Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a UK/Europe intro to touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I have done a fair bit of touring in the UK and Europe, but the instructors were always organised by a third-party organisation. Consequently I never payed much attention to who they worked for, just their names and what they were telling me to do...

My better half is keen to give touring a go, but I would like her to take an introductory course first so that she's familiar with transceivers, avalanche drills, etc.

Can someone recommend a UK/Europe based introduction to touring course, which they have either recently taken themselves, or which a friend has recommended.

(It's not an issue if the course is beginners only - I'll either skip it, or attend too as refresher courses are not a bad thing).

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://eagleskiclub.org.uk/tour/introductory-ski-touring-course

you'll do well to find something better priced (although I don't know what the price is this year - suggest you get in touch with Mr Teasdale)

edit: cost all in (excl transport to get there) is £325+CHF800
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is a weekend long enough?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1551271
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpine Experience do off piste and bits of touring. It depends on snow conditions but they often need to do a bit of skinning to access the chosen slopes. Add to that Henry's Avalanche Talk and the training they offer on avalanche awareness, safety, transceivers etc and your better half should learn much of what you want. Henry also does multi-day courses, one of those may suit you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fr0sty, www.offpisteskiing.com who posts here as offpisteskiing is hoping to run one for snowheads.
Highly recommended.
He found us some great snow last year. There is a thread for this some where titled "snowheads intro to touring" I think.
If I can I'll do it again this year.
Mountain tracks in Chamonix are good for avi courses.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RPF, how could I forget the intro?

fr0sty, if you only have a weekend, definitely give that one a go. if you have a week, consider the eagles one
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

how could I forget the intro?

Arno, first thing that went through my head was how could Arno forget the intro?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If your looking for UK based course then Glenmore lodge do introduction courses - in both winter skills and also ski touring.
Glenmore lodge & Glencoe are going to have the UKs first snow based transceiver training parks this winter - sponsored by Anatom.
Your other cheaper UK based option would to hire an MIA for the day to do a specific avalanche awareness course.

The plateau between Cairngorm and Ben Macdui is actually remarkably reliable for touring in Feb / March. Way more snow sure than the ski area. Though depending on conditions you may need to hike 400/500m up to the snow-line (as the funicular cant be used by ski tourers).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RPF wrote:
Quote:

how could I forget the intro?

Arno, first thing that went through my head was how could Arno forget the intro?
That's why I posted a link to the "Snowheads intro to touring" thread (albeit clothed in secrecy) just after Arno.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for the glenmore lodge courses if you want to stay in the uk. I did one of the 5 day courses a couple of years ago and it was very good, it covered avalanche awareness tranceivers etc. There was also a series of evening talks for the keen on mountain navigation, avalanche awareness etc.

I think they do beginner and intermediate courses and also do a weekend introduction.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
you may need to hike 400/500m up to the snow-line (as the funicular cant be used by ski tourers).

Even if you buy a lift ticket?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
betterinblack wrote:
Even if you buy a lift ticket?

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/mountain-access-and-conservation

Quote:
All visitors including skiers and non skiing visitors may use the mountain railway and should undertake their activity within the ski area boundary (please refer to piste map). We remind all visitors that it is not possible to use the railway at any time of the year as a means of access to go beyond the ski area boundary and explore the plateau area. However, visitors are free to explore any part of the mountain area by walking from the car park and we ask them to use the network of established footpath routes.
Our terms and conditions of carriage for non skiing tickets specify that we do not allow the carriage of sports equipment, this includes; ice axes, crampons, mountain bikes etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We remind all visitors that it is not possible to use the railway at any time of the year as a means of access to go beyond the ski area boundary and explore the plateau area.

Which is not true, it is just their interpretation of the VMP. Most would say that as long as the train isn't your last uplift then you can go where ever you want. Its also unenforceable. What they can do is refuse carraige of equipment such as iceaxe and crampons.Of course if you were solely touring you'd probably not want to purchase a ticket as you'd have to buy a full price ski ticket at ~£30.

Another example of the unenforceability of it is that I'm a season ticket holder. I carry my season ticket whenever I'm at CairnGorm as it entitles me to a discount in catering as well as use of the lifts. So I turn up and the weather is a bit poor, so i have a ski in the area. Weather improves so I head off over the back - I'm suposed to ski to the bottom and start skinning up from the car park - I think not. Or the whole area is open and I take the DLP, WWP CT and PT to the top. I've not used the railway at all and the VMp cannot apply restrospectively to equipment that was on the mountain before the railway.

The sooner the VMP is rescinded the better. The fastest way to get to the european protected area is to turn right out of the carpark and take the northern corries path and go no where near the uplift. Shows how stupid the VMP is. It is actually a fair walk from the top of the railway to the european protected area!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks everyone for the suggestions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy