Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't break your leg skiing...the operation failed :(

Poster: A snowHead
April '08 spiral fracture of Tib and Fib and operated on in Switzerland with a titanium pin pushed in the full length of the Tibia.

Healing was a bit slow (allegedly because I am "not 17" as a doctor put it!) but all healed up. I skied about 35 days last season, not at my old pace, and somedays the leg hurt a lot but I was skiing.

I still had residual pain (every step I take, every day) not bad, a niggly pain that your mind blanks out until somebody asks "how is your leg?" and I realise it still hurts.

It was reccommended that I have the metalwork removed (though there is no harm if it stays) as that might cure things.

So yesterday I went into the Day Surgery Unit for what should have been a 20-30 minute procedure: unscew a couple of screws and pull the pin out from the head of the tibia.

Two and a half HOURS of surgery later....they gave up, it would not budge.
Suffice to say that with all the extra anaesthettic and pushing/pulling/straining I feel like shoite. Leg hurts like hell, back on crutches, and feel woozy and lifeless.

So like I said....don't break your leg skiing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp, really sorry to hear that. Hope the rehabilitation gets back on track soon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp, Ooo...Poor you, very sorry to hear that, I hope things end up OK for you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp, OUCH !!! Hope things get better for you. A lady I know had op on fractured femur a few years back . She had just got back to more or less normal, and had started skiing again. Metalwork gave way on her in the UK in the Autumn.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp, Sad Sad Sad Do hope things improve soon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Commiserations. Really sorry to hear that Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp, Sad same thing happened to my brother, after a motorcycle accident (entirely the fault of the motorist who hit him, having overtaken two cars which had slowed behind him as he signalled to turn right). They couldn't get the metalwork out. Wrong kind of screws. and he WAS 17. rolling eyes Hope it soon settles down again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
They couldn't get the metalwork out. Wrong kind of screws.

What they only had a flat head and needed a phillips? Shocked

My metalwork all came out and I felt a load better but still took a few years to be anything near normal
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, poor fella. Big hugs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hubby's metal work is permanent, and I'm not sure he'd want it removed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry to hear that.. you've obviously healed too well around the metal. Even better news today + six weeks = only marginally into glacier pre season so still plenty of skiing for you this season?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rungsp, Commiserations Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really sorry to hear that noise J!

I'll try and give you a call next week.

Keep your head up and re-hab like no tomorrow. Rent / download Kickboxer and other inspirational 'training' films! You can do it Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shite on a stick mate - I really thought you had made a remarkable recovery; so sorry to hear it's become complicated Sad

Hells Bells, Jeez - if he's going to head bang he'd better keep it all in Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

they only had a flat head and needed a phillips?

something about their being self-tapping.......
snow conditions
Sad
snow conditions
Hells Bells, that's only because his head would fall off. Laughing
ski holidays
rungsp, Sad that's rotten. I hope things improve
snow report
holidayloverxx, I don't think he is supposed to headbang Shocked
latest report
I wouldn't feel too down just because they failed to get out the all the metalwork. If they managed to get out the screws which run perpendicular to the intamedullary nail you may well find the original pain is much better (in about a month when the post op pain settles). So I wouldn't go rushing to have more invasive surgery as more often than not if the nail is well fixed the little screws are the ones that are causing the problem.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 31-08-10 13:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
betterinblack, I have no intention of going back.....they said they woulkd have to re-break my leg to get it out!
snow conditions
It's fairly unusal to "have to re-break" in order to get it out unless the metalworks broken however it is a risk in removing any metal so discretion is often the better part of valour
ski holidays
Yikes - any thoughts of mine coming out have just been ditched! Hope things improve quickly & it's better than before
snow report
rungsp, Bad job, hope it improves soon.
snow report
I have had the exact same operation 1 year earlier, no mention of the metal pin coming out for me and it's fine now, you wont notice it next season skiing especially if you managed 35 days this year And you wont break it again in a hurry wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy