Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Coach

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Has anyone used the snow coach from Victoria station to France?
Any views advice?

Cheers
Lee
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Earplugs! I did it once for a quick break and whilst not very comfortable it was excellent value for money. As ever, be prepared to suffer a bit for your pleasure.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last year we went on skiweekends.com deal from Victoria to Meribel.

If you can, purchase extra leg room, and have some good sleeping tablets when you set off to knock you out.

Not entirely unpleasant and you have to balance it with the little we paid, but sleeping tablets are a must!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I went with my son three years ago - never again - for me anyway.

It didn't help that I was the oldest person on board by about 20 years (all the rest were students) the only thing that made it bearable was a bottle of rather nice red wine.

Major delays due to bad weather but at least the snow was good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't done a coach trip to and from the Alps voluntarily apart from once on a school trip many moons ago, but I did a one way to Tignes as part of the volcanic ash saga this April......

Definitely agree about the ear plugs! Blocks out the endless whispering/chatter when people choose to talk instead of sleep plus the driver's radio in the background, and snorers on the coach with you.
Sleeping tablets-yes I can see the merits of those!
It doesn't half get chilly on a coach too even with a coat on I found so I'd say perhaps a thin fleece blanket wouldn't be a bad idea.
Food and water as it's difficult to get to sleep if you're hungry.

If I was ever going to do it voluntarily again I'd take earplugs, a good neck pillow, a blanket I could fold away and put in my rucksack.

If prepared then it is a cheap way to get to the Alps yes and I have heard of people that do it everytime and prefer it to flying. Not many mind, but some do prefer it. Think it helps if you're not that far from Victoria because for me, I'd have to travel for 4 hours before I was even at the station.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did two Uni ski trips back in the day from Cambridge to the French Alps, both involved coach travel each way and sharing a grotty little self catering apartment (we lived on crisps, cup a soup and alcohol) with five others. Not something I'd ever consider now, but I had far lower standards and bog all cash in them days.

A means to an end is about the best thing I can say for it. In fairness the coach travel was not the worst aspect of the whole experience.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, well one thing I would say is that the coach we had to sort the volcanic ash situation this April just gone was a lot more luxurious than the coach we had to take us to Austria on the school trip in 1991, so they can be quite nice these days.

I swore never again after volcanic ash and was very pleased to be flying back instead of another coach trip but I guess I would consider it again if I couldn't get flights and transfers to work no matter what or something. Mind you I'd probably drive the whole damn way myself even though it would cost a lot more, only so I could be in control of the stops, how many, and for how long.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't do it - did ONE coach holiday to Austria summer 2000. Never again. Uncomfortable, you stop when someone else feels like it, not when you need to and when you do you're always in a crowd. The only highlight was the old dear in the seat behind us remarking on the Autobahn that there was a huge city nearby as we'd passed exit afer exit leading to it... it was called Ausfahrt rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a trip on the coach with Snowcoach http://www.snowcoach.co.uk/ last December and found it was fine but would consider take things like, an eyemask if you have problems with headlights etc, a light fleece blanket, earplugs if you are bothered by the noise or MP3 etc.
I had plenty of leg room but then I do have little legs Laughing
The coaches were ok with reclining seats and they supplied head supports and blankets with drinks and a loo as well.
I found that the coach I was on was, warm and quiet as everybody was intent on being on the slopes ASAP when we arrived so no excess chatting once the main lights were out.
I went with the intention of trying it once as the pick up is 20minutes from my house, it gave me 8 days skiing and having survived it have booked to do the trip again this Decemeber using the coach.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done it a few times with Eurolines (awful) and Snow Express (much better), but mainly because flights have been extortionately priced over Xmas and New Year or school holidays. I totally agree with the sleeping pill and a glass or two of red wine trick - definitely the way to go. And I always take a pillow and fleece blanket. I would do it again if flight/train prices are too high but maybe not as far as Val D'Isere again - Chamonix or Flaine would take about 3 or 4 hours off that journey.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many thanks for all the replies!

It is just one of the options we have been considering. Over the years I have done most of the alternatives and all have there pros and cons for me. I had been looking at snow express which appealed because I liked the idea of loading the coach and having no worries.

We are going to flaine so the logical choice would probably be by air. To be honest flying has been getting me down a bit recently added to the fact that it still seems to involve a whole day of travel depite the short flight and has restrictions on luggage we fancied trying something else.

Reading the replies I was going off the idea but the last couple of posts mean it is still an option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LDM, flying shouldn't take a whole day of travel! I think I managed door to door (i.e. hotel to my front door) in under six hours back from Courmayeur. Normally TO outbound flights set off quite early so you can be in resort by dinner time (or lunch time if you're posh!).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

set off quite early so you can be in resort by dinner time

... that sounds like a full day's travel to me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could not think of anything worse. I gladly pay a premium to fly to Chambrey instead of Geneva in order to shave 2 hours off a coach journey, the though of many hours on a coach would drive me to tears.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I liked the idea of loading the coach and having no worries.

that is quite a good feature of the coaches which take you right to the door. We did one with Ski Olympic to La Rosiere and were put down at the bottom of the garden path up to the chalet, with all the bags we'd not seen since plonking beside the coach in some motorway service station in the Midlands. We had a full day skiing on the last day, then the coach took us down to Moutiers or somewhere to grab some dinner and a few glasses of something, which is a good start to a night spent sleeping (at least part of) the way home.

Advice to take drinks and food is good. We also found the temperature very variable - sometimes very cold, sometimes very hot, so we needed layers. I spent half the time stripping my 8 year old off, or putting her layers back on again.

It was fine, and saved a fair bit of cash. We were on a tight budget so it was worth while. If money was no object you wouldn't go by coach (or across the Atlantic on a cheap ticket, come to that, which is a very similar journey) but unless you are particularly intolerant and pampered, it's no great hardship. We've done Snowcoach too. The kids moaned a bit at the prospect but I told them they could either come on the coach, or stay behind with grandma if if was all too horrendous for them, and save me a fortune in accommodation and ski passes. I don't believe in letting spoilt brats dictate my holiday choices. wink

On the other hand you wouldn't get me within 1000 miles of a coach holiday! You get off the damn thing at the first opportunity and don't see it again for a week.

The first coach trip we did was slow, in absolutely horrendous road conditions, with fog and bits of snow all the way down from Calais and deep snow long before we got to the resort. The drivers took forever to get the chains on but the kids thought it was great because they got to get off the bus and play in the snow for a bit. I was extremely grateful I wasn't driving - we passed several very nasty looking crashes, with ambulances and police cars in attendance. I've driven many times since, but never in such nasty weather.
snow conditions
6 Hours sounds fairly close to a days travel to me too which was my original point.

The cost is not the driving issue although obviously a saving on travel gives me more to spend elsewhere. Obviously the quickest way would probably be fly followed by a helicopter transfer which might be ok for some breaks but even that would be spoilt carrying luggage and kit.

I guess a lot would depend on who else was on the coach although to be fair I have had the odd bad experiance on a plane too albeit for a much shorter period.

I think the bit that appeals most is once on the coach it is someone elses problem I just have to sit back till we arrive.
latest report
Quote:

it is someone elses problem I just have to sit back till we arrive.

that's not far off the case if you fly and get a private transfer. I think that would be my method of choice for a week (we only drive because we go for longer). It's very nice being met, getting into a taxi or minibus and then being taken right to your door. Another way to make the whole experience less of a hassle is to avoid Saturday travel. Sundays are also busy, but not so bad and plenty of accommodation does Sun/Sun. Take a scheduled flight to a civilized airport which can cope with bad weather (or at least, can do so better than places like Chambery). I've never done it, but the Swiss combination of flight and train also sounds pretty good.

Or go by train - some people swear by it. I've done overnight in a sleeper, which was good, but no way would I do overnight sitting up in a seat for three times the price of a coach. But First Class on the day time eurostar sounds a nice way to travel. You could also combine that with a private transfer, and some of the stations are pretty near the resorts.
snow conditions
But six hours travel as opposed to the 18 hours travel it took to get from Cambridge to La Plagne by coach. And far more opportunities to stretch your legs and have a wander around.

Anyway how is six hours a full day? I make it a quarter of a day, not even equivalent to a day's work.

boardiac, I assume you're one of these people that calls dinner 'lunch' and tea 'dinner'. Laughing
latest report
that's the colonies for ya... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I did consider the train but I think that flaine is probably not as well suited to that option as some of the other resorts. I also thought of driving as I have done it before and have driven quite a bit in France.

I quite like the idea of the private transfer but still not sure I fancy the airport and flight!

At least the answers have given me plenty to think about.
snow conditions
Eye mask! Definitely. I didn't have one as it was all a bit short notice what with them deciding a few hours before whether flying was happening or not. But yes eye masks are fab, I did see one guy on the coach with one of them snoring his head off and I felt quite envious. He also had ear plugs in too and slept the whole way practically.
ski holidays
Quote:

flaine is probably not as well suited to that option as some of the other resorts.

No, I think that's right. But it's a very fast transfer from Geneva airport.
snow report
I'd go if Brendan was in charge.
ski holidays
I did one from Victoria bus station to 3 Vs in March 2007 (I think). While the coach was on the ferry we all had to get off while the driver and his mate re-configured all the seats so we could all lie down...it was like a double decker futon in a single decker bus!...it was actually pretty comfy and very cheap.
I believe that type of coach is now illegal in Europe...something to do with no seat belts. I suppose everyone would slide up to the front if the bus stopped suddenly. Smile
ski holidays
We have gone off the idea a bit as it appears to take longe than I was expecting, although not dismissing it totally. We still fancy an alternative to flying and I have been looking at the train, it's a real pity ther is not a proper sleepr option with private compartments. We would happily pay for an option like that.

Cheers
latest report
My parents take the train - leave London at 10ish and into Bourg 6pm - still a full day travel.
snow conditions
If you fancy using the coach then take a look at http://www.skimeribel.co.uk/travel.php They go from London Victoria to Meribel and La Tania. Their coaches have less seats in than the traditional coaches, the seats recline (properly), a foot rest comes out and the seats move in to the aisle to give you more room. You even get a blanket and pillow. There is a little video on their website showing all this. Its also pretty cheap compared to flights + transfer. Worth a look..
ski holidays
I went on two skiing holidays by coach with reclining seats about 15 years ago to Austria and Italy (not snowcoach). I didn't find the journey too bad and slept particularly well on the way back (remember dreaming I was skiing as the coach went round bends!). Not sure if I would be as chilled out about a long coach journey now!

Having since been skiing numerous times by train it is now my preferred way of travel to the Alps. How far is Flaine from Cluses station? You could may be get a train from paris to cluses and then local bus or taxi.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LDM, there is a sleeper option via the train but you have to change trains in Paris to take the Lunea service from Gare D'Austerlitz. Have a look at the rail europe website for info.

snowymum, I think Cluses is about 30-40mins but scheduled bus from Flaine IIRC
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy