Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmets - another big statistic (plus a scalp cancer tip)

Poster: A snowHead
Ski Club of Great Britain on 31 August wrote:
A Californian study determined that nearly 8,000 injuries each season in the state would be reduced or prevented altogether by wearing a helmet. They also said helmets reduced the risk of skin cancer of the scalp in the sunshine state.

Source: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=7630

SnowboardClub.co.uk on 1 September wrote:
A Californian study determined that nearly 8,000 injuries each season in the state would be reduced or prevented altogether by wearing a helmet. They also said helmets reduced the risk of skin cancer of the scalp in the sunshine state.

Source: http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/news-9704.html

The source of this story, copy-pasted by the SCGB and SCUK, appears to be snow24.com - which is a news agency operated by long-serving ski journalist Patrick Thorne.

I'm emailing Patrick to find out more about this Californian study. One hopes that Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (who will take the final decision this month on mandatory wearing of helmets by under-18s) will only be influenced by peer-reviewed* scientific data on head injuries, and proper scientific research on the protective value of ski helmets.

* 'Peer-reviewed', for those unfamiliar with the expression, means that the research and data has been scrutinised by fellow scientists, before general publication.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David E Goldsmith wrote:
One hopes that Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (who will take the final decision this month on mandatory wearing of helmets by under-18s) will only be influenced by peer-reviewed* scientific data on head injuries, and proper scientific research on the protective value of ski helmets.

I doubt he cares very much as he does nearly all his skiing in Sun Valley,Idaho where he has a home & there is even a ski trail named after him Arnold's Run. There are no helmet laws in Idaho Very Happy Even for motor cycles if your over 18 Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So he may care about freedom
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi y'all, I picked up (ripped off) the 'nearly 8000 injuries study' figure (think actual figure was 7700 as I recall) from a lengthy online Californian news report about the bill going to Arnie (Terminator not Wilson) for his end of Sept decision (He'll be back). I'm now trying to re-find it among the 77 that seem to be online but no luck so far, typical. As I recall it was a sub-division of Californian state government, something like the 'Safety Commissioner' that came up with the stat and I thought they'd carefully worded it so that the 7700 figure might actually refer to ALL injuries in California, not just head injuries. I had real trouble writing that story without adding Arnie references as I find it fairly hilarious (and simultaneously fairly depressing) that The Terminator is making decisions on safety on the slopes. Has the world gone mad? Patrick 'SnowHunter' T
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, I added 7700 to the search and it came up with a load more hits, the one I got it from was:

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_15904952

"The Federal Consumer Products Safety Commission has found that an estimated 7,700 injuries on the slopes annually could be prevented or reduced in severity if snowboarders and skiers used helmets. The study also showed that for children 15 and younger, 53 percent of head injuries could be prevented or reduced in severity if a helmet is used."
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nothing new in this. This 1999 report seems to be an early source document.
Quote:
A CPSC special investigation study of skiing and snowboarding head injuries indicated
that 44 percent -- or an estimated 7,700 injuries -- could be addressed by helmet use.
The study also showed that for children under 15 years of age, 53 percent of head
injuries (approximately 2,600 of the total 4,950 head injuries) are addressable by use of
a helmet. In addition, based upon a review of skiing- and snowboarding-related death
certificates, 11 deaths per year solely attributed to head injuries might be addressed by
the use of helmets.

So, getting down to the nitty gritty, the assessment in 1999 was that 11 deaths/per year might be 'addressed' by helmet use. Looks a bit on the thin side as a case for legislation - though I am sure the proposers won't be asking their readers to bother to look for source material.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks, Patrick. The reason I emailed was that I'd tried to keyword-source, via Google, a reference to "8000" in relation to "helmets", "injuries", "California" etc.

By changing the figure to 7700, a 1999 report by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission does come up:

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/skihelm.pdf

The figure 7700 seems to refer to the study's estimated reduction in head injuries nationally, rather than California (executive summary p.3).

The report estimates that "11 deaths per year solely attributed to head injuries might be prevented by the use of helmets".

A decade+ later, and now that helmets are so widely used in the States, one question is whether a reduction in fatalities is being observed? Anyone know?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bit of cross-posting there!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austrian ski-lift operators have come out against proposals to make use of helmets by skiers mandatory. Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2009-01-08/10438/Ski-lift_operators_oppose_helmet_law
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, stanton. From that report:

Quote:
Thann added there would be 55,000 skiing injuries in Austria this season and 10 per cent of the victims would suffer serious head injuries.

Another big statistic. I wonder what the source is, and whether it constitutes peer-reviewed research?

It's worrying that so much effort is having to be expended to defend what is a skier's right - the freedom to choose.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Less than 1% of skiers worldwide regularly wore a helmet in 1950.

About 10 - 20% of skiers worldwide are regularly wearing a helmet in 2010.

About 80% of skiers will regularly wear a helmet by 2050.

Like motorcycling, wearing helmets while skiing is on an unstoppable upward trend.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well I think it might stop if/when it reaches 100%.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, I think it might just creep above 100% as there are some people who insist on wearing more than one helmet at the same time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting photo. Is he related to Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson?

Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson video:

http://youtube.com/v/HLjS3gzHetA

[NB - there's a surprise helmet appearance at the end of the video - wait for it]
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh no, not that 5,500 serious head injuries statistic again...

See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48225#1142655 - it's garbage.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Austrian ski-lift operators have come out against proposals to make use of helmets by skiers mandatory. Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2009-01-08/10438/Ski-lift_operators_oppose_helmet_law

Sounds like the lifties don't want to be the ones to enforce helmet wearing not that they believe helmet wearing is a bad thing.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Less than 1% of skiers worldwide regularly wore a helmet in 1950.

About 10 - 20% of skiers worldwide are regularly wearing a helmet in 2010.

About 80% of skiers will regularly wear a helmet by 2050.

Like motorcycling, wearing helmets while skiing is on an unstoppable upward trend.

Fabulous stuff. Wild, untamed, mental guff and piffle of stratospheric proportions.

Just a personal chair lift observation, but I haven't seen helmet usage change much over the last few years. If anything, I suspect it's not far short off peaking. It's not an issue like seat belts or air bags or CORGI registered plumbers, the perceived danger is simply far greater than the reality and people (who aren't stupid) manage their own risk accordingly.
latest report
peaked sales and the fact that most people inclined to wear a lid will be buying on a replacement only basis now, means the manufacturers will be wanting to push this kind of stuff as much as possible..
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, they'll also push the 3-year life thing. It all makes work for the working man to do - or sales for the retailers to do, in this case.
ski holidays
Jumping states ... from California to Colorado ... the Denver Post has just published this helpful editorial:

Colorado ski resorts should require helmets for kids

Quote:
No such laws are being proposed here, and many children already wear helmets. But we think the resorts would serve themselves well by taking this step before a state legislator pitches a helmet law.

Quote:
A rule specifically for children recognizes that they lack the perspective and life experience to accurately assess the dangers posed by riding without head protection. If resorts were to make helmets for kids a requirement, there would be no rationale for legislation, or for the state to get involved in resort business.

Whether it's the state imposing the law, or the resort imposing the law, it seems to add up to "You're an irresponsible parent, and we rule that you rule that your child wears a helmet".

I find it surprising that the country that endorses the individual's right to 'bear arms' (but every right not to) should have newspapers that wish such draconian helmet laws.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy