Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best sim card for France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, since I'm heading off to France soon for three weeks, I've decided it's time to get a French sim card and avoid roaming charges. I've browsed offerings from Orange, SFR, Bouygues and Virgin but can't decide which sounds best. Before I attempt to discuss this with someone in French when I get there, does anyone have any recommendations?

I figure I'm looking for a pay-as-you-go (prépayé) sim card (I have an unlocked phone) with the best deal for texts and data. The awkward bit is data - all the websites seem to gloss over this. I would be looking to check emails and browse, maybe use Google maps, on a daily basis, but not download movies.

Thanks for any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
may be best to check out local coverage, for example around my places in paradiski sfr appears to have better coverage than orange or bougytel

you may be best to check mail etc somwhere thaqt offers wifi
l
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say over 50% of bars now offer free wifi in any half decent resort (it's a great way of pulling the punters in) and on that basis I'd recommend not bothering. Are you phoning home or places in resort? If your phoning home it does't get you a huge saving due to international rates applying. Phoning in resort obviously does, but you still have to make a good few calls to see the benefits!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The cheapest french sim for calls I could find was simyo (apparently hard to buy as a foreigner Sad) at €0.19/min - the site says "€ 5.12 / mo" for data - presumably per month?

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cours2physique.com%2Fforfait-mobile-ou-carte-prepayee.html
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/roaming/tariffs/gb/datapost/index_en.htm has a nice chart of UK roaming costs (on the right there's a link for sms and call prices too).

Could google maps be replaced by something offline?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
.Ro wrote:
"€ 5.12 / mo"[/url] for data - presumably per month?

More likely short for mégaoctet or Mb in English.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, thanks. that sounds more realistic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you. I've never heard of simyo. I'll check them out. If necessary, I should be able to mimic a French resident Smile
I seldom make calls on my cellphone, using it mainly for sms and internet.
I wasn't thinking of ski resorts in particular. This upcoming trip will be through Normandy and the Loire. Even if wifi is more available nowadays, I'd quite like the freedom to use the cellphone at an acceptable cost whenever I feel like it, just like in Britain.

I just discovered we leave on Wednesday, which could have been problematic since I had planned to pack on Thursday. I'll post my eventual choice of card in case it may be useful info for others.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used virgin France for the whole of last season. Cheaper than sfr and you get different options for topping up, cheaper texts, cheaper calls or a topup that lasts 3 months. If I remember correctly that is.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One word: Zero Forfait

but lets just keep this between ourselves, ok ? wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LeClerc had an option with no expiry on the mobile credit, and (I think) no charge to receive foreign calls, but I'm not sure what the data charges are.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, i'm looking for a sim with a data deal and calls in resort for Chamonix, has anyone got any suggestions?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mt, sounds like you're after the same deal as me (I was more interested in data and texts). After ploughing through the websites for Bouygues, Orange and SFR, I decided I liked Bouygues the best. However, each time I went round to a Bouygues store they were so busy I couldn't be bothered waiting.

In the end, I decided that the restrictions on PAYG credit were sufficiently severe in France that it wasn't really worth bothering about. A credit of €30 may be valid for 30 days only, whereas, with Virgin here, the credit seems to last forever (well, not exactly but there's no danger of it expiring before I use it). I never established if I would need to supply a French address or not. Also, the savings weren't as great as they might be, certainly not as good as domestic British rates compared to roaming rates.

Finally, since I generally have some internet access when I'm in France, I decided I could do without it on the phone. And, since most of my texts are to British numbers, there would really be no saving at all for texting.

So, for the time being at least, I decided the best option was to do nothing. If I change my mind in the future, I might still be tempted by Bouygues.

http://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/

http://www.orange.fr/

http://www.sfr.fr/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dmac442, there are other phone providers as well - I believe LeClerc and Lebara do credit which doesn't expire if unused.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roaming is not a bad option these days. All texts are no more than 10p or 11p, and with Vodafone data is charged at £1 per MB, much cheaper than the French SIM mentioned above! Calls are expensive but personally I manage to get by using mostly texts.

My contract with Orange has just finished so for this reason i'm going to transfer my number to a Vodafone PAYG SIM for the duration of the winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That said, I won't be data roaming much. I may use it to check emails/FB occasionally but will turn off pictures and def won't be using google maps.
snow report
Lizzard, I'd looked at Leclerc before but had forgotten about them. I see they allow credit to last a year, which is fine. But there is also a monthly charge of €1.50. So you could return after a few months and buy some credit, only to find it all used up by monthly charges that accrued while you had a zero balance. Lebara has better call rates than typical UK roaming rates but SMS may actually be more expensive (15¢, compared with Lebara UK's 10p roaming SMS).

musehead, You're right. Roaming isn't a bad option nowadays. Especially since browsing confusing, poorly designed phone company websites must be bad for the health. My conclusion from all this (and having previously been a Canadian cellphone customer) is that mobile phone service is one thing that Britain seems to do quite well.

Still, I would like to use Google Maps more when out of the country.
ski holidays
Watch out for data with any of the pay as you go providers in France. It's really expensive compared with the UK. You'd definitely be better off just using the free wifi wherever you can.

Happy holidays!
latest report
Skype? For calls and free wifi in bars.
ski holidays
I use a roaming sim card which I found on Time Dial's price comparison tool http://www.timedial.net/sim-cards-price-compare/ . You get a UK number, free incoming calls and cheap outgoing calls in Europe. They say on their site that they will be adding local sim cards soon which can be delivered before you travel.
snow conditions
Quote:

Skype? For calls and free wifi in bars.

And McDonalds
I am not sure that they will allow allow Skype protocols, but I have found in the UK that skype and a data conection costs less than using the mobile phone tarifs.
latest report
Have a look at this:

http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

Saying that I spent a season in France and got used to having no mobile internet, saying that we managed to score the code for our neighbours wifi so could surf the net at home (as you can imagine we had lots of friends 'visiting' to use it)
snow report
Hi all,

Last season i used a pay as you go sim card from LeFrenchMobile and Im deffenitly using it again this coming season!
I found the tariffs really ok and the coverage never failled.
As I wasnt using a smartphone I didnt use internet, but I read on their website they offer some data bundles with cheap rates for internet.
Overall, the service was great. hope it can be great for those of you looking for a mobile option in France too!
snow report
My iphone deal with Vodafone comes with 25mb of data a day in Europe. I make calls via Call2 to anywhere and the cost is pennies.
snow report
My iphone deal with Vodafone comes with 25mb of data a day in Europe. I make calls via Call2 to anywhere and the cost is pennies.
snow conditions
could also try lapostemobile, its a virtual operator using SFR network, just converted our french mobiles to 1 small contract and 2 PAYG's for less a month than my old sfr contract
snow conditions
In France for calls and texts I just use my roaming option. Quite often when you arrive you will get an info text from your provider offering a reduced rate for calls and texts for a fixed sum - often worth taking.

Val d'Isere has a WiFi network that covers most of the central area. You can access its info page for free and it gives the tariffs - access code cards are purchasable from the tourist office. I took out a fixed time one of 5hrs for €15 but it only decrements the time when in use. I d/l my emails and disconnected; wrote replies offline; re-connected and sent them and was surprised by how little I used each day even considering that I did the odd bit of web surfing. www.internet-ici.net - no English version.

Heavenly, USA and Whistler, Canada - most of the mountain lodges had free WiFi but in the latter Skype was being throttled. A couple of bar/restaurants in the town had Wifi where Skype did work (just!!).

BTW I'm with T-Mobile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy