Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gauntlet Style Gloves, with pocket on the cuff?

Poster: A snowHead
I've currently got some Scott gloves (no idea what they are model-wise as they are at least 5 years old), that are a gauntlet style, with a small squeegee style blade on the right-hand thumb, and a pocket on the left-hand gauntlet/cuff. These are superb as they hold a credit card sized object perfectly, and are the correct side to be picked up by the lift-pass rfid readers.

They do however need replacing, but for the life of me I can't find anything similar. Loads of gloves with the pocket on the back of the hand, but I hate the feel as placing a credit card in such a pocket restricts hand movement.

Does anyone know of a glove that has a pocket on the cuff?

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hadn't thought of looking for gloves with a pocket in them. My youngest has a ski jacket without a sleeve pocket for the readable lift pass and we have to find a separate security pass holder to go on his arm - the trouble is they are a bit mighty meaty for a small arm - I hadn't considered a holder on a glove. Good idea.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the North Face Vortex ski gloves have a zip pocket on the backs of the hand area of the glove as do some of the Head gloves designed to take a standard RFID card/credit card/condoms dpending on your plans Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quick word of warning; if you do choose to keep your lift pass in your gloves make sure you have lanyards on your gloves, and use them. To drop a glove and have to buy a new set may be regarded as a misfortune, to drop a glove and have to buy and new set plus a new lift pass looks like carelessness, if not bl00dy stupid.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
the North Face Vortex ski gloves have a zip pocket on the backs of the hand area of the glove as do some of the Head gloves designed to take a standard RFID card/credit card/condoms dpending on your plans Toofy Grin

+1 on the North Face gloves for the credit card holder plus they also have a goggle wipe and cloth thumbs for noses!!

I've had 3 pairs now and each has lasted a couple of seasons with almost daily abuse...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marcellus, and the removable liners are a great feature for getting them dry enough to avoid that yucky feeling first thing in the morning
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, well obviously! I actually feel like I've put my gloves on wrong if I forget to put the lanyards around my wrist Smile

Definately don't want the pocket on the back of the hand area as it restricts hand bending/movement.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paradigital wrote:

Definately don't want the pocket on the back of the hand area as it restricts hand bending/movement.

Unless you've got very very small hands no it doesn't....... get a credit card, clench your fist and put it on the back of your hand!!

Gloves will generally restrict your movement as much!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paradigital, not sure what your doing with your hands while you're skiing, but I haven't found carrying a pass or credit card restricts my hand movement in the slightest.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little pockets are for the hand warmer sachets, this warms the blood in the veins on the back of the hands
I have them on the Scott's i got last year
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jasongibson100, the hand warmer pockets are good yep. I don't often have to use handwarmers but last Dec in Tignes there was a -21 deg C day and I really felt it then despite my gloves being known to be amongst the warmest going. It was a shame there wasn't a pocket on the back of the hand because I ended up stuffing the handwarmer down by my palm which wasn't the best, but better than nothing.

What model are your Scott gloves out of interest?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus, Nice, insults, thanks. I've been out and about to various retail outlets trying as many pairs of gloves as I can, and HAVE been putting a liftpass in the pockets when trying them. I'm telling you now that the orientation of most of the pockets leaves the card too "high" on my hand, coming up to my knuckles on most, and thus making it more difficult to bend my hands into a shape such as one for holding poles. Either that or the pockets are just too small full stop.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just curious - why would you want a credit card in a glove pocket? I carry a wallet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paradigital, Does your jacket not have a liftpass pocket at the end of the sleeve ?
i'm looking for a new jacket and wouldn't get one without now
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, Lift pass is a card the size of a credit card. I don't actually want my credit cards in my gloves, just my liftpass on the left glove for use at RFID readers at lift entrances.

jasongibson100, Unfortunately not, no. If I were looking for a new jacket I'd take that into consideration, but my Jacket isn't that old yet.
latest report
jasongibson100 wrote:
paradigital, Does your jacket not have a liftpass pocket at the end of the sleeve ?
i'm looking for a new jacket and wouldn't get one without now

Yes they're ok, but during a season I swap jackets depending on the weather (plus how dirty one gets).... I NEVER ski without my gloves on.... plus by putting out your left hand you can get through most turnstiles without stopping.. whereas when I have used the sleeve pocket I seem not to get the timing quite right... cue humourous momnet of knees to bar to bending forward Sad
latest report
marcellus, the lift pass pockets on the sleeve is on the outside of the wrist, I seem to manage without bending over, however falling over coz I'm not concentrating is a different matter
snow conditions
If someone hasn't already said this why don't you just stitch something in to the gauntlets you like then get some goretex repair stuff and waterproof where you have stitched...
latest report
scotia, Hadn't been said, and good idea! Granted it won't be my stitching that I trust (don't want to lose a liftpass in the first 20 minutes), but that does open up a wide choice of gloves Smile
latest report
paradigital wrote:
scotia, Hadn't been said, and good idea! Granted it won't be my stitching that I trust (don't want to lose a liftpass in the first 20 minutes), but that does open up a wide choice of gloves Smile

...to completely ruin
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
paradigital wrote:

...to completely ruin

You're a pleasant so and so aren't you.

Obviously you have the craft skills of a slightly traumatised muskrat, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are useless.
snow conditions
paradigital, you're trying too hard with your analogy mate.

But seriously, have you thought this through? Given the double whammy of gloves being one of the most important piece of kit you have, and the lift pass is probably the most expensive single thing you'll buy on you skiing trip, I wouldn't be fannying around with a DIY lift pass holder that involves breaking the waterproofing of your gloves. You carry on though, have fun and enjoy the prospect of freezing cold damp hands and the long walk back from wherever you are when you realise your lift pass has fallen of.

Or keep your lift pass in your jacket.
snow report
Dr John, if it goes in the gauntlet part of the glove does it really matter? Probably not. Besides, I have repaired a couple of goretex jackets (similar to the 'repair' I have suggested above) and they have held up well. I repaired a tear in my goretex Galvin Green golf waterproofs 5 years ago and it is still going strong. If you have experience to the contrary I would be happy for you to share it Very Happy
snow conditions
scotia, no, waterproofing probably doesn't matter as much if it's on the gauntlet, however I'd still be nervous about losing the pass. I'm sure your seamsmanship is impeccable, although I'm not sure golf and skiing are comparable activities wear and tear-wise, so I will bow to your greater experience.
latest report
after saying in this thread that i always have jackets with pockets in the sleeve, i have just got myself a nice new jacket without

So i now have the same problem,

I've just found these and at only a fiver, its worth a try. hopefully they're not too bulky
http://www.k-kuff.com/info/s-kuff/

couple of other solutions too on same site
http://www.k-kuff.com/info/x-kuff/
http://www.k-kuff.com/info/g-kuff/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy