Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NEED HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Well firstly i'm not even sure if this is in the right forum, so please correct me if i'm wrong!

Anyway... I need help on choosing a pair of skis..

ive only been skiing for a total of 24 days on snow but have booked a trip and looking to book a second for this season and im fed up of wasting time in rental shops so have decided to buy my own equipment this year!
any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First priority is boots. Have you got those yet? If not, start there.

24 days on snow is about right to start buying stuff if you want, hopefully you will have tried a few things before you buy. Come the start of the season Hemel, Milton Keynes, and other snow slopes will have demo days. That's a good way to get a feel for skis.

On the boot front, let us know where you are based and we'll try and advise someone locally who can make sure you get some suitable boots that fit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah i have boots, i have a pair of salomon spk pro's that a friend recomended + they are super comfy! just wanted an idea of what sort of skis i should be looking for and how much i'd need to spend really?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For your first pair, I wouldn't go bonkers. £150 will get you a virtually new pair of skis secondhand, and if you buy from the personals on here you will find people honest about condition, and plenty of people open to what kind of skiier they are suitable for.

We'll need to know your height, weight, ability (what kind of slope you can ski, and also what you enjoy skiing), on piste or off piste, how hard you want to work, and what other skis you've tried and liked or not liked.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
im 5'10 ish, about 11stone, i have skied a black runs in austria before but tend not to spend all day skiing them (i dont know if that helps lol) generally on piste but enjoy going off piste occasionaly, hope that helps?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
timae93 wrote:
......i have a pair of salomon spk pro's that a friend recomended + they are super comfy!......

Make sure the skis you buy have plenty of length adjustment in the binding as you'll soon be downsizing your boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why will i? :S
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
timae93'Super Comfy' sounds like they're probably too big.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
timae93, 'cos people often buy boots too big, to be instantly comfortable, and then soon find they're slopping about in them and losing a bit of control. Depends on how much you want to develop your skiing - I'm sure plenty of people are skiing around quite happily in boots too big for great control. I'd agree with the suggestion about second hand skis - as long as you can get proper info (NOT ebay, where people here have been known to boast that they've sold skis for more than they paid for them). I bought an excellent pair for £100, and a pair for my son in law (rather old and tatty, but they'll do) for £60. Don't forget that if you're flying, those skis will cost anything upwards of £100 to take with you, plus you'll need to pay for servicing. Having your own is nice, but won't necessarily save you money. Certainly won't save you money if you buy them new in the latest graphics.

And yes, this is exactly the right forum. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, haha, I was thinking the same though

Super comfy new boots ?
Whatever next, helmets that don't flatten your hair ?.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just 24 days skiing? I'd still hire, notwithstanding the hassle. Your requirements for a ski are likely to change a lot over the next few skiing weeks. BTW owning your skis has benefits, but, unless you drive to the mountains, ownership is not a hassle-free option. Own skis have to be lugged around, and you'll discover the joys of outsize luggage.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
timae93 wrote:
im 5'10 ish, about 11stone, i have skied a black runs in austria before but tend not to spend all day skiing them (i dont know if that helps lol) generally on piste but enjoy going off piste occasionaly, hope that helps?

I'd have a look at the personals, you'll find plenty of options there. Look our for skis between 165 and 175 length, you may as well go for a piste ski (i.e. 90% of the skis you see for sale will be piste skis) and if you want to go and play in the powder just rent a pair for the day.

You really don't need to spend more than £100. If you are patient, you are likely to find something for less than that even.

Bear in mind ski carriage, however most companies this is about £30 return for european flights. Do a few trips and you've saved the cost of renting, plus if you buy secondhand you can often sell for very little less than you paid after a few more weeks on snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I ski in boots that are a full size and a half too big for me, due to a "comfort error" at the time of buying Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Don't forget that if you're flying, those skis will cost anything upwards of £100 to take with you, plus you'll need to pay for servicing.

That's a bit of an exageration....SleazyJet are currently charging £36 return for taking skis, nowhere near £100!! Even with carriage costs the current exchange rates on the Euro make it pretty good value to take your own compared to hire charges. Invest in a little kit and some practice and servicing your own is easy too...(well I get Mr HH to do mine of course!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
any ideas where to look for second hand skis then anyone?
my boots are the right size as i bouight them slightly tight and have skied for two weeks with them now + a few hours indoors and there lovely now.
ski holidays
I got my Volants off of Ebay, cost me £50 Very Happy

Why not post a wanted add in the Buy Sell Exchange section
snow report
timae93 wrote:
any ideas where to look for second hand skis then anyone?
my boots are the right size as i bouight them slightly tight and have skied for two weeks with them now + a few hours indoors and there lovely now.

= definately too big wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Why not post a wanted add in the Buy Sell Exchange section

i would post a wanted add as suggested but the problem is i dont know what im after, ie, brands/ranges??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy