Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI First Aid requirement

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the process of sorting a First Aid refresher as my current one is up.

Out of interest, what's the general view on what's required by BASI for this wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
david@mediacopy, Hold a current First Aid certificate issued by an organization recognised by the Health and Safety Executive. The course must be a minimum of two days long / 12 hours duration.

I've booked a BASP course at MK for an extortionate £132. 10 people @ £132 = £1,320. Not bad for 2 days work, £110 an hour. I suppose they'll justify that by travel costs, hotel for the night and room rental, but it's still expensive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, The one I'm looking at is £140 and fits with the criteria you mention. As you say, pretty expensive.

I only ask as I had an interesting reply from BASI when I double checked it with them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, Both St John Ambulance and the Red Cross offer these courses - you could ask them for a quote to attend at your local centre. Alternatively join either association and get your training included for nixes!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, I did the St John Activity 1st Aid course (I tried to get on to BASP but they were full). It was a bit cheaper (£99 IIRC) and I double-checked with the BASI office which confirmed it was suitable. The dullest two days of my life, but it ticked the box which was necessary to do at short notice. Next time I'll go with BASP and be a bit more organised about booking it despite the extra cost.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
First Aid courses. I find incredibly boring, why can't they spice them up a bit? It's hard to learn and remember the stuff if the course is tedious.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, what, get real bodies with life-threatening injuries? Skullie
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy, i did the st johns one and it was a good thing we were in a medical building as we had two cases of attempted suicide during the course due to extreme boredom. the BASP one is a million times better. actually on second thought probably a billion time better...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm probably going to do this one on the basis that it's close. http://www.firstaidacademy.co.uk/outdoor-remote-first-aid.html It will be interesting to see how it compares to BASP.

When I checked with BASI to see if it was OK, the response was "Thanks for your email, once you are qualified it is your responsibility to keep your First Aid up to date. We do not require to see a copy of your certificate, you should obviously check that your employer is happy with the level."
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last BASP First Aid course I did was in Val D'Isere - a really good course. The second day was spent on the mountain acting out an accident senarios, very useful. Booked another course with BASP in Sheffield for December 2009 but a week before it was due to take place they cancelled it due to the lack of interest. Only two people had booked it. Found another course with Interski for January 2010 but again it was cancelled with only a weeks' notice for the same reason - lack of interest. Panic setting in as I was due to work for Interski 19th of February; managed to get the last place on a St John's course at Milton Keynes early February not ideal as I live in Nottingham, but it served the purpose. I too checked with BASI and I received the same reply that they didn't need to see a copy. They also said without a current first aid certificate my BASI Liabilty Insurance would be invalid.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy, the requirement is as Spyderman says - valid certificate and a course which lasts 2 days / 12 hours.

BASI don't police it (i.e. ask to see your certificate every 3 years) but your licence is not valid without it, so you wouldn't be covered on the BASI liability insurance. I've had employers who've asked to see it before.

The BASP course is really good as it includes ski accident scenarios. Last time I did one with the British Red Cross as the dates worked for me, it was £100 I seem to recall.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, The clarification I've received from BASI differs from that slightly.

They suggest that the initial course should be as noted above, but if your First Aid provider should offer a 1 day refresher, and deems that refresher OK to keep your First Aid valid, then that is OK.

However it's not valid to a do an initial 2 day course with provider 'A' and then try and refresh with a 1 day course with provider 'B' three years later.

Of course it's probably a moot point unless any one knows a provider who offers 1 day refreshers for the initial 2 day course.

Personally I suspect it would probably be better to 1 day refreshers every 18 months (or 1 year) than a 2 day one after 3 years.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy, sorry yes that's right - 2 days the first time, and then the 1 day requalification of the same award. I don't personally know anyone who's done it that way recently though. I think BASP used to do a 1 day refresher of the 2 day course, but now they appear to ask you to attend the full course again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, My last BASP refresher was the first one to cover use of defibrillators, I'm not sure there would have been time for this if it had just been a 1 day course.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, that must be why. Is the defibrillator an official part of the course now? On mine it wasn't, but the trainer did it anyway as he said it was the part that could geuinely help us to save a life.
snow report
Spyderman, So do I, The RYA courses cost a similar amount as the ones above and I should update mine every 3 years to keep my Yachtmasters certificate valid, but the thought of spending approx £150.00 and spend an entire weekend being bored just puts me off.
snow conditions
I completed the 2 day outdoor first aid course with The First Academy and can thoroughly recommend it. Lot's of activity and 'Simon Says' type repetition through the 2 days to drill in the required actions, so minimal sitting around \ lecture time.

http://www.firstaidacademy.co.uk/outdoor-remote-first-aid.html
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, Good to hear, I booked onto this course last week.
latest report
I've been on 2 courses now by The First Aid Training Group (based in Devon) and they were good IMHO. They were organised by Gloucester Ski Slope so I'm not sure how you book onto courses directly but there's some information in the following PDF - FATG factsheet. Gavin, the guy who runs the courses, is quite a character and has a background in outdoors persuits and was a ski patroller for a number of years too so snowsports are well covered. The afternoon of the second day is spent dealing with practical scenarios outdoors which makes for a bit of fun too ... particularly when he starts splashing his fake blood around, I kid ye not! Laughing

IIRC the last refresher course I did, which was only about 6 weeks ago, cost me £90 which (knowing Gloucester!!!) I don't think was subsidised and was the full course price so seems a bit more reasonably priced than some mentioned above. Mind you my winter employers have just organised a course early next year and are subsidising two thirds of the cost for everyone doing it making it £30, now that 's what I call looking after your employees and treating them well - unfortunately I had to do my course before that so couldn't benefit from their generosity!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy