to be on the web, anyone know any decent stockist where I can try a few out ,have tried the obvious high st options but not much stock around yet ,have bought many things off the web but can't see myself getting a helmet without trying a few out. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The problem re trying helmets is that most retailers only stock one/two makes so you have to go round loads of shops to try all the option, very few of which will be local. Buy in resort can be as bad, often with very limited choice.

Therefore you need somewhere were all the retailers/manufacturers are in one place = NEC or London Ski Show mid/end October.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, we took our sons round loads of shops in Serre Chevalier last winter, not one helmet that suited either taste or fit. Too many shiny ones apparently.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon,unfortunately I am in aus for most of oct/nov Madeye-Smiley, hence trying to get sorted before the snow comes snowHead see you Saturday
May have to order a few and send them back , maybe m&s will stock ski gear this winter NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neilski, I've got a Giro you can try for size when you're here. See you Sat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I seem to be in the same situation as you. Looking to get a new helmet and not got anywhere around with a comprehensive selection. I am undecided as to whether I want a Giro or a POC. I was thinking that I might order both off the internet and try them and see which is the best fit and then return the unwanted one. Anyone else been down this route?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eclectic, I ordered mine off the internet without trying one on in a shop. I measured my head with a tape measure anyway and knew what size motorbike helmet I took. The one I had my eye on and bought was adjustable anyway within a couple of centimetres. The only question for me was would it work with my goggles and since my goggles were the same make I didn't think there would be an issue and my head is not an unusual shape or anything. Tried it on when it arrived with goggles and it worked perfectly. Also works just fine with some goggles I've bought since of a different make. I might be lucky but having looked online at various helmets I spotted this one and liked it because of the adjustable vents and some other features so took a chance knowing I could send it back if need be. I think had I sent it back then I probably would have gone to a shop and tried some on, but like you say, there's not a lot of choice about unless you travel around a fair bit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a K2 one from Edge and Wax. I already knew which size I needed as hubby has a K2 .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
have now narrowed search down to a smith variant or vantage helmet , with the option to match up a new pair of goggles ( smith optics sensor lens), does anyone have anything to say about either of these helmets, i like the low profile and weight and the venting Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neilski, the variant is a good helmet. The way in which the adjustable strap attaches to the inside of the helmet could do with being more robust but otherwise it is comfy and practical. I have done about 230 days in mine and it has, on the whole, held up well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have just bought a Smith Variant (Brim) helmet after my previous Giro helmet was half-inched! Bought a medium size.
I have only used it once so far for 3 hours but found it really comfortable. It also fits my Oakley Crowbars really well (Took these with me when buying the helmet)
I would already say it is more comfortable than my Giro but only more time on snow in different conditions will really prove this.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Touchguru, their medium size says 55-59, how did it compare to the giro for size, as @ 58/59 cm i am a large in giro and salomon helmets, also where did you get yours ??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neilski, if I am honest I cannot 100% remember what Giro size I was, but I think I went for a large (don't quote me on this though!)
I bought my Smith Variant from Snow and Rock at the Hemel Snow Centre.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, we had the same issues with finding a helmet replacement last year in serre che, even took an early afternoon trip to Briancon and found nothing except the same wed'ze weird euro stuff..

I think helmet buying is a trial and error thing, knowing you head size and shape helps especially if you cylce as certain brands have certain traits.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The best way to measure you head is just above your ears round your head with a tape measure in cm - that gives you the roughly the size you need. Good idea to go to a ski shop which stocks more than 3 brands of helmet - usually Ellis Brigham or S & R or sone of the larger independant shops I got my helmet in Yorkshire in a North Leeds ski shop that stocked 5!! brands - has plenty of colours and choice and came away with the best fit and one I really feel happy wearing. Keep searching
snow report
I recall looking in the big snow store inside the Manchester xscape - don't recall if that is EB or S&R, but I do recall that they did have a really good assortment to try on. Despite this, none fitted me and I ended up buying a cheap adjustable one off the internet, which was more comfortable that all those I'd tried on, it adjusted to a good fit and was a fraction of the price - £16 IIRC. On the basis of that tale if you have an awkward head you may be looking for some time.

B.t.w. what is it with the current helmet fashion that looks like a cast off from the latest German war film? Those little half peaks really look odd IMV.
ski holidays
Head circumference v helmet size is only part of the equation, the equally important factor is head shape. I tried many of the right size but only the Giro at the time was the right shape, & it was only one of their many models.

Was hoping to try a particular POC helmet at this years NEC show but Ski Bartlett (the UK dealers) aren't going to be there.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:

B.t.w. what is it with the current helmet fashion that looks like a cast off from the latest German war film? Those little half peaks really look odd IMV.

Excellent the designers have clearly done their job well because if you'd loved them they might have questioned their demographic satisfying skills wink

See also tall tees, face bandanas
latest report
snow2go, spot on finally found a local shop that deals with at least four different brands and is prepared to order a few different sizes etc in for me to try , and if you order from their website you can return to their shop .( sail and ski chester)

Megamum, s&r at the chill factore only had four helmets in total to try and had no interest in helping me , which led me to the internet , but there is no way i am going to make my final decision on line without actually trying them on
snow conditions
Neilski, when I made my post above I was talking about my Smith Variant Brim, it's a great helmet and would definitely recommend. Fits me both with Smith goggles and some Oakley A-Frames with no problems.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Head circumference v helmet size is only part of the equation, the equally important factor is head shape. I tried many of the right size but only the Giro at the time was the right shape, & it was only one of their many models.

Was hoping to try a particular POC helmet at this years NEC show but Ski Bartlett (the UK dealers) aren't going to be there.

The UK distributor is big bear so there will be other shops with em!
snow conditions
finally got sorted with helmet , smith vantage ad, great fit and works well with new goggles, only thing needed to complete the new helmet set up is some headphones to fit into the ear pads , the ones recommended by smith are skullcandy single shot , which look great , but cant seem to locate them in the uk , anyone got some or know of an alternative , cheers Cool
snow report
Just use ONE of your normal earphones.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy