Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes at the beginning of December

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. Advice needed please. Am looking to go to Tignes in the first week of December. I tried to go in April, but was beaten by the ash cloud. My worry is snow at that time of year. Has anyone been in the last few years? Is the snow ok at the begining of December?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had a great week there on the 12th December last year, and will be back there at the same time this year. Conditions were great, but it was very very cold on a couple of days - minus 35 at the top of the glacier.

You really don't need to worry about snow - there will always be something to ski up there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
matt23, I've been the last 2 years in the 2nd week in December staying at Les Boisse. Plenty of snow both years skiing back to Les Boisse (although last year it was officially a closed piste).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been then too, always had a good time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been then, too. Plenty of snow, though not all open by any means. Can't remember what year it was; conditions will obviously vary a good deal from year to year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, has been pretty much all open for the past couple of years, albeit with localised closures because of too much snow/high winds
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been mid/early Dec to Tignes since 2003

2003 - very good
2004 - very very poor
2005 - ok but thin cover
2006 - good
2007 - excellent
2008 - excellent
2009 - went to Austria instead
2010 - TBC
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, notably Sunday 14th December 2008 when everything was closed due to too much snow!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a high resort so better than most at that time of year
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1st December 2009.

We should have been race training but we decided to play in the powder instead !

Skier - Emma Carrick-Anderson
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember that awesome day stewart woodward!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for this guys 5th or the 12th am hoping to go. Might be staying at Chalethotel Hauts de Tovière

Does anyone know what it's like or where it is in Tignes?

Thanks again
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its down in Tignes Le Lac - fairly large, fairly basic but its one of the first places to open for the season. Its not ski in / out though - unless the road is covered in snow!!!!!! But its fine for most stays where skiing / snowboarding is your main reason for going as opposed to staying in the chalet all day!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank for that
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Angus, I think you might be confusing the Hauts de Tovière with the other Mark Warner Chalethotel in Tignes, the Aiguille Percée, which is in Tignes Le Lac. The Hauts de Tovière is the one in Tignes Le Lavachet, with Scotty's Bar on the ground floor.

I stayed in the Hauts de Tovière in Jan 2007. The room I stayed in was ensuite, but fairly basic and fairly small for a twin. I didn't have any problems with noise from Scotty's bar but IIRC one or two of those in rooms directly above it did. The food was good and the service was friendly. The major plus for me was the 5 days ski hosting - they had groups for 'fast', 'intermediate' and 'leisurely intermediate', which you could swap between and opt in and out of. At that time the hotel was adults only outside the school holidays, but that's since changed. The Aiguille Percée averages better reviews on Tripadvisor, and is a bit more central and closer to more of the nightlife, but costs a bit more.
latest report
30th November 2009

snow report
matt23, let us know if you go w/c the 6th as there's a good few of us going that week too.
ski holidays
jonm, ok will do. Where you staying?
latest report
matt23, at the Melezes in Tignes Les Boisses, there's a thread here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64020
snow report
25th November 2008 Laughing Laughing Laughing

latest report
stewart woodward, any pictures from the first week of December 2006? wink Might have been a fair bit of green hillsides around Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
matt23, at the Melezes in Tignes Les Boisses,
Jon, I don't know Tignes at all, is that a long way from "Chalet Hotel Aigle ...just 100 metres (approx walk) from the nearest piste which leads to the Paquis and Chaudanne lifts in Tignes Le Lac" which is where I'll be staying? If so, shall have to find a watering hole between the two!Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hurtle, Lez Melezes is in Les Boisses which is a lower village and we will have to come to you; there is no watering hole between and it'll be a taxi ride back between us
snow report
holidayloverxx, oh dear, not sure I've budgeted for taxi rides. Still, where there's a will...an' all that. wink
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
1st December 2009.

That was an amazing day wasn't it! Here's another photo from the Grand Motte.

snow report
Hurtle,

Quote:

oh dear, not sure I've budgeted for taxi rides

Not a problem, I have - there's not a lot in Les Boisses so it's expected that the odd excursion into Tignes will happen. Do you like rum? wink
ski holidays
stewart woodward, rob@rar, nice photos! Hopefully we'll have a repeat this Dec...
ski holidays
jonm,
Quote:

Do you like rum?
No, but I'm confident of being able to find an acceptable substitute! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Don't be led astray, it wasn't a pretty sight the next morning last year.
ski holidays
Colin B, it was funny - a certain snowHead was still p!ssed at breakfast! Laughing
ski holidays
and several more didn't make breakfast from what I remember.
latest report
jonm wrote:
Colin B, it was funny - a certain snowHead was still p!ssed at breakfast! Laughing

I fell asleep at the lunch table IIRC wink

Hurtle - it's no problem for a few of us in a taxi
snow report
I mustn't get rat-arsed, I'm on a course (skiing course, not drinking course)!
snow conditions
Hurtle, me neither - I won't be forgiven a second time Embarassed
ski holidays
Hurtle, hlxx, ditto - I learned my lesson when I was too, ahem, ill, to get out of bed for one of my lessons on the EoSB. I was cross with myself for days after that.
snow report
jonm, Am going week of the 6th. Will send you message nearer the time about meeting up
snow conditions
matt23, nice one. Fingers crossed for good snow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wow, I'm really beginning to look forward to this. Very Happy
ski holidays
we've had a great time the last 2 years (and 3 for some) so this year shouldn't be any different Smile
ski holidays
Colin B, definitely Cool But I also remember that it was the coldest I've ever been in my life when out of the sun and in the wind on a couple of those long chairs last year Shocked Must take lots of layers...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy