Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nera Folgarida - and how steep is steep?

Poster: A snowHead
Just been looking at Folgarida's skiing as described in Wayne's (rather good) web site.

Quote:
The adrenaline pumping black run known as Nera Folgarida which, with drops of over 60 degrees, will certainly get you down quickly.

60° Shocked Is that really so? To put that in context, the most formidable black piste I can think of is Alpe D'Huez's Tunnel - where I am told the opening slope is 38°. What lengths of Nera Folgarida are 60°? How on earth does it hold snow? How many punters ski on it?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-08-10 9:36; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
60% probably rather than degrees.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or an occasional roller where the backside of it is 60 degrees for about 5 metres.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
says 60% further down the page
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been here before:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62739

..towards the bottom of page 1 onwards
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
altis, ah. Missed or forgot that. So basically, it looks like Wayne is misleading his clients after his error was pointed out. Naughty.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not in the slightest.
Just because it has become the custom on ski slopes to incorrectly define gradients, it doesn't mean that when someone uses the correct terminology that they are misleading anyone. It’s dead simple really (although most website still don’t seem to understand it); the percentage drop of a slope is not the same as the angle of inclination. We use the correct terminology (%). If other sites wish to dumb down it’s nowt to do with us.

wink and on that point – I am out of this argument, unless we want to talk about at what angle we should start wearing a helmet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so...

what angle of slope should we put our helmets on? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne wrote:
We use the correct terminology.

You use the terms "degrees" and "percent" interchangeably on that page, which is incontrovertibly not correct.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne, as an engineer, I am well aware of the difference between gradients expressed in percentages and degrees. Your error was correctly pointed out to you by various sHs who are experienced skiers. [edit] rest of post removed in the interests of sHs harmony. Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 24-08-10 18:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, it does say "degrees". Not "percent".

Probably a typo of sorts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, Did you put achilles cat into a wheelie bin or something?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[Diplomatic hat on]Regardless of whether it is expressed in degrees or percent I think it wouldn't hurt for the units to be consistent as mentioned above - to do otherwise really smacks of a lack of attention to detail which, on a web page which looks professional and offers so much other useful information is unfortunate. Wayne, why don't you have a tidy up and, for the uninformed skiers out there, that are trying to make sense of your figures you could add a couple of diagrams to indicate the gradients that you are mentioning in the text so that all punters out there appreciate the difference? Very Happy [/Diplomatic hat off]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps what we need here is an informed Snowheads steepness scale similar to the skiing experience scale (bag of spanners, etc) that run some time ago. That would clear things up. On that scale perhaps a very flat green could be "one to p*ss yourself laughing at the snowboarders really struggling on". Not sure what Nera could be though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pretty sure the horrid black run in La Thuile said 72%. What is that in degrees? I wasn't much of a mathemetician I'm afraid, but since all the pistes in La Thuile were helpfully labelled with percentages of the steepest gradients, I decided that 65% was the level at which I decided no thanks.
snow report
There are some nice diagrams here: https://www.e-education.psu.edu/natureofgeoinfo/book/export/html/1593 at section 10 on the page.

I tend to think in terms of road slopes 1 in 4 is 25% so on a bit of graph paper for every 4 square travelled you move 1 square down, 1 in 5 is 20%, 1 in 6 is 16%, 1 in 2 is 50%, 1 in 1.66 is 60.2% - which is fairly steep, but as those diagrams show a 1 in 1 is only 45 degrees as measured with a protractor. A 60% slope is only around 34.4 degrees protractor angle as per Google.

Google confirms that a 60 degree slope is a 104.7% slope in other words it exceeds a 1 in 1 in terms of steepness it is around a 1 in 0.96 car slope

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-08-10 13:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
queen bodecia, Wikipedia gives a reasonable canter through this. In your case, if the slope is 72% then slope in degrees is actan .72 = 36°.
snow conditions
Thanks folks, I now know to avoid anything more than 65% or 32º.
snow report
That's a rather daft reductionist way of looking at the world, missus.
ski holidays
paulio, depending on what 'daft reductionist' means. Laughing

I know my limits Very Happy
latest report
Ok, OK, OK

Madeye-Smiley

We really do try and tell the truth both on our site and to the clients (even when they don't want to hear it - the coach has broken down, is better than leaveing people wondering where the bus is ....)

Anyway, with this in mind
I have now taken off all references to degrees, gradients, angles, etc, etc and used the extremely ambiguous (but less contentious) “very steep".

wink
ski holidays
Wayne, Good for you, I'm sure that will mean much more to the majority even if its not absolutely spot on for accuracy. N.B. Yes, I think I would want to know that the coach has broken down rather than be left wondering, so that is a good call too IMV snowHead
snow report
Wayne, keep using percent it's fine - the problem was (as teh OP quoted) in one place you used degrees instead of percent, you only had to change the one word.
ski holidays
How steep is 'very steep'? Is it steeper than 'ever so steep' or less steep than 'really steep'?
latest report
Wayne, Just use both notations, state degrees first because I think it's more easily understood by the majority of punters and then in brackets state the correct scientific/formal/engineering notation to satisfy everyone else.
snow conditions
PisteHead, as in 31° (60%) [fairly steep for a red at Les Deux Alpes]?
snow report
achilles, which one is that?
ski holidays
stupid comment removed at authors insistence

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 24-08-10 21:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear Wayne, it's quite clear that old adage of pleasing some of the people all of time etc.......certainly applies in this instance - you can only do your best Laughing
latest report
achilles wrote:
PisteHead, as in 31° (60%) [fairly steep for a red at Les Deux Alpes]?

Achilles, I had something like '31 degrees (60% gradient)' in mind. For science journals, work and road/rail signs I realise the correct notation is/maybe expected. However on a TO website I think more of the target audience will understand and be able to visualise a 31 degree slope more easily than a 60% gradient.
latest report
Colin B, I was thinking of Fee - must admit I am guessing, but I would have thought it was of that order.
snow conditions
What angle would you guestimate the blacks at deux alpes (eg Valentin, Gd Coiloury?
snow report
boardiac, the steepest part of Valentin (skiers left at the big snow canon) is 32 degrees.
latest report
Swirly, I think maybe the steepest black at LDA is at the side of Grand Couloir - though I sometimes feel I've earned my coffee after skiing the black down to La Fee. I must admit that I thought that Valentin at its steepest was a tad more than 31°. Have you put an inclinometer on it?
ski holidays
Amazing. A whole page and no-one has actually commented on the piste itself. Well let me put that right - it's a lot of fun! Short steep sections; shorter run-off breaks, and a great view of the valley floor from the entrance snowHead

(Come to think of it, you can see the view and then exit to the blue, which isn't shown on the piste map)
ski holidays
TallTone, Yes but is it Steep, Very steep, or Ever so steep, we need to confirnm the accuracy of Waynes website
Toofy Grin
latest report
TallTone, so sort of like the Lauberhorn but with different views?
ski holidays
Quote:

TallTone, Yes but is it Steep, Very steep, or Ever so steep, we need to confirnm the accuracy of Waynes website

and how does it compare to a red in LDA to validate achilles, view Toofy Grin
snow conditions
achilles, no but that came from a pisteur. I always thought the steepest run was Gours Bis (the short black that meets the flat blue to La Fee) it's quite a surprise that one as it's really flat then turns a corner and drops.

To go back to the original topic slightly 60% is steep, I think anything over 30 degrees (58% ish) can be justifiably called steep.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think anything over 30 degrees (58% ish) can be justifiably called steep.

Swirly, that isn't how things work. You have to relate it to something else like "twice as high as Big Ben", "the size of Wales" or "enough to fill 12 Olympic sized swimming pools". Using scientific notation to justify "steep", "very steep" or "downright dangerous" just won't cut it. I suggest a Head over Heels (HoH) scale.

Flat = No incident of HoH when you fall over
Steep = At least 1 HoH
Very Steep = At least 4 HoH
DD = don't stop until the bottom if you as much as catch an edge
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy