Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying in Sallanches - where to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings snowHead !

Have the chance of a couple of days skiing with my 12 year old, based out of Sallanches.

The only downside is its the first week of the French Feb Hols.

Any suggestions as to where might be (relatively) quiet to ski with plenty of cruisy blues - he's only had one week on snow.

Suggestions so far have been Cordon/Combloux, Les Houches & Les Contamines.

Grateful for any first hand perspectives you'd care to share.

Thanks,

CW Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cardweg, Megeve is also near but would imagine it would be busy there, though probably no busier than the resorts you have already mentioned. Will you have a car?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cardweg, those are all good suggestions - if the snow cover is good Combloux and that side of the Megeve domaine, and over to La Giettaz should be good, though some of it might be a bit challenging for him. Another suggestion - just a bit further up the valley - is Praz sur Arly. There's a fast new 6 man chair there and we found it much the best place, throughout the Espace Diamant, at New Year, when things were generally pretty busy. I haven't skied there in the February holidays - we come home then - but it would be worth a try. But that might be a bit challenging, too. Further along, but definitely more choice of easier runs and not usually too crowded is Crest Voland. Probably the best of the lot for a one-weeker, but also the furthest to drive. Nice drive along the valley, though. You'd only need the local (Crest Voland) lift pass. You could happily potter around all day in CV - wouldn't matter which lift, the few reds (only two of them a bit tricky) are easily avoided. Some fantastic cruisy green runs there, too. Great fun with some soft stuff at the side and between all the runs, if the conditions are kind. No fearsome drags (unlike the Val D'Arly resorts which have some drags best left for more experienced skiers). Lovely views of the Aravis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry, forgot the link to the piste map http://cache.skiinfo.com/maps/fr/slopesandlifts/EFRPRAZSURAR.jpg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I'll have a car - depending on who you stay with the hire car option (with the "SNOWHEADS DISCOUNT CODE") works out at least £40 and up to £100 cheaper!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cardweg

I reckon that Combloux wil definitely fit the bill.

We stayed in Sallanches (Ibis Hotel) two years ago and skied there on an early March (school hols) weekend. It was relatively quiet and has some great, not too demanding, runs for just cruising about as well as some steeper reds etc if that's what you are after. The area is quite extensive, with links to Megeve.

The scenery is fantastic too (great Mt Blanc views) and access by car is excellent. It's only about 10 or 15 mins drive from Sallanches and you can ski to and from the edge of the car park - we skied back to the car boot.

Sallanches town centre is pleasant enough - a few nice restaurants with prices a lot more reasonable than up the mountain. Excellent pizzas I seem to recall.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict,

Did you hire kit on the mountain or in Sallanches? If the former. do you recall if there were lockers for hire?

Thanks,

CW
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Combloux would be among my top choices too. We had own kit but I think there is a hire place at the top of the car park with lockers - Mabboux sport??. Having said that, I probably wouldn't bother as the uplift from the car park access point is by a very easy drag lift and then chair and I really can't see the benefit - there is almost no walking to be done. The slopes around the main Combloux side are a good place to find ski legs with it getting slightly more challenging the further towards Jaillet/La Giettaz.

Another tiddler to consider for the first day if you just want snow rather than miles might be Plaine Joux the 12km or so area local to Passy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cardweg

Took our own kit - so I'm afraid I can't help on that one.....Except to echo Annie's point re. easy piste access and virtually no walking with kit. If you can get the car in the right place in the car park you can ski from and to it as we did - and do no walking at all Very Happy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
has anyone got any thoughts on childcare in Combloux, or is it better for a adult only trip?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lightningdan,
Combloux (according to its website) is seemingly very child friendly - free lift passes for under 5s etc:

http://www.combloux.com/en/skiing/ski-school.html#listingobts
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you mountain addict, I will have a look at the link.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, Combloux, Le Bettex or Les Houches?

I'm thinking about chairlifts v drags & quietness in Week 1 of the French Hols. Of course those are probably mutually exclusive Sad

Cheers

CW Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
cardweg

Sallanches town centre is pleasant enough - a few nice restaurants with prices a lot more reasonable than up the mountain. Excellent pizzas I seem to recall.

Definately....the take out pizza place left at the main traffic lights next to the river does a mean tartiflette pizza wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mmm tartiflette & pizza. Two of my favourites... But together???
snow conditions
From Sallanches, a place I often eat dinner at its supermarket cafeteria, the skiing choices are numerous.

Distance wise I think Domaine Evaision (Megeve,/St Gervais/ Combloux) and Grand Massif (Le Caro/Morillon/Samoen/Flaine) are probably of similar distance. Then there are those in the French side of the PDS (Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz), Chamonix Valley and the La Clusaz with small places like Les Houches and Les Contamines along the road to Chamonix and St Gervais.

During the French mid term break all hell will breaks loose in all of them but deeper into the valley should have less visitors. It is all about cost and distance so the quietest place could be Courmayeur as the French need to pay the Mont Blanc tunnel toll to get to this Italian resort. I would stay away from Grand Massif and Domain Evasion and try Les Gets which is fully linked with Morzine or drive a bit further to Avoriaz where I could ski to the Swiss side of Porte du Soleil. The French would be happy to stay within their own side and pay less for their ski pass (individual resort instead of a large area pass) so the Swiss side of PDS is usually a lot quieter.

You do have to get to go to each resort "early" in order to park the car at a convenient spot. I would try to reach the car park no later than 9am. Most of the French skiers have their cars too so strike early.

If you drive, take the skis and boots with you and forget about the lockers.

I would shop around for equipment I stay in Sallanches. It is a haven for skies, clothing and boots with couple of the big sporting equipment stores.
ski holidays
Agree with the supermarket dining recommendation - Crescendo at Carrefour . My 13 year old has it as his restaurant of choice when we're out there.

With only a week under his belt, you might even look at Cordon (11km of piste) or Plaine Joux just above Passy (8km) with the commensurate pass costs. (Still think that Combloux followed by Les Houches is probably the best of the options though!) There is only one zone on holiday that week ....albeit Paris, so I'd be expecting fairly busy but not "all hell breaking loose"

Grand Massif is a fair old hike further than accessing the Mont Evasion.
ski holidays
I used to ski Chamonix area and left at the first week end of the French mid term break at the beginning of Feb. I would be travelling in one side with normal traffic while the opposite direction would be jam packed probably all the way to Lyon. To me it is a madness which I would avoid at all cost. The French schools do stagger their mid term holidays to avoid releasing the pupils at the same time.
ski holidays
I'd chosen Combloux since it was the closest reasonable sized resort & therefore quickest to get to in the mornings.

I'd thought of Cordon too, but was unsure that with only 11km the selection of greens & blues might not be up to much. Likewise with Plaine Joux, I suppose, but a day in each might work.

Would the visiting Parisians bother about the wee stations, or are they keen to avoid the crowds too?

Thanks for any perspective you can bring.

CW Happy
snow report
cardweg wrote:
mmm tartiflette & pizza. Two of my favourites... But together???

Oddly, the first way I had tartiflette - in the cafe in the leisure park in les Contamines - and this is exactly what my 10yr old son will have when we take him to one of Perth's excellent French restuarants for his birthday dinner next month. Don't knock 'til you've tried it.
latest report
Ok, you've got me interested. Tartiflette pizza is obviously more common than I first thought.

So what does it look like? A bread base with tomato sauce and a dollop of tartiflette on top, or just a regular cheese tomato bacon & onion pizza with sliced potato on top?

Not too much of a diverson, though, i want to keep this thread about helping me find out about ski resorts.
snow report
It's funny as the only time I've parked at Combloux I remember having to carry my skis a bit to get to the lift - but then it was right at the end of the season so snow cover next to the car park was thinning out. But if Annie, and mountainaddict, are right (which I'm sure they are) then having car boot storage right at the bottom of the lift is brilliant. I'd never driven to the pistes before moving to La Giettaz, and it's been a total revelation - you get access to all your extra clothing, food etc. without taking your skis off and without having to carry it round the pistes. Combloux or pam w's, suggestion of Crest Voland are both great options. Combloux obviously has access to a much bigger and more challenging area, but if you're only skiing for a couple of days and want to keep it nice and gentle for your son, then Crest Voland will also suit you well. Also agree with Annie - you're not going to find all hell breaking loose with only one sector of France on holiday that week!
latest report
cardweg wrote:
Ok, you've got me interested. Tartiflette pizza is obviously more common than I first thought.

So what does it look like? A bread base with tomato sauce and a dollop of tartiflette on top, or just a regular cheese tomato bacon & onion pizza with sliced potato on top?

Not too much of a diverson, though, i want to keep this thread about helping me find out about ski resorts.

No tomato; reblochon, potato, lardon, onion, creme fraiche on a pizza base (so a bit like tarte flambee, really).
snow conditions
I'd agree with everyone about Combloux and Crest Voland, but feel that Combloux edges it in tems of the drive-time from your base. We skied there last season and were really surprised at the extent of the terrain. It's truly beautiful, too - particularly on the run over to La Giettaz. I've reviewed it, with some pics which should give you a good idea of what's on offer: http://www.mountainpassions.com/winter_ski/resort_reviews/alps/ski_combloux.html
It's pretty unpressured at most times, and the steeper (but not THAT steep...) pistes are generally wide, which will reassure a less-experienced skier. If you go for it, let us know how you get on.
snow conditions
If you're staying in Sallanches there really is a lot to be said for Combloux (including bargain lift pass). The only proviso would be if snow cover lower down is poor - but at that time it should be fine.
ski holidays
I don't know which of the areas will be least busy as I don't ski in the French hols if I can help it - the key thing is to get out early, have an early lunch/snack break (around 11,30) then ski all through lunchtime when the restaurants will be busier than the pistes. It can get pretty hectic when the afternoon ski lessons start clogging up the lifts - that might be the time to give up for the day.
latest report
@MountainPassions - thanks for that link, it has reassured me about the resort, especially your little trip report. As someone who has skied the whole mountain with impunity for a couple of decades or more, choosing somewhere to suit the needs of a beginner is a real challenge. It's all the more important when that beginner is my son & we've only got 2 days skiing. I REALLY don't want to put him off with a bad choice.
CW Happy
latest report
[quote="pam w"]If you're staying in Sallanches there really is a lot to be said for Combloux (including bargain lift pass). The only proviso would be if snow cover lower down is poor - but at that time it should be fine.[/quote]

So Pam, how are things with snow cover? Still standing over your prediction? When's the big dump coming?

miranda, what about La Giettaz. Is snow cover holding up?

CW wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cardweg wrote:
Greetings snowHead !

Have the chance of a couple of days skiing with my 12 year old, based out of Sallanches.

The only downside is its the first week of the French Feb Hols.

Any suggestions as to where might be (relatively) quiet to ski with plenty of cruisy blues - he's only had one week on snow.

Suggestions so far have been Cordon/Combloux, Les Houches & Les Contamines.

Grateful for any first hand perspectives you'd care to share.

Thanks,

CW Happy

Hi I am in the same boat as you I am arriving in Cordon on 8th Feb and all of the ski schools are fully booking, I am getting limited one hour possibilities for the odd days.
latest report
Interesting that things don't really change........ eight years later and people finding it difficult to find lessons during French half term holidays!

You might find greater success in booking lessons if you head for/try to book them in a larger resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy