Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Equipment hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My wife and I are going skiing next Feb (2011) and we will both need to hire equipment . What is the view of getting equipment in the resort as opposed to a company in the UK?

It will be my wifes first skiing trip and I have not been for a number of years. I had always prefered owning my own boots after a very bad experiance many years ago with boots hired at a resort. After that I bought my own, although these are far too old now.

Cheers for any advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Resort Very Happy

If there is a problem with the boots or skis you can get them sorted straight away, hired in the uk then your stuck and you will have to pay ski baggage costs if your flying.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers - Sorry should have added we will not be flying!

I was leaning towards in the resort for the obvious reasons but as mentioned I had a really bad experiance (although a long while age) at the resort where the shop just did not care.

I guess if you hire in UK and are not happy with the boots when you pick them up you can still hire in the resort but once at the resort you are stuck with whatever is left.

Maybe that is unfair and no longer true.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hire 'in resort' over the internet whilst in the UK through one of the large chains.....you can then pre-book what equipment you want
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with The Voice of Reason. For convenience, and value for money, I would hire in the resort. There are some really cheap ones out there if you prebook over the internet. Where are you going skiing? I know skirepublic have shops in loads of resorts in france. My friends used them when we went to Val Thorens a couple of years ago. Very cheap, the equipment wasn't too bad either and they were well waxed and edged. One friend even got his ski boots changed 3 times (I think this was him being fussy rather than a problem with the boots!!) which wasn't a problem for them. They do buy one get one free over the internet, if memory serves me correctly. Just a suggestion.... Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the replies!

Well it seems "in the resort" is the recomendation. We are not flying so there would be no issue either way. Although obviously I don't want to pay over the top, the most important thing is that the equipment is of a decent standard and that the boots fit well.

We are going to flaine which happens to be the place that supplied the awful boots many years ago, they appeared to be ancient but more importantly they just did not fit and the shop staff were useless and uninterested.

If it were just skis I would not be too concerned (although years ago we use to hire from airport skis at gatwick) but the prospect of being offered a pair of ill fitting boots as the only option does worry me.

That said I fully appreciate things will probably be a lot better nowadays.

Cheers
Lee
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy