Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Snapped in Half by Service Shop

Poster: A snowHead
Just like it says, a ski shop in Tignes snapped one of my skis (18 month old Rossignol Bandits purchased in the UK) in half during a service in May this year. This happened when they were running the base over the grinder.

They said that this was caused by a fault in the ski - the snap occured where the front piece of the binding was screwed into the ski - and that they would take things up with Rossignol on my behalf. They said that they were fairly sure that Rossignol would give me a new set of skis. As I was due to return to Tignes over the summer, I said that I would pick up the skis then. A message was then left on my home answerphone in June that the job was sorted and my skis were ready for collection. So far, so good.....

As it happens, fellow snowHead Bergmeister got to Tignes before me and was kind enough to pick up the skis on my behalf. To my (and his) surprise, Rossignol has replaced only ONE Shocked ski. Rossignol's apparent explanation for this is that because the skis are a few seasons old they could only find one of them....Bergmeister complained on my behalf but was given a take it or leave it response. He brought the skis home for me.

I am thinking of taking it up with Rossignol. What do you think?

- Are you a bit surprised like me - as I now have one second hand ski that's been skied on for 70 or 80 days and one new one? Not to mention, if you took a faulty pair of shoes back you would get a new pair, not just one.... Are Rossignol taking the proverbial? Or:

- Should I think myself lucky that at least I've got some skis?

A further point is that the skis are no longer a proper set. The patterns of the original pair didn't match - in that one ski had a bird wing pattern on it while the other had 'Rossignol' written on it. Now both skis have the bird wing.... Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:
Are Rossignol taking the proverbial?

Yes, although I'm struggling to think how a "fault with the ski" could lead to it being snapped in half when put through a grinder.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict wrote:
Just like it says, a ski shop in Tignes snapped one of my skis (18 month old Rossignol Bandits purchased in the UK)

How much did they charge you for the favour?

More seriously you could be really anal about it and complain that you've now got 2 lefts or that you can't possibly have matched flex but probably life is too short. Try it on if you like but unless they really skied differently I wouldn't bothher.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
never heard of a fault on a ski causing it to break on a grinder. Out of warrenty I'd say Rossignol did not need to replace them. Tignes ski shop for breaking it on the other hand. Shop broke...shop replace is my thoughts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A ski really shouldn't break putting it through a grinder though. It must be a fault in the ski unless the shop staff really are that totally and utterly retarded but I doubt that. If it snapped across the mounting then I guess it's quite likely the mount was bodge job so I would think it would either be Rossignol for a ski fault or whoever mounted it that is responsible.

Thinking about it, it was probably already on its way out so they might have done you a favour by snapping it rather than you doing it whilst out on the slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, My OH had a problem with one of his Rossignol Bandits, that he'd bought at Snow & Rock. The skis were about 18months old, but S & R took it up with Rossignol & they not only replaced both skis, but upgraded him to the newer (at that time) model which included therefore new bindings too. I'd chase it up with Rossignol & good luck.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maybe it was the shop who were only able to source one ski Puzzled

and... maybe a phone call to Rossignol would be a good shout either way - you never know, they may never even have had anything to do with this.

either way, i'd expect a new pair of skis rather than just one. you could argue they ski different Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a Salomon Crossmax delaminate and claimed on my ski travel insurance. They paid cash value (minus wear and tear as per the policy) and I went and bought a new pair of skis in the sales.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd try and get something sorted with Rossignol, but personally I'd be ok with having a replacement. Ultimately many many shops would have put it down to user error in the past, wear and tear, or a fault caused by something else, out of warranty, of you toddle with 3 skis instead of two Smile

It can't hurt to complain, they may go above and beyond to keep a customer for the long term. Or they won't. But it can't hurt to ask.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly,
Quote:

maybe it was the shop who were only able to source one ski

and... maybe a phone call to Rossignol would be a good shout either way - you never know, they may never even have had anything to do with this.

either way, i'd expect a new pair of skis rather than just one. you could argue they ski different

Exactly what he said, no ski manufacturer would do this, replace one ski, they would replace it with the current model or version in a pair, always, always, always.
It's the shop that broke the ski and that are pulling a fast one.

Would love to help you out on this one, expose these sods, can speak a spot of french and have a bit of experience with the ski business in france.
PM me
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
That's rather kind of you! Will PM you as suggested.
Quote:

It's the shop that broke the ski and that are pulling a fast one.

The thing that I find odd though is - why would they give me only one ski if they did have two? There would be an odd one left??
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oops - misread ealier bit:
Quote:

maybe it was the shop who were only able to source one ski

Ignore my last post about having an odd ski left..... Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know nowt about ski manufacturers, but I would be dammed annoyed if it was me. Either the shop or the manufacturer is at fault, but at the very least two new skis should be part of the deal IMV - sock it to them SZK!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Help!! I am trying to PM SMALLZOOKEEPER...but it doesn't seem to work.

I have PMd before but it was so long ago that I've forgotten what to do Embarassed....can someone provide The Idiot's Guide please rolling eyes ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, Top right hand section of this page, "send/receive messages" Put SMALLZOOKEEPER, in recipient section and write!

Good luck sounds to me also that the shop is chancing their arm! Let us know the result!!
latest report
mountainaddict,I think it stays in your out box until it's picked up by the OP
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Had it been a shop in La Plagne there is no doubt they would have replaced both skis and given mountainaddict, a spare pair as well for good measure wink
snow conditions
mountainaddict. Wow.....

I'd guess the shop probably knew Ros would fire the blame back at them, so scared up an orphan on the jungle drums, but could only find the same as you had. I can't see ANY manufacturer sending out just one of pair.

If you ain't got the busted one, not sure Ros are going to be that keen to replace them, that may be an ask too far, but good luck.

As regards the flex issue, not too scientific, but get a couple of 3x2's/bricks, lay the skis on 'em, vary the distance (thus flex), stand on 'em and see where it's at. Should give you a ballpark guide, and hopefully put your mind at rest.
snow conditions
Just think yourself lucky Puzzled if they were flawed enough to snap on the grinder then they could very easily have givven up on the piste or landing a jump.

bit strange though just replacing one ski, although i belive that Line?? do freestryle skis that you can buy a single of if you smash one in the park the idea being to keep the costs down for the kids so it is not without precidence to supply only one ski as a replacement.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, the shop is responsible. They owe you a pair of equivalent skis. Up to them if they duke it out with Rossi. Do a Pandora.
latest report
mountainaddict,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3289
ski holidays
ricfrench,
Quote:

I think it stays in your out box until it's picked up

Ta for that - I have indeed found the PM in my outbox - not yetpicked up by SMALLZOOKEEPER (I had thought it would go into my sent box so was looking there.)

Quote:

Just think yourself lucky if they were flawed enough to snap on the grinder then they could very easily have given up on the piste or landing a jump.

Exactly. When I think of some of the locations where it could have snapped I consider myself very lucky indeed. A very long walk home after lift closing time comes to mind - and that's disregarding the possibility of being injured somewhere off piste if it snapped while I was skiing. Mind I could always have practised my swishing on one ski routine to get home! It looks easy enough when I've seen instructors doing it wink.....

I did spot a crack the full width of the ski, just in front of the binding toe piece - but had thought it was just a superficial mark in the paintwork. It wasnt very deep - 2mm max - but was obviously worse than it looked with the pressure of passsing it over the grinder then being enough to snap it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone so far for your observations and comments. Will keep you all posted.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, 2mm, thats some 'scratch'
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

Do a Pandora.

Is this a trick that I can do in the park even with a snapped ski Toofy Grin?? What's a Pandora Puzzled Is it Swiller rhyming slang or something?

Please enlighten us!
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
What's a Pandora Puzzled

Throw a Pandora.
To take a nominally reasonable complaint and through hyperbole, innuendo and inflation of the problem transform it into Whinge, with the proviso that the person Throwing A Pandora should do so anonymously, e.g. on an internet forum.

Thrown a Pandora
To receive an anonymous whinge.

Conjugation e.g.
We are Throwing a Pandora.
To join in with the person Throwing a Pandora or to exacerbate by encouragement.

I have Thrown a Pandora.
To Throw a Pandora then leave the discussion.

Plural
Scatter a Pandora (extremely common)
To Throw a Pandora on a number of internet forums

Antonym
Pull a Pandora (extremely rare)
To admit that your original Throwing a Pandora was over the top.

Etymology
Pandora’s Box – Originally a jar but, due to an incorrect translation of "Hesiod’s tale of Pandora" by Erasmus of Rotterdam, is now colloquially known as a box.
The jar was given by Zeus to Pandora and contained all the evils of the world. She was instructed not to open the jar but disobeyed this order and released all the evils now present.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 30-08-10 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mountainaddict, This... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60313 is "doing a Pandora". If you go half as crazy we'll all love it.
snow conditions
I agree with Swiller that the shop is responsible. The fact that Rossignol supplied a replacement doesn't mean that Rossignol accepted any liability - maybe they were just being helpful.

I used to live in Pandora Road, London NW6, in case this is relevant.
ski holidays
Quote:

I used to live in Pandora Road

Ahhhhh! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was the replacement ski brand new or is some poor sod still wandering around outside the apres ski bar looking for his/her second ski? Wink
latest report
Quote:

Was the replacement ski brand new

Yes - so now have one brand spanking new ski and one not so new.

In terms of an update, I'm still waiting for SMALLZOOKEEPER to open his PM, so no developments yet.
snow conditions
Im just guessing but I would have thought that if the life expectancy of a high end ski is about 26weeks
( Toofy Grin Toofy Grin No can of worms opened there?) of 'hard; skiing before it really starts to become noticably soft.

Then below about 12 weeks the variation in flex between them should be fairly small once you have put a week on the new one.

Im still intrigued as to just how they were able to get sufficent force into the ski during the base grind to snap it at its stiffest point, unless it was just about to fail anyway, in which case as mentioned earlier i think they did you a favor snapping it on the grinder.
ski holidays
I've concluded that the grinder was, in fact, a 9-inch angle-grinder. With a diamond disc this makes easy work of cutting paving slabs etc. in half.
snow report
mountainaddict, ifirc the smallest zoo keeper is branching out with a new zoo in Finland so I guess he may be travelling there or he may just have gone into hibernation now the French summer season has drawn to a close until the winter season kicks off Very Happy
snow conditions
boom, away at the moment, got some stuff i need to look at will be back in the office Monday. try and help you then.
snow report
my money is on the shop causing the damage, skis don't just snap without warning...if they do it is normally on the first 10 turns, they need heavy impact or something else to cause a problem like this.....

if the machine jammed or spat the ski out, the force which it could have come out the machine is enough to put it through a plasterboard partition so if the workshop wall was solid and in the way it is possible that the ski could snap

as has been said Rossignol would not replace a single ski No ski company would do that, sounds like they have been scraping round the bins to find a single ski.

sure SMALLZOOKEEPER, will be able to take a look and work some magic
latest report
Cheers SMALLZOOKEEPER!

For everyone's amusement, here's a photo of the ski, though I'm not sure how to post it so that it comes out bigger than this Embarassed. It does enlarge if you click on it though.

(There ya go! Michelle)
latest report
mountainaddict, The shop were hooligans IMV!! I'd have been damned annoyed.
snow conditions
Quote:

It does enlarge if you click on it though
ooh you are awful.

Agree with CEM, the shop is behaving in a well dodgy fashion.
ski holidays
If a snap like that could have been caused by a fault in the ski, I'm surprised it held up whilst you skied on it. I reckon it got jammed in a machine.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
18 month old Rossignol Bandits

Now needing Rossignol Bandaids

How old were the bandits running the shop?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy