Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is there a camber in skis???

Poster: A snowHead
Having looked at a few new skis lately and in particular at a pair that had no camber, I began to wonder why there is one at all?

I understand that when the ski is pressured it creates a reverse camber enabling you to carve a line, but could you still do this if they were flat skis??

As it would appear that most skis have a camber there is probably a very good reason for it.....but can I think of it at the moment....no

Please help because until I get the answer I cannot get on with my work.

thanks

Rich
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oi Oi Savaloy, Camber gives spring and rebound to the ski, think of leaf springs.
when you stand on a cambered ski it actually becomes flat, if it had no camber it would go into reverse camber immediately.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, surely only if you were standing above a hole or over fairly soft snow - would that happen on the majority of bashed pistes?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, So glad you said that...because thats what I thought, but did not want to look even less knowledgable than I already am!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The reverse camber is vital for all river side dwellers to keep the goats out of your sock drawer Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum wrote:
Spyderman, surely only if you were standing above a hole or over fairly soft snow - would that happen on the majority of bashed pistes?

Yeh because they are already partially 'loaded' when they are running along a flat piste (at least that is my understanding).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, The camber helps distribute the load along the skis length, without it the load would be considerably greater under the foot.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, i thought that was the main point - the camber helps distribute the load along the ski's edges so you get better grip
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman wrote:
Megamum, The camber helps distribute the load along the skis length, without it the load would be considerably greater under the foot.

That sounds to me like the answer I was after...thanks very much...back to work unfortunately
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, the spring effect helps keep pressure on tips and tails; this helps keep them in contact with the snow.

Useful on a piste, not so useful in deep snow as no contact with the snow is lost.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Curses. No one had posted after scotia while I typed that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman,
Quote:

Camber gives spring and rebound to the ski, think of leaf springs.

Puzzled I don't think so. The elasticity of the ski does that.

Arno, Mosha Marc,
Quote:

the camber helps distribute the load along the ski's edges so you get better grip
&
Quote:

the spring effect helps keep pressure on tips and tails

Let's just think about this. Even on my burliest skis (190 FIS GS) I can squeeze the ski middles together using my thumb and index finger. So the amount of weight being spread is broadly equal to that force (divided by 9.81ms^2). Which is really, really not very much.

I am going to propose that maybe camber is simply a result of having the ski formed in such a way that it is already stressed when flat and gives a more progressive flex when moving from flat to negatively curved in a turn?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

Camber gives spring and rebound to the ski, think of leaf springs.

Puzzled I don't think so. The elasticity of the ski does that.

I am going to propose that maybe camber is simply a result of having the ski formed in such a way that it is already stressed when flat and gives a more progressive flex when moving from flat to negatively curved in a turn?

Which is exactly how a leaf spring behaves. When used in say a car the spring is already under load just by carrying the weight of the car. It's natural shape is more curved. Elasticity is a materials ability to stretch and deform and return to its original shape, which is exactly how spring behaves.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

i don't really know what i am talking about but i suspect that this comment is also "disproved" by your squeezing the edges together test
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.omerandbobs.com/info%20center/winter%20faq/generalstuff3.html
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Let's just think about this. Even on my burliest skis (190 FIS GS) I can squeeze the ski middles together using my thumb and index finger. So the amount of weight being spread is broadly equal to that force (divided by 9.81ms^2). Which is really, really not very much.

True, but if it's enough to keep the ski in contact with the snow then that's all that's needed.

Otherwise the tips would flap more than a fat lass in a cake shop.
ski holidays
Spyderman, ummm, yes, exactly. But suspension leaf springs don't start out with positive camber and then move into negative camber. It's more or less camber, not a change in camber direction.

shoogly, are we talking alpine or nordic? I thought alpine. Though that makes me wonder whether camber isn't just a historical artefact.

Mosha Marc, I think you'd find that a non-cambered ski would behave in much the same way. In fact, having skied on skis where the camber had been well truly beaten out of them, I know this to be a fact. I have a pair in my garage.
ski holidays
under a new name, I was suggesting the cambered ski would flap less than a non-cambered ski.
snow report
Can we clear something up. A traditional ski is reverse cambered, one of the current range of cambered skis is just cambered, all this powder nonsense. Zero camber is a flat ski. Am I right, here?
latest report
Quote:
Even on my burliest skis (190 FIS GS) I can squeeze the ski middles together using my thumb and index finger. So the amount of weight being spread is broadly equal to that force (divided by 9.81ms^2). Which is really, really not very much.

Yup - you may be able to squeeze the middle section together without much effort.
But it takes much more effort to actually reverse the camber of the ski (as would happen when you properly carve a ski on hard snow).

Basically the camber in a ski allows pressure to be built up evenly through out a carved turn.
At the end of the turn the camber then pops the ski back to its 'un-weighted' shape as you stop applying pressure.

Full reverse camber on skis helps keeps the tips and tails above the surface in powder.
But they obviously don't carve so well on harder snow.
Which is why many recent skis may have a rocker-ed tip and a small amount of camber / flat section under foot.

There are plenty of flat camber skis. The original K2 Coomba is an obvious one.
It can still be skied on hard-pack but has good powder performance (tips never sink).
snow report
Haggis_Trap, I think you're confusing camber with stiffness and elasticity.
snow conditions
^ Nope - its much easier for a ski material to quickly return to its original un-weighted shape if there is just a little bit of natural camber.

Stiffness is a measure of how much force is required to reverse that original camber.
snow report
A positively cambered ski will exert much more pressure at the tip and tail of the ski during a turn, therefore creating good grip along the whole length of the ski.

A flat ski will have far less grip at the tip/tail during a powerful turn, making it far easier to wash out the tips if you move too positively into the new turn or try to ride the tails too much on exit.

A reverse camber ski will create the float wanted in the powder but will be impossible to 'drive' on a medium to hard surface due to the inability to get the tip to engage and then flex the ski.

A ski with positive camber will generate much more energy through a turn by creating more grip and thus letting you flex it more from its neutral position, meaning when the ski is unweighted that energy is released and can be used to accelerate the skier forward. A flat or negatively cambered ski will however make it easier to skid/slide/smear/mince a turn because of the reduced downwards pressure at tip/tail there is less resistance there when trying to pivot the ski.
snow conditions
eclectic, Got your positive and reverse the wrong way around otherwise spot on.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Can we clear something up. A traditional ski is reverse cambered, one of the current range of cambered skis is just cambered, all this powder nonsense. Zero camber is a flat ski. Am I right, here?

Are you just being deliberately obtuse with the industry "standard" direction convention? wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I don't believe I do.
Traditional camber = Positive camber
Rocker = Reverse camber
snow report
eclectic, Not as far as my understanding goes.

Traditional Camber = Negative/Reverse Camber. The opposite to the camber required to use the ski. When a ski is positively cambered the ski is bent to the create an arc suitable for turning the ski on the desired surface.

Cambered/Rocker Skis. Ski is built with a Positive/Camber already in the desired direction for turning the ski on the chosen surface.

Neutral Camber. A Flat ski.

These were terms we used way back when all this technology first became commercial.
It is the most commonly confused terminology on the market.
You call it what you want, but when we weight test skis to determine flex pattern for pairing we refer to the positive camber values. This the resistance when the ski is pulled to optimum side cut at 100% resistance. Tip, Tail and Waist.

ie. + camber flex 49/62/53.

Little Angel
latest report
eclectic, I think the main problem is when people look at the new Camber skis they refer to them as being opposite or reverse to the traditional skis.
When really we refer to traditional skis as having a reverse camber, reverse to that which is desired when used.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I hear you, that all computes in my brain and I have been educated.

However.......the word on the street, in the marketing blurb and in industry magazine articles about the topic seems to disagree. We seem to have dropped the correct industry standard and started making our own definitions up.

Quote:
It is the most commonly confused terminology on the market.

That is for sure. Is it worth the minority trying to prevail with its original values and definitions when it, at best, merely complicates an already fairly perplexing topic??
ski holidays
eclectic, We don't sell skis anymore, many many reasons, some of which are these terms. I'm happy to except the definition of whom ever presents themselves to me, just as long as we know which way were bending from the start. I just remember being really confused when talking to people about Pontoons and Spatulas. I think it started there, when talking to our colleagues working for a product selection committee, they were confused, first saying how they were reversed, but not really listening to what was being said. Then they start telling others, cos it's cool to be out there testing stuff and being the first to talk about it. (Bollix) And getting it wrong, it's a simple way to explain to people that it's the reverse of normal, and i think that is what we're stuck with today. We just call them bent. (rocker/cambered) skis. seems to to fit the user profile!!!!! hahahahahahah

poo-poo my english is rubbish, help please.
snow report
Quote:
We just call them bent.

Solution found. Very Happy
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I really can't believe that a sign convention when talking about unweighted skis is a major confusing factor as its absolutely clear what is going on when you see a ski of any type of camber in the flesh. I can even understand you having some technical or personal performance issues with rockered skis, & I believe that Euros born and bred on burly race construction skis may never wish to adapt or compromise but do you seriously believe there is no merit in the idea as part of the spectrum of equipment and styles that make skiing a vibrant sport?

EDIT : Obviously I have been hook, line and sinkered here wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 25-08-10 13:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, sorry, sorry, yes, I think you're agreeing with what I thought I said higher up. And, it's a much smoother return as well.

eclectic, you (and SZK, I am afraid) seem to be confusing camber with torsional rigidity.
snow report
fatbob, Fag

under a new name, Torsional rigidity is lateral, across the waist or diagonally tip to tail. Muppet, go make me some sausages.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, no, actually it's torsional rigidity, as in resistant to torsion, torque - or twisting. And that's what keeps the tips and tails biting.

My sausages on the other hand, are lovely and floppy.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, has it worded best IMHO - flattening the natural camber of the ski will pre-stress it, giving the feeling of 'pop' as you un-weight. As you bend the ski against it's camber, it'll exhibit non-linear behaviour causing a progressive flex (ie 'progressively stiffening'). This is a function of the geometry rather than the materials (for small displacements at least). under a new name's nailed torsional rigidity. I think you can improve grip with greater longitudinal bending if you design anticlastic bending (caused by the interaction of longitudinally and torsionally oriented layers) into the ski by careful orientation of the glass fibre reinforcement. It causes lateral bending in the opposing direction (ie down and into the snow) to the longitudinal bending (ie up). I need a beer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy