Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intrawest and Compagnie des Alpes partners in new mega development in France

Poster: A snowHead
CDA (Compagnie Des Alpes) and the Canadian group Intrawest have signed an agreement for the development of a second resort site in France. A 2,500 bed complex is to be built at Flaine. It is scheduled for completion in stages between 2008 and 2012...

The first partnership agreement between the two companies was signed in 2000. The Arc 1950 village above Bourg Saint Maurice in the Paradiski domain, a 3,800 bed complex, is well on the way to completion. The first section of the village, totalling 1,400 beds, was finished at the end of 2004, with the second part of the village, a further 1,550 beds, scheduled for completion in two stages in 2005 and 2006, ahead of schedule.

According to the CDA their figures for the current six month exercise to end March are "as expected", with only Serre Chevalier performing badly, snow cover having been well below seasonal norms. The CDA points out that current returns are being boosted by land sale and lease agreements such as the Intrawest partnership and further property developments within the Paradiski domain (unlinked to Intrawest).

Over the 2003/2004 financial year CDA turnover reached 372.2m euros, with net profits of 29m euros.

Intrawest Les Arcs

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 16-04-05 7:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do these guys publish the skier densities they're targeting? It's pretty clear (to me) that CdA are chasing very high skier numbers to get the return on their lift infrastructure investment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a double pay-off for the CDA - increased skier density on the slopes using the lift infrastructure, a land lease/sale policy to boost their annual revenue. Local authorities are unlikely to demur as they will gain from increased taxation income, private resort businesses from the increased sales potential. You have to assume that someone neutral is overseeing the environmental and planning issues, but where big commercial interests are involved.... Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

You have to assume that someone neutral is overseeing the environmental and planning issues

... or assume, on recent evidence, that someone who ought to be neutral is doing nothing of the sort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Exactly, the deals will start coming thick and fast I think. Mind you, Flaine might stand the improvement Very Happy

The choices are becoming starker though, you can take the CdA "vision" with high skier densities and "modern" lifts or, something more like here, some drag lifts and character.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder if the Flaine development will improve the tower blocks? I would rather stay in Samoens.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samoens is a rather flawed proposition though, very little of the accommodation there is convenient for the lifts. Fantastic mountain town though of course.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="davidof"]
chrisb wrote:
I wonder if the Flaine development will improve the tower blocks?

There are existing plans to wood clad them but as they are listed (site classé) improvements may prove difficult. I can imagine that in 10-15 years time we'll be thinking what a dreadful pastiche Arc 1950 is. (Well okay maybe we don't have to wait that long, Arc 1950 has already been dubbed "lunapark" by one influentual journalist).

Personally I'm not a big fan of classical Bauhaus architecture but rather a few tower blocks than a whole valley desecrated by faux-Savoyard chalets.

One man’s tower block is another man’s piece of classic modern architecture. I hope you don't go into the Tate Modern and say "you know, what these Jackson Pollocks need is a coat of magnolia". Laughing

I note that while the CdA stations have stagnated this year smaller resorts have had a fantastic season by and large. In the Pyrenees the profits are up around 35-40% and Autrans in the Vercors has tripled its lift pass sales. Maybe the message is getting through or maybe the policy of the CdA in making the French riff-raff as unwelcome as possible is proving a success?

[edited to fix formatting]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 15-04-05 22:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, although I would agree that close up the Flaine blocks are at the very best 'hideous, viewed from the slopes, they blend in quite nicely. I don't think an Intrawest development would.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
davidof, although I would agree that close up the Flaine blocks are at the very best 'hideous, viewed from the slopes, they blend in quite nicely. I don't think an Intrawest development would.

Helen, I would invite you to take a closer look at, for example, the Mur Pignon on Flaine Forum or the fireplace in the Hotel des Lindars. As I said, bauhaus architecture is not everyone's taste but a lot of thought went into these buildings. Anyway I'm persona non-grata in Flaine so it is moot for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm persona non-grata in Flaine

davidof, You can't just leave it like that! Come on, tell all Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Traditional mountain villages for me and a low lift capacity in line with bed capacity. That way the mountain traffic should be ok with a view to lifts queues and skier on piste density. But I can understand the villages wanting bigger and therefore more potential income..

But as to whether these could be regulated properly...well, as the comments above say, not likely with the sums involved.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
Quote:

You have to assume that someone neutral is overseeing the environmental and planning issues

... or assume, on recent evidence, that someone who ought to be neutral is doing nothing of the sort.

Yup, precisely what I was implying, as can be seen when you take my quote in full context...
Quote:
You have to assume that someone neutral is overseeing the environmental and planning issues, but where big commercial interests are involved.... wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, I had a hire car when I was there so that probably colours my view, and if I had had the kids with me on that trip I might have a different view.

davidof, Never been to Tate Modern, but a gather it is very much like out Baltic Centre here in Newcastle and I would not put magnolia on that. I am also a fan of the Angel of the North and the Byker wall, but not square blocks on a mountain side. I did not see the blending in affect that others do when I was there in January. The whole place seemed too artificial for me.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belle Plagne has multi-storey blocks but in chalet style shapes and clad in very dark timber. Close up, the place is nothing too striking architecturally but better than bare concrete. IMO. Certainly most visitors reckon it is the most attractive of the purpose built parts of La Plagne. But see it from a height and a distance and it fits into the scenery surprisingly well in that it appears to be a traditional village. Certainly better than the monstrosity that is Aime La Plagne.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 16-04-05 9:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
Quote:

I'm persona non-grata in Flaine

davidof, You can't just leave it like that! Come on, tell all 8-)

Oh it is not of major importance. The Director of Tourism doesn't like small, independent websites writing about Flaine and didn't care for what I had to say. He seems (at least in 2002) to like a lot of control in what is said about the resort... he also preferred masse tourism through Tour Operators rather than independent travellers. I suggested it was an outmoded marketing strategy routed in the 1980s (I'm beginning to sound like David Goldsmith now) and that independents researching information over the web were the future rather than the bucken-and-spade brigade, but what do I know? It was he who told me they were going to wood clad the buildings coz the billies don't like them.

Anyway a lively discussion to say the least. The guy had bad attitude to guests (like me) in my opinion. I had heard that the lifties had been to charm school - but certainly not the folks in the tourist office.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
Quote:

There is a lot at stake... but developments such as the Espace Diamant have been held up on environmental grounds so if there is enough pressure. I was talking to a water resources expert who said the CdA's plans were just not realistic in terms of sewage treatment and water consumption, especially when they want to divert rivers into reservoirs for snow canons. One head of a French environmental agency has also received veiled threats if he makes too much noise about the developments - he was told by a mystery phone caller that the roads into his office were dangerous and he could end up skidding into a gorge if he didnt' allow more developments including road improvements.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

Oh it is not of major importance. The Director of Tourism doesn't like small, independent websites writing about Flaine and didn't care for what I had to say. He seems (at least in 2002) to like a lot of control in what is said about the resort... he also preferred masse tourism through Tour Operators rather than independent travellers. I suggested it was an outmoded marketing strategy routed in the 1980s (I'm beginning to sound like David Goldsmith now) and that independents researching information over the web were the future rather than the bucken-and-spade brigade, but what do I know?.

If IntraWest are building 2500 more beds then it rather looks like he was right doesn't it?
snow report
Quote:

One head of a French environmental agency has also received veiled threats if he makes too much noise about the developments - he was told by a mystery phone caller that the roads into his office were dangerous and he could end up skidding into a gorge if he didnt' allow more developments including road improvements.

Has this man identified himself and been able to report his fears to the police? If it's true that criminal activity is linked to these developments I think the ski community should know about it. Where did this report emerge, davidof?
latest report
ise wrote:

If IntraWest are building 2500 more beds then it rather looks like he was right doesn't it?

Yes it appears that way.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:

Has this man identified himself and been able to report his fears to the police? If it's true that criminal activity is linked to these developments I think the ski community should know about it. Where did this report emerge, davidof?

He told me about it, there is no report. Honestly there is very little the police can do about such threats and very little they could do to protect you if someone decided to carry out such threats but it is not an isolated incident.
latest report
davidof, I stayed in Les Lindars so I am well acquainted with the fireplace. I spent my first ever skiing holiday there ( and the second one)
snow report
Helen Beaumont, you've reminded me I stayed there too many many years ago. Mid '70s. Vaguely recall the unusual fireplace. The PA system was playing Sultans of Swing constantly and when I asked the barman who it was (I thought it was Bob Dylan) he said ..... [thick French accent] Dear Stret [/thick French accent] took me ages to work it out rolling eyes
Anyone know how 2500 new beds compares with the existing resort size and where the new development might be located?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-04-05 9:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:
Anyone know how 2500 new beds compares with the existing resort size and where the new development might be located?

I asked the question on Skipass, and the response was "Pierre Carrée". Apparently a new 4 star hotel is planned there as well.
snow report
On the resort map (can't link directly) there is a Col du Pierre Carrée vers domaine de Vernant 1854m - roughly midway between Hameau 1800 and Fôret 1700 and a little higher than both. I assume it's going up there somewhere. Another hotel would be good for Flaine - I think it only has 3 at present.
latest report
kuwait_ian, I found the following but the figures for Arc 1950 contradict each other - 3,800 is mentioned but then two tranches totalling 2,950. So it would seem that the 2,500 bed Flaine development is certainly smaller than in Les Arcs but how much smaller I am not sure:

The first project signed in June 2000 between Compagnie des Alpes and Intrawest, which led to the creation
of 3,800 beds at Les Arcs 1950, is now being finished ahead of schedule: 1,400 beds were completed at the
end of 2004 and 1,550 will be delivered in 2005 and 2006.
snow report
StanBowles, thanks for that but I was really wondering how 2500 new beds compares with what Flaine has now before Intrawest enlarge it?
latest report
Quote:

Certainly better than the monstrosity that is Aime La Plagne.
At Easter a group of us spent quite a while gazing into the distance at Aime La Plagne from our chalet balcony, dressed in shorts, basking in the early spring, early evening sun, sipping fresh cold beer...................aaahhhhhhhh. Whilst it is not "beautiful" in the traditional sense, it is the most striking of landmarks and has almost come to symbolise La Plagne. It will be interesting to re-assess it in 20 yrs time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
StanBowles, Erna Low (the UK agents) wrote before the development was built:
Quote:
The development, currently budgeted at £174m, will provide 800 residential units with 3,500 beds, a spa and swimming pools, plus restaurants, cafes and shops.

And later:
Quote:
The village is being built progressively in phases and is due for completion in 2008. When finished there will be a total of 800 apartments, ranging from studios to four bedroom apartments

I understood there to be three phases involved.
latest report
3500 extra people at peak time is a lot, there will be a couple of thousand more beds with developments round the Massif as well. Links to Sixt are to be upgraded which will be another hotspot if anyone fancies a punt. Along with the projected lift up from Magland so most of Geneva can ski there it's going to be busy Sad
ski holidays
ise, I thought the Sixt and Magland links remained conjecture rather than definite? A lift from Sixt back into the main ski area would make that a very nice spot but it's been talked about for years hasn't it? Are there any firm dates?
snow report
The last I heard I thought the land for the Magland link had been bought but it seems to have gone quiet. But a lot of it could well be hot air.
snow conditions
ise, I saw quite a lot of discussion on the French Grand Massif forum about the Magland link this season but difficult to know how definite it was. Of course, CDA would have a real interest in it if it brought more lift revenue. It would also be handy if it brought people to within a few metres of the projected joint development with Intrawest although most people renting apartments there would probably want to bring their car. However, of course, while Flaine is one of the nearer resorts to the rest of France, Holland, UK etc, that last stretch up to the resort can be quite a problem. Because of the bowl, you have to drive up high in order to drop back down to 1600. Having a 'park near the autoroute and get a lift up' option would give more flexibility and ease a lot of problems in snowy transfer days.
snow report
ise, Where will the Magland link run ? Having seen the level property prices at "bottom end" of PdS may now have to look at Grand Massif Sad
snow report
Newbie50, You're way too late, half of Essex already has stopped looking at the PdS and started to buy in the Massif. Which is why we're leaving, Les Gets is unspeakably awful and I don't want to see it repeated outside my front door. They've already driven prices to ludicrous levels and the restaurants to pastiches of Macdonalds.

StanBowles, I think you're missing the point about the Magland link. Ski stations do more than cater for traveling punters. The Magland link would make the Massif around 45mins from Geneva and be the closest and most snow sure station for anyone from Geneva. That's the business they're chasing with that lift, holidaymakers really don't come into it.
ski holidays
ise, Yes indeed. My post was not intende to be a review of the business logic of any Magland link. I understand that it is day and short-stay visitors that it is principally aimed at which is why I talked about more lift revenue. My post was focused on any relevance of the Magland lift to the CDA/Intrawest development which, while not being the main logic of any Magland link, is the topic of this discussion and nonetheless will be an influence on CDA thinking on lifts since it is such a significant investment. By the way, going off-topic (!!), I have just checked out and enjoyed your snowslider site. What do you make of Zinal? As a regular visitor to Zermatt I have often wondered about Zinal but have never been.
ski holidays
StanBowles, I love Zinal, we've bought some land there and are building on it. Zinal is the other extreme of places like Les Gets or what's now happening in the Massif. For me Zinal is the way skiing's supposed to be.

I'll be in Zermatt the week after next actually.
ski holidays
ise, Can Zinal slopes be seen from Crans Montana across the valley?
snow conditions
ise, Has anyone ever accused you of being opinionated ? Very Happy

You could of course suggest that Les Gets has a building moratorium which will protect it more so than others ??. I am new to skiing but have second-owned / lived in France for a bit . For me Bad = Courchevel or Megeve where they really dislike Brits IMHO, no??? ... However anything that avoids Essex-aux-montagnes is always good advice !

I also confess to having a 'French-style' attitutude to Switzerland and its 'occupants' Smile ( Actually need to be careful about writing what I think given how much time I need to spend there! ) Shocked

Bottom line - you think PdS and Grand Massif are bad choices/investments with no 'hidden nuggets'?
snow report
ise, Have you had the chance to ski Grimentz on your visits to Val d'Anniviers? Again a place that I've been intrigued by. It sounds like a nice village with the ski area offering something worthwhile but I am not sure how much is north-facing there or in Zinal?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy