Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern vs. Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey there, just wanted peoples thoughts on the two resorts?

Have never been skiing in Obertauern and considering going this season, have been to Lech many times, just wondered if it was time for a change? Obviously both very different resorts!

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hmm I've to both and I liked them. Much more apres going on in Obertauern, snow should be good there as well. I would go for a change, definitely.
And I would combine Obertauern with some of the resorts close by, Zauchensee is amazing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Willkommen bei der Schneeköpfe Herr Schilehrer! Noch einen Österreicher Toofy Grin

Skiing is excellent in both but very different to be honest. In Lech you need to take out a mortgage to do anything other than survive, whereas Obertauern is for mere mortals with normal bank accounts! At least that is the image that Lech likes to promote in order to keep the riff-raff out and retain its exclusive tag.

Lech is expensive for everything outside your basic accommodation and food package. I stay in a Frühstückspension (B&B to the Brits) and am extremely careful about where I go for my evening meal. Lunch is usually at one of the mountain restaurants over towards St Anton or Zurs as there are none among the Lech pistes.

Obertauern is at the top of a major pass between two areas and as such, does attract more than its fair share of claggy days for some reason. Depends on when you are going to be honest. To ski Zauchensee from there you need transport and have to buy another ski pass as they are not on the same one (unless you have the Salzburgerland Super Ski Pass). Why not look at some of the ski areas closer by e.g. Schladming and the Dachstein area, or Flachau/Wagrain/St Johann-Alpendorf. These will all give you access to some fantastic skiing, plenty more than even the most hardcore piste bashers can cover in a week.

You need to say when you are looking at going and if you are reliant on a tour operator or not. If you are based in Austria, then the chances are you are independent and dealing directly with the suppliers.

Servus wink

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Servus Samerberg Sue!

Sorry I should have said originally, that I'm considering spending the season in either resort. Any opinions from a seasonaires point of view? Whats the apres scene like in Lech? Also am a little concerned that the skiing in Obertauern isn't overly challenging, thats what I've read anyway...

Ciao!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skilehrer89, forget both as bases for seasons! One will bankrupt you, the other bore you in Null komma Nix!

Go for a more central location in a big area such as Flachau, Wagrain, Schladming, Scheffau, Mayrhofen, St Anton. Even Kitz is a better option for a whole season.

Any particular reason for selecting those two extremes?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Always liked the look of Obertauern (ski in ski out etc, and heard the apres scene is good) and I have a big soft spot for Lech. I'm not overly keen on St Anton as a village but like the Arlberg ski area. Some of the areas you mention I fear as being too low. Ive been to Schladming many times and had no snow ins tal, and not much up top either!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skilehrer89, Obertauern has a great snow record and some really fun apres on slope and off - people party hard in Obertauern. Two important strong points. But it is not a big ski area, and a number of the runs are relatively short.

On top of that the town can be a little soulless - high and purpose built, pretty much strung along one long road.

I've had lots of really great long weekends in Obertauern and overall I like it a lot for that (and in low snow years it can be really useful) and imagine you could probably have a good week there, but as Samerberg Sue suggests it would probably be pushing it a bit to spend a whole season there given some of the other places available.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skilehrer89, apres in Obertauern is about as good as it gets...check out Lurzeralm!!but the runs are short, good off-piste tho. I think you would definately get bored after a few weeks.Lech is fantastic for the skiing and apres, but as has been already mentioned, pretty damn expensive.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually as an afterthought, why not check out Zell am See?? The skiing is really great, plenty of off-piste , and the apres is legedary...Schnapps Hanns at the top of Schmittenhöhe, or in town The Crazy Daisy or the Hexenkessel.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skilehrer89, Buy one of the Super Ski Passes for either Salzburgerland or Tirol (both are around the 550/590 Euro mark. Get some cheap digs centrally in the valley and a vehicle that will survive the winter and have a ball finding out which resorts are the best.

Es macht überhaupt kein Sinn in irgendeine Kaff einen ganze Saison zu bleiben, wenn es gibt so viel mehr zu tun und zu endecken! Schau einfach herum! rolling eyes Blödsinn nur in einen Ort so zu bleiben Puzzled

pfiaddi

Heid woaß ozapft in Rosenheim!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, genau!!! Übrigens, voi spaß in Rosenheim......ozapft ist auch hier in Karpfham Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for the info, plenty to consider indeed, still erring towards Lech tho I have to admit (I know, I know i'll need a mortgage)

Anyone out there with experience of having done a season in either Lech or Obertauern?

Von mir aah, voi Spaß heid!

Seavas pfiati! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bin blöd! Es war schon gestern!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With a username like skilehrer perhaps you can give us all a free skilehrer calendar wink (usually shot around Lech). If you're working in lech maybe you would get better earnings??? Could base yourself in stuben at a fraction of the price of Lech - plenty of off piste on your doorstep and halfway between St Anton and Lech.
Lech is one of my favourite places on this planet - apres ski not great though - The Burg bar in Oberlech has quite a nice vibe and the Pfefferkorn and Kron (sp?) are ok. My mate went to Obertauren at NY this year (and regularly comes with lads to St Anton and has been twice with us to Oberlech) and wasn't overly impressed with it. FYI his two favourite ski resorts are Lech and Whilstler and he goes around 6/7 ski trips a year (lucky bar steward)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy