Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
I need some help finding a helmet for this year. I had worn one before last year when my doctor mate convinced me that it was a sensible thing to do. So I rented one and whilst it was comfortable it looked rather ridiculous. I do not look good in hats.

Bawheid

So can anyone recommend a decent helmet that is not bulky and is not too rounded.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You really just need to go into a shop and try lots of different ones on - they are all different shapes/sizes and the most important thing is to get one that fits the shape of your head. And take your goggles with you so you can check they fit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming your post is serious, that is Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just make sure there's a good sized gap between the top of your goggles and the helmet - it's important to stop your forehead overheating and your goggles fogging up, but most of all it looks cool.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy wrote:
Assuming your post is serious, that is Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for the advice.

I have the problem of being abroad until New Year and I was trying to make a wee shortlist before coming home because I want to get to the slopes as soon as possible with a minimum of faffing. At one point I was considering not leaving the airport and flying straight to somewhere snowy.

It is serious. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sean1967, actually it is a good idea to check that you can wear you helmet with goggles. I bought my first helmet, a Scott, without trying it with goggles. I used it that week with sunnies and it was fine. Later I found that it pressed goggles down on the bridge of my nose. A comprehensive selection of goggles failed to fit well either - and I had to buy another helmet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sean1967, all helmets are much of a muchness, just depends which style you want. If you're a skier you'll probably want something low profile and unobtrusive, if your a boarder you'll want something in camouflage colours in a faux german WW2 helmet shape called "Wicked Bad Dude" or similar.

I second achilles advice, very frustrating when gegs and helmet don't fit flush.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sean1967 wrote:
...... my doctor mate convinced me that it was a sensible thing to do.....

just wondering whether a helmet helps to avoid injuries Puzzled Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, go and stand on the naughty stool at once.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sweet and POC do low profile helmets. Not cheap though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
get a Red one Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, I second achilles, its the naughty stool for you
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sean1967, Just be aware that the issue of Helmets can lead to threads of many many hundreds of posts Toofy Grin You may also find such a minefield of opinion in winter tyres, snowchains and other 'blue touch paper' topics. If you have a few hundred years free then try seaching 'helmets' on the search function.

assuming that is you have not just appeared out of the sock drawer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sean1967, it's far too early in the year for a helmet thread. Please go away till november Twisted Evil
ski holidays
good snug fit with your goggles and make sure there is facility for ear phones so you can play your iPod at a high volume Little Angel
ski holidays
rayscoops, the naughty stool is too good for you Shocked
snow report
Quote:

my doctor mate convinced me that it was a sensible thing to do
my doctor mate along with all his doctor mates also binge drink excessively and some of them smoke and do drugs.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

my doctor mate convinced me that it was a sensible thing to do
my doctor mate along with all his doctor mates also binge drink excessively and some of them smoke and do drugs.

Only because they can fraudulently embezel them from the NHS Toofy Grin
latest report
kevindonkleywood, Spoilsport! Laughing

hang11, There is also the issue of how to get suncream on that bit where goggles don't meet helmet without smarming it all over the helmet or the goggles when you suddenly discover that you forgot to do that bit Little Angel
snow report
embezzle
ski holidays
Also don't forget to test for 'goggle raised rest position' - will the goggles rest nicely on the flat face of the helmet when raised, or will you need to balance them on the 'lip' of the helmet? Little Angel
latest report
technically a defibrillator strapped to ones head may be of more use in certain circumstances, if not quite as elegant as a Red helmet Little Angel
snow conditions
what is the SH considered opinion on goggle strap/helmet colour? Same colour or contrasting?
snow report
Dr John, is black actually a colour ?
snow conditions
Dr John, well if it has writing on it, don't stretch it that tight that you can't read it.
ski holidays
rayscoops, for the purposes of this discussion, yes.

I'm leaning towards contrasting white strap on black helmet, which would juxtapose nicely my bright green trollies and black jacket. Or are I am being too much of a tart about the whole thing?
ski holidays
Dr John, the cool kids wear their goggle strap under their helmet
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, that's the wannabe cool kids. People who actually ski enough to require functional goggles are far cooler.
snow report
Arno, is that the new version of having the waist-band slung under the @rse?
latest report
Dr John, it is complementary to that look rather than replacing it
take no notice of DaveC - he has been indoctrinated by the reactionaries at CSIA
ski holidays
Arno, Maybe but that will depend on whether the strap has a socking great big plastic fitting in the back of it for adjustment - in which case it would be a tab uncomfy under the helmet.

B.t.w. on the subject of helmet straps, I often notice military displays where the 'chin' strap appears to between the upper lip and the nose (good example's in the Polish band on the tattoo the other night) - what's the deal there?
ski holidays
Megamum, when has uncomfy ever been an obstacle for the yoof - try wearing your pants hanging half way down your @rse wink
snow report
Is it not time we discussed helmet odour? I think its important to keep its damp after use and if possible store it in your boot bag. I do and find I often have large sections of the resturant/piste/chalet to myself Very Happy

Megamum, I know i am a spoilsport Toofy Grin sorry it will not happen again
latest report
kevindonkleywood, well it's got nothing on glove odour IIRC
ski holidays
Megamum, have you been rummaging in my stinky drawer again Toofy Grin

I promise to wash more often Laughing
latest report
Inners. Instant cure for stinky gloves.
snow report
Sweet make ace helmets, I love my Trooper. As well as looking pretty cool, I firmly believe they also offer the best protection out there, I've abused my Rocker (kayaking version of the Trooper) whitewater kayaking for the last 4/5 years, and despite all too regular contact with sharp pointy rocks it's still going strong (more to the point, so is my head). Not cheap though, I see they've bumped the price up again to £190 or thereabouts...
snow report
clarky999, you've got me thinking now, dragging my thoughts away from Giro/Atomic. One question though; I think you may be approx 100 years younger than me. Will a 40 year old look daft in something dangerously close to the "Wicked Bad Dude" type of helmet I mentioned above?
ski holidays
Dr John, Sweet Rooster is slightly more sober in the design, although just as low profile as the Trooper. Alternatively the POC Skull Light is very low profile, or the Skull X if you want a helmet that gives full protection to the side of your head by covering the ears.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy