Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern 8th Jan - anyone been this early?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are very excited expectant Grandparents (first time!) Very Happy so trying to avoid due date, which means going away much earlier than normal or waiting till after the birth. We've think we might opt for 5 weeks prior to birth, which lands us on 8th January. Thanks to jet2 we can now go DIY again & hotels all do cheaper early season ski packages (as they do in late March, our other option) which is a bonus. But before I hit "purchase" I am wondering just how cold/windy/snowy it will be in a high resort above tree level. Depth of snow doesn't concern me, it has more than enough from November onwards, it’s the lifts being shut due to high winds or days of white out conditions that are making me hesitate. So if any of you out there regularly go to this area in January...in the words of Monty Python...what’s it like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953, you've spotted the potential risks of Obertauern - if the weather comes in it can shut things down. Whether January would be especially prone to this (other than saying that January is normally colder than April obviously) is going to be hard to tell and I suspect you will just have to throw the dice. I've been to Obertauern from December through to April and had good and bad weather in each month, but as you say the one thing Obertauern rarely lacks is snow! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sharon1953, as nozawaonsen says - you are as snow-sure as you can be. The actual weather when you are there is a lottery.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks, beginning to think 26th March is a better option, but January breaks up the long winter, March is almost spring!!! What a dilemma Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cold is not necessarily bad. I can remember several fabulous January days super crisp and blue skies. All rounded off with some great ribs at Luerzeralm... And I can remember some pretty wild storms in March (Emma in 2008...)...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Head low in Jan.

Head high in Mar.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went at new year once and did have I reckon 4 out of 6 days that were unpleasant to ski in due to poor visibility. It's a dilemma as obviously snow will be plentiful, but we did have several days of white-out (to the extent that we only saw the whole vista once, luckily on new year's day), and a couple of days of heavy snow which left sections closed for avi control.

I liked the place though and we might have been unlucky so I don't want to put a downer on your plans. If it were me though, I would probably choose lower alti in Jan where having enough snow to ski on is less of an issue or go to OT in March. If you're DIYing how about doing something like Radstadt/Altenmarkt or Schladming in Jan, get the Salzburg Superski pass and spend a few days in OT if it's clear? We love our 'ski safari' holidays!

D

PS Jet2 from Manchester = big sigh of relief from us as well!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PPS should also have mentioned, the actual cold was no problem for us, but lack of vis constantly and closed sections was a bit of a PITA to be honest.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, I was there in the middle of the December 2007.
Lots of snow and lucky enough 5 days of clear blue sky. It was cold but not windy - perfect.
Amazing conditions, if not the best we had.
Saying this I have heard that Obertauern might be prone to bad weather.

I was in Zauchensee/Flachau last year in late March and we did have mixed weather. However
all lifts were open and still pleasant to ski.
I believe you could see Obertauern from Zauchensee and while we had fairly sunny weather there - it looked like Obertauern was under the clouds.

It's all luck but I had some amazing weather on early trips - last winter 7 days of clear sky in Livigno in December.

March is warmer and days are longer but it might get more precipitation. This is at least my experience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deliaskis, Agree. I would definitely combine Obertauern with one of the resorts you mentioned if I was to go back there one day.
So many nice places nearby: Schladming, Flachau/Zauchensee/Wagrain etc.
Yes, you need more expensive ski pass but for DIY booking it is fairly easy to find accommodation just for a few days and the take a bus to the other resort.

For this winter I am thinking of doing Schladming for a 4 days and then take a train to Gastein for another 2/3 (same ski pass, 1.5h by train).

If staying only in Obertauern you can take a bus to Lungau area. Included in Obertauer ski pass: http://www.lungo.at/
They are lower but apparently with some long and nice runs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You'll also pay less to stay in one of the lower resorts as OT does charge a bit of a premium for 'height'. Loads of options in the valley with doorstep skiing, plus OT just a bus ride away.

The Salzburg Superski pass is just a few EUR more than single area passes so makes a lot of sense - I think last year over 6 days it was something like EUR11 more than our local pass so it made sense to get it for the flexibility.

D
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last year we stayed in Obertauern (early Feb) and had superb snow - On two of the days we caught the bus to Mauterndorf and Katschberg to ski there. Both areas are lower with lots of tree lined skiing and well worth a visit if conditions are not great higher up (it's also cheaper in the resturants) - I think that it's covered on the Lungau ski pass.

I thought that the whole area excellent having spent 25 years skiing in France.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 26-08-10 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sharon1953, I've only skied for a day there in early Dec, but the lack of tree skiing available in bad weather would put me off going back for a weeks holiday, staying down the valley and driving there for the odd day sounds like a good plan to me (assuming you were going to get a hire car....)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies. If we were younger we might consider moving around, but we like to get there, unpack and stay put! Prefer not to spend valuable mountain time sitting on buses or trains, and don't want to hire a car either. The arrival time of our flght means we can't use the Obertauern transfer, so already having to use train to Radstadt, and bus or taxi to OT (private transfer for just 2 is expensive) and that's as much messing about as we want to do.
We've been in Feb. 3 times, April once, had good weather, brill snow everytime, but never skied in January. As we like eating/sitting out in the sunshine, I can't help thinking it's making more sense to go for March!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Update: just booked flights for 2nd April! Decided to leave full 5 weeks post birth - at least we'll get a tan!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy