Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners ski budget?

Poster: A snowHead
I have some friends who want to come skiing for the first time. They won't be wanting to goto tk max every week for bargains, so I am trying to work out a rough budget & shopping list for them, this is what I have so far. The bloke gets very hot and is going to be in xl or xxl stuff, the lady is the opposite gets cold and will be size s.

They are probably going to be skiing over Easter

Shell jacket £150 (warmer jacket for lady)
Trousers £100
Wicking underpants x6 £30
Wicking base t shirts x6 ( 3 merino wool for lady) £120
Wicking long sleeve t shirts (wool for lady) £120
Micro fleeces x3 £120
Googles £40
Sunglasses £59
Neck warmer £20
Hat £29
Ski socks x 6 £40

Which pretty quickly adds up!!

Any comments, additions or removals?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure about the ski socks x 6 - and coming to £40. Could they not get by with 3 pairs each - or perhaps that is the 6 - and wash out overnight. My recent purchase of ski socks in S&R sale worked out at something like £16 or £17 a pair.

And you would need to add gloves.

Hope they enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good spot on the gloves, not sure they will want to wash socks, hence why I went for 6 pairs......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought smartwool socks in the S&R sale for £10 a pai. Might be worth giving them a ring to see if they have any left. 3 pairs of ski socks would be fine. Do they not already have sunglasses?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Complete and utter overkill!

Send them along to Decathlon and they'll get most of that for 200 quid.

Although seriously, 6 of everything? Puzzled I'd consider myself pretty "experienced" - my experience also lends itself to using a washing machine/hand washing!

Unless you're going to Alberta in January you won't need all that crap - why can't they just layer with normal clothes? If they like it, then they can invest. In fact, I see they're going at Easter - a time when traditionally people ski in t-shirts? Or bikinis for the Australians (both sexes).

Edited to include snipe about Australians.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alexandra, layering with normal clothes, you mean cotton t shirts and the like, maybe ok for the kids, but the bloke gets hit & sweaty very quickly so I'd not recommend normal layers to him??? As I said they ain't the kind of people to do washing on a holiday.

I take it you've not been at Easter time then, whilst it can be lovely and warm it can also be cold and dumping fresh snow.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 22-08-10 11:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, If they are first timers it may be worth going with lower end product from one of the skiwarehouses. like

http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Mens_Budget_Ski_Wear.html who do dare2B, five etc at bargin basement prices.

they also do essentials packs with most of what you need in there from £75-£105

http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Essential_Packs.html

It depends what they are looking for in budget and performance terms and what they are likely to be doing skiing wise. Also the need to be fashionable may be important Toofy Grin

We are notoriously frugal in packing and have been known to turn up with less baggage for a family of four than some people take for themselves so bear that in mind when reading below.

If they are first timers i would just wear normal undies, no need for anything fancy and you probably dont need 3 mid layer fleeces, if you have good merino underneath you may well find that you dont actually want a mid layer at all, (where are you going and what month and how long for?) I agree with Pamski, 2-3 pairs of ski socks is more than enough. A neck warmer is a nice to have luxury but probably not essential and most people will have some sunglasses somewhere so probably dont need buying specially.

I would also say that 3 sets of merino base layers for a week would be more than plenty and probably just to take 2 as one of the beauties of merino is that it does not get smelly.. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

As for the list they may want their own HELMET Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Now i do remember a thread where people posted their own pre holiday checklists, im sure someone with better memory than me will find it on forum search and post it shortly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you got them to check their current wardrobe? Maybe they already have, say, an adequate outer jacket, hat and sunglasses. Or maybe not, if they're not used to cold weather. Anyway, wouldn't a cheap tuque do instead of a £29 hat? If they get to the resort and decide to rent helmets, they may resent being made to buy an expensive hat.

Also, I agree with Pamski. I think all the "x 6" items could be reduced to "x 2" if you persuade them to carry a small tube of detergent.

Undergloves would be useful too, especially since the man gets hot. I'd need new gloves every day without them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Undergloves would be useful too

Definitely I second that, as its so much quicker to get your gloves dry.

Quote:

persuade them to carry a small tube of detergent

we take:

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/browse/bathroom/travelproof-ultimate-travelwash

as its shampoo/showergel/laundry detergent and saves weight and bulk.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dmac442 wrote:
Have you got them to check their current wardrobe? Maybe they already have, say, an adequate outer jacket, hat and sunglasses. Or maybe not.

Yeh this is worst case, the hope is they have some of this stuff.....but they aren't outdoor folk at all....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or even, can they not ask friends to lend them stuff? i'd gladly lend my "old" kit to ppl who are starting out cos i know how expensive it can be. pm me if the lady is interested (even if it's snowboarding kit, it'll do for the waterproofness/breathability). or are they the kind of ppl who want to shell out and wear their own stuff?

if they want to get their own stuff, decathlon are awesome for they basic wintersports clothing. i think they get their stock in at the end of september onwards and if they're only going at easter, maybe they can hold out and get some early sale bargains elsewhere and reduced-price-but-higher-rated stuff at decathlon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does nobody remember how hot you get as a beginner? I remember turning up on the first morning with the equivalent of all that on and being roasting after about 30 mins. Also I get not wanting to do washing on holiday but I just put my stuff in the bottom of the shower while I'm in it then give it a quick rinse and hang up.

If it's really importnat for them to look great then they will have to spend a bit of money to get nice kit, however most people seem to make do for their first holiday at least. You shouldn't have to go to TK Maxx every week to get something decent. If you go once, and aren't that fussy, you should be able to get a nice plain, although not highly fashionable, outfit.

Can you not mention how bad people look if they have all the gear and no idea? You make them sound a little uptight with a list of thengs they won't do. Maybe they are more easy going than you think and if you tell them that most people don't buy all new kit for their first holiday and have a couple of base layers which they wash they will be happy to go along with that.

When I go for 2 weeks I have 3 pairs of socks, 2-3 base layers and 2 fleeces. I only wear the fleece when it's cold so it never gets sweaty and the merino is washed in the shower every couple of days. I also don't know why you would want to spend £60 on a pair of sunglasses and £30 on a hat, I bought a merino neck warmer for £20 so surely you can get something much cheaper?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lynseyf wrote:
I just put my stuff in the bottom of the shower while I'm in it then give it a quick rinse and hang up.

Hahah, seconded, and was just about to suggest it. 2 x socks, 2 x fancy wicking skidders and 2 x base layer t's. Quick stamp n' rinse in the shower and dry during the day. Everyone's a winner.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm inclined to agree with others/suggest that they don't spend a huge amount of money getting kitted out for the first time they are going because they might not even like it yet. I think they should make do as best they can for now and look at the stuff in Decathlon etc and similar shops mentioned above and then if they like it, fine go ahead and invest in more expensive stuff later if they so desire. I don't think they need to spend £29 on a hat.

It could be that they are more than happy to spend nigh on a grand each on kitting themselves up and then selling it on Ebay if they don't like it. Some people are like that and don't mind about the waste/loss on what they buy.

Argos Additions used to do ski stuff if I remember correctly, they are just called Additions now.

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/sports-leisure/skiwear/e/b/2972/s/bestsellers,0.end?trail=2780-2972&cm_re=Sports+Zonepage-_-Header_LHN_Category-_-Skiwear
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I must have spent no more than £200 on gear for my first ski holiday - and I went for a fortnight!
About an hour into our first lesson the slope was littered with all kinds of clothing as poeple shed layers.
I always take two pairs of gloves. If the first pair gets wet in the morning it's lovely to put on a nice dry pair for the afternoon!
snow report
Halve all those numbers, you'll be about right.

We've got our gear from all kinds of places, but just send them to one of the skiwear4less stores - they have everything cheap. For beginners, they will do fine with £50 jackets and £30 trousers - I still do now and it kept me plenty warm enough at minus 35 on a glacier not doing much. Remember they will be on the lower slopes, they will be physically working hard, skiing is tough and you get hot for the first week or so, and they can layer with stuff they've already got.

Extra socks is sensible, again they will get hot when skiing so expect these to be pretty sweaty, but washing a pair of socks isn't exactly stressful - fill a sink with water and a bit of soap, wash them, hang them on towel rail or radiator, use the other pair for the day, they will be dry by the time you get home. That said, I just wear mine for 2 days a pair, they get very smelly after 2 days but just have a plastic bag ready to chuck them in - nobody is going around smelling your feet on the slopes Smile

The other place for dirt cheap stuff, not a one-stop shop, but certainly enough for beginners and they have several sizes, is www.sportdirect.com
snow conditions
Monium, I think you mean www.sportsdirect.com , you missed an "s" in the middle
ski holidays
you'll get a decent enough jacket for £50, bottoms £40

Millets usually have some reasonably priced gear in store from around September, or online

I started last year and have been on 4 trips (2 at Easter time)

I spent under £100 on my outer wear and probably same again for baselayers and socks

for my first trip I ignored everyone else on my trips and took far too much, no i only take 2 x baselayers and 2 pairs socks,
My baselayers are not merino and dry so quick,again i use the shower to give them a quick wash

If your friend gets hot, I very much doubt he'll wear any more than a baselayer and his jacket,

Just had a quick look online and you're not too far from a couple of outlet villages , Castleford and York, some good value in places like Trespass
latest report
kitenski, greg, for goodness's sake. I've been skiing for 46 years and have never yet bought wicking underpants....

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

(could that be where I'm going wrong?)
ski holidays
kitenski, I don't think you need 6 x socks or 6 x underwear, 3 x should be ample and just wash out in the evening. £29 for a hat seems expensive, you could almost get a helmet for that wink

No gloves ? I would have 2 pairs of gloves though, and they would be gortex preferrably.

TK Maxx has supplied me with most of my gear, but I can understand why some wouldn't like to shop there, but I love it!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 22-08-10 15:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Twenty quid for a bloody neckwarmer, are you mad? You'll put them off for life.

Thermals from M&S, fleeces and socks from Decathlon, bit of handwashing during the week. You're trying to encourage these people, not convince them that skiing is just for Russian oligarchs. Laughing
ski holidays
pam w sweaty bum, possibly wink

I wear skins on the top and bottom, and thermals over the top if really cold.
latest report
I wear a pair of basic ordinary smallish knickers and, if I'm feeling specially professional, some half price merino boy shorts over the top. Wearing the latter without the former? I don't think so. I'd need too many pairs and I could only afford one! Especially at Easter, you don't need to be togged up ready to tackle the north face of the Eiger in a blizzard.
ski holidays
pam w, do you think it's appropriate for a respectable old lady like yourself to be revealing details of her underwear to a bunch of random strangers on the internet? What a shameless hussy. Shocked
snow conditions
pam w, Im looking forward to being of an age where "wicking underpants" are a necessity Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Lizzard, it's my only outlet. Be kind. Little Angel
snow report
kitenski, Send them to Lidls (get them to sign up for the advertising emails so they don't miss the ski stuff) for ski socks and sports thermals/longjohns/wicking underwear - socks around £6 a pair - really good technically made ones, and base layers about £10 an item all are excellent for a beginner. I use them and think they are well up to the job - they will want about 3 sets of underlayers for a week, but could also wash in a sink and dry on the rads to save cash. They might want fresh socks each day. A serviceable jacket should be obtaininable from TKMAXX for around £50.
ski holidays
Also remember getting really hot when learning to ski, all the falling down and getting up etc.,
even now going in March for last 5 years we have not used thermal underwear at all ,
so probably not necessary at all for beginners at Easter.
Great idea to borrow whatever they can for first time, then decide for themselves what they realy need.
Enjoy!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With all that gear it's the baggage allowance you need to factor in!

7 pair's of pants 2 pair's of socks and 1 of everything else. wink
snow report
Quote:
They are probably going to be skiing over Easter
Have you noticed how late Easter is next year? I'm sure there will be no need for microfleeces or any mid-layer, especially with an insulated jacket. As a lady, I would take - and did take to the last EoSB - three thin merino, long-sleeved tops as my only inner layer, though most days wished I had brought a tank-top to strip down to for sunbathing at lunchtime. In the unlikely event that the weather is cold, simply wear two of the tops at once. Great advantage of merino, as somebody has said, is that it doesn't smell: it's possible to circulate - and air properly between wearings - three over a week without any need for washing them. I wear my merino tops for walking, so although expensive, they've been a good investment.
No need for a neck warmer.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
.......Wicking base t shirts x6 ( 3 merino wool for lady).....

T's not required, just get Decathlon long wicking version for under £10 - they're superb.
latest report
Hurtle, Easter next year....some resorts may be closed already by then Shocked

Lots of sensible beginner advise here from a Yank Laughing
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=516774
snow report
Waaaaaaaaay OTT!! Cheap jackets and sallopettes from Millets or somewhere = £30/40 each, just wear normal t shirts under them (or if you really have to M&S thermals - why the hell would they NEED merino?!), bog standard fleece over that but I doubt you'll need it at Easter (and yes I have skied at Easter lol), you don't need a fresh pair of socks each day, what's with the £69 sunglasses too - I'm sure they'll already have some, and even if they don't you can get a decent pair for £20... If they've got lots of money to spare far enough, but they'll look like 'all the gear no idea' planks with your list!
snow report
Hmm I go to Les Deux Alpes every Easter. This year it wasn't particularly early but it snowed about 6 days out of the 9 I was there. Even when it's brighter and warmer that's not necessarily the case at 3000m+.

I'd go for the half decent but reasonably priced base/mid layers from somewhere like Decathlon, Mountain Warehouse do some decent stuff too.
snow conditions
Tresspass factory outlet in Castleford and other locations, or Tog 24, plus as others have said Decathlon. Washing, mines done when I have a shower, I'm being green by having multiple uses for shower gel,my base layer and socks get trampled on while I wash, rinse them out and they are dry by the next day, oh don't P in the shower Very Happy
snow report
pam w, there is a story behind the underpants which isn't for a public internet forum, I will explain over a glass of wine Wink

Interesting those that say a neck warmer isn't necessary, I can and have skied in easter with a t shirt, shell & found a neck warmer invaluable for skiing in a snow storm.

I checked with some other beginners I took a few years ago and they thought their neck warmers were fantastic!

Why they need merino is the lady really feels the cold, and will reuse merino when she works on the market during winter
ski holidays
Not entirely sure why people need base layers, fleeces AND jackets. They will literally melt! I normally ski in March when it's generally a bit less cold and have a simple base layer t-shirt under my jacket. Even last season in La Thuile when it was -18º on two of the days only my feet were cold. I'd imagine at Easter it will be warmer still. Jacket and base layers is all they need. I agree with the people recommending Decathlon too. My best friend who is going skiing for the first time in January, has kitted herself out entirely in end of season stock at Decathlon back in April for less than £100, that's jacket, salopettes, gloves & base layers. Sorted.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Not entirely sure why people need base layers, fleeces AND jackets.

Well I am a hot person, I have a shell jacket and over easter have worn base t, long sleeve t, micro fleece and jacket, and can assure you I have not melted, other days I have just worn a t shirt and jacket.
latest report
kitenski, you must look like a Michelin man/woman (not sure of your gender!) in all that get-up!
snow report
queen bodecia, not at all, that is the beauty of layering... Have you seen a thin microfleece, I am talking a few mm thick maximum

This thread has been quite an eye opener, I think my definition of fleece and layers is very different to other folks....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy