Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useful Excess Baggage Dodge?

Poster: A snowHead
Spent a couple of weeks in Austria this summer and, as usual, took too much gear on the way out and somehow bought a whole lot more out there (not me you understand, it was definitely the others). Was v close to the baggage allowance on the way out so knew we had a problem for the return. So, (brainwave alert) I investigated posting a bunch of stuff back. Austrian post offices sell really good, big sturdy yellow boxes for a few euros each. Bought two and rammed them full of stuff that was no longer needed (including ski boots - shock, horror) and in total they weighed in at 18 kilos! Handed over about 35 Euros (can't remember exactly) and off they went, was given tracking details etc. Arrived here intact and unopened today - 5 days in total. Got me thinking that it might be worth trying in the winter in both directions or useful if you're the kind of person that can't resist buying sh*t.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much would it cost to post a pair of skis each way?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, I did the same thing after living in Oz for a year. Took a bit longer by sea but saved a fortune. Still managed to fly with almost 60kg and no excess charges but I was wearing slings and carabiners under my coat as the climbing gear weighed a fair bit - never get away with that these days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, neat. Did yo have to classify the stuff as personal belongings or a gift on some customs label?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa, a carabiner counts as an offensive weapon in aircraft security-land these days rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, I know - a couple of locking models make a great knuckle duster Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller, neat. Did yo have to classify the stuff as personal belongings or a gift on some customs label?

There is no need for a customs label when you are transporting goods from one EU country to another. AFAIK, you only need to tell them what's in the package for insurance purposes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:

no, no questions asked, no form filling. Bloke just weighed it, stuck on sticker, handed me receipt with tracking, done. The EU has advantages.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Orrrr.........

Check in and have weighed a large ski bag containing one pair of skis and assorted junk.

In transit to "Oversized Items" belt; manage to slip in two more pairs plus more bits n bobs.

Pass to Oversized Items Man with look of total innocence on yer mush.

Me gov? Never, honest Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, nice. One I'll remember. Thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, Nice, after Easyjet losing my baggage with my boots in it for 5 days, my boots now don't leave my side, hand luggage for them now on. I'd post other stuff though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, they re-weigh the oversized luggage items on the Swiss oversize conveyor at Geneva now, and not very accurately too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

a carabiner counts as an offensive weapon in aircraft security-land these days

Bonkers really, when that bottle of booze you just bought in duty-free doesn't. I'd not liked to be smacked on the bonce with a Gevrey-Chambertin.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Mosha Marc, they re-weigh the oversized luggage items on the Swiss oversize conveyor at Geneva now, and not very accurately too.

The gits.

There just used to be some tatty trollies to dump yer kit on Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, but the outsize baggage chappie/ess would assume that you have already paid the excess baggage so you would have still blagged it through !! - best not to go above the single man (32kg) lift maximum because they tend to stick a sticker on your bag identifying this
ski holidays
Quote:

they re-weigh the oversized luggage items on the Swiss oversize conveyor at Geneva now

Is that only if flying with Swiss? There was no weighing at the the outsize baggage belt a week ago when flying with easyjet and checking in two bike bags....
latest report
Did the posting back bit after my first season (I wasn't the only one) as it was cheaper than excess baggage. Some staff just stuck a postage label on their suitcase and sent it home that way.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Orrrr.........

Check in and have weighed a large ski bag containing one pair of skis and assorted junk.

In transit to "Oversized Items" belt; manage to slip in two more pairs plus more bits n bobs.

Pass to Oversized Items Man with look of total innocence on yer mush.

Me gov? Never, honest Little Angel

I've never yet had my ski bag weighed at check in (in either direction).

Which has surprised me.

I don't know if it is weighed as it passes through the oversize baggage point, but I really don't think that matters, since taht is not run by airline staff, unlike the main check-in, so if it is weighed there, it will only be to be sure it isn't over the 32Kg limit.
ski holidays
alex_heney, at Gatwick a couple of weeks ago I was made to repack a bit because one bag was over 23kg. Apparently the baggage handlers there won't touch stuff over that weight.
latest report
alex_heney, Easyjet, Ryanair, ANA and Jet2 always do mine. Or at least they have for the last couple of years.

That's at Liverpool, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Heathrow and coming back at Chambery, Geneva, Munich and Sapporo Cool

The last ones who didn't bother were BA on their old Manchester to Zurich or Geneva runs.

Who do you go with?
ski holidays
There's a simple answer to check-in staff trying to weigh your ski bag...simply leave one end of the bag overhanging the weighing belt (easy with a long bag), and surreptitiously place a foot under the overhanging end. Apply pressure, and hey presto the weight drops...just keep the pressure constant and nobody's any the wiser Little Angel
ski holidays
I've been told multiple times to transfer weight from my ski bag to my normal bag or vice versa. Seems totally ridiculous as it's all going on the same plane but there you go.
latest report
ChrisWo, last trip I did that I was asked to push the bag fully onto the scales....
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog, yeah, that's a bit daft. Still think though that people should be weighed with their luggage and charged accordingly.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
ChrisWo, last trip I did that I was asked to push the bag fully onto the scales....

How did she react to you doing that ? wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
it's sooooo easy - just tie numerous helium balloons to your bag. The check in staff will never notice.
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
kitenski wrote:

How did she react to you doing that ? wink Toofy Grin

I tied a donut to the bag, so it was't an issue.......
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

they re-weigh the oversized luggage items on the Swiss oversize conveyor at Geneva now

Is that only if flying with Swiss? There was no weighing at the the outsize baggage belt a week ago when flying with easyjet and checking in two bike bags....

Yeah, think it's just with Swiss. I was within limits thanks to their free ski carriage but they still insisted I transfer 1kg from my ski bag to my suitcase. Absolutely stupid as it's all going on the same plane and I was well within the total limits and each individual item was nowhere near the 32kg single item limit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As far as postage goes I think it is only a one-way affair...

I have noticed that packages sent from Austria to the UK are really cheap... but form the UK to here always costs an absolute fortune (about 3 times the price!)
I wouldn't rely on it for a holiday either... what if the post is 'delayed'...
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Still think though that people should be weighed with their luggage and charged accordingly.

Bode Swiller wrote:
just tie numerous helium balloons to your bag. The check in staff will never notice.

Swiller - you should, of course, be advising people to follow your approach and inhale (discreetly) from a gas cylinder in the queue.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:

it's sooooo easy - just tie numerous helium balloons to your bag. The check in staff will never notice.

Clearly the check-in staff would notice, they're not complete morons. No, you need to pack and then top your ski bag up with the helium...that should work fine.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
alex_heney, Easyjet, Ryanair, ANA and Jet2 always do mine. Or at least they have for the last couple of years.

That's at Liverpool, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Heathrow and coming back at Chambery, Geneva, Munich and Sapporo Cool

The last ones who didn't bother were BA on their old Manchester to Zurich or Geneva runs.

Who do you go with?

I've always been with TOs - Either Crystal or Neilson. Flying from Gatwick, Manchester or Bristol since I have had my skis (and returning through Innsbruck, Salzburg or Verona).

They still theoretically have a limit with the TO airline, but never seem to weigh them.

The only airport we both seem to have used is Manchester.

Coming back through Salzburg or Innsbruck they don't even get the chance to weigh them, because they are sent through the oversize baggage before checking in the rest of the luggage.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Coming back through Salzburg or Innsbruck they don't even get the chance to weigh them, because they are sent through the oversize baggage before checking in the rest of the luggage.

not true, what if you check in first before taking your bags to the over sized luggage area ? which I have always done
snow conditions
alex_heney, If you put them through oversize baggage before checking in, where do you get the luggage tags put on them so that they get on the right plane?
ski holidays
cad99uk, In fairness to alex_heney you can do it both ways, after he pointed this out on another thread onece I tried it at Innsbruck and the outsized luggage guy/lady put the label on, although I am not quite sure how it is then referenced/related to my ticket etc because I was not actually checked in at the time Puzzled

I think though that the bags can be weighed on this conveyor belt - the same as at checkin, but they choice not to do it for ski bags - being a major proper ski airport Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, OK. I don't think I will try that though...it would make the wait at baggage reclaim the other end far too interesting.
snow report
I've been handed the label to put on oversized items before now.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

not true, what if you check in first before taking your bags to the over sized luggage area ? which I have always done

Thath doesn't make it "not true", it means you have the OPTION to allow the check-in staff to see them.

It always seems silly to me, when the option is there, to not use it, since it means you don't then have you skis in the main queue.
ski holidays
cad99uk wrote:
alex_heney, If you put them through oversize baggage before checking in, where do you get the luggage tags put on them so that they get on the right plane?

You show them your ticket. They have a box of labels, sorted by flight. They stick a label from the appropriate flight on your ski bag, and stick the counterfoil to your ticket (as will happen with the other labels at the normal check in).
ski holidays
alex_heney, whatever Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy