Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North West England to Bourg with 3 young kids- fly or drive??

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips??

Week before Feb half term (for most) flights alone to Geneva would be more than £1000 then ££££ for a transfer or car hire. So thinking about driving- possibly via Hull - Zeebruge.

But kids still quite small- youngest will be just off 2 years old (and others will be 9 and 6) - but this would save a lot of cash- but perhaps cost us our sanity (if only briefly).

We have a big enough car (Ford S-max) and would get a roof box for skis - but the issue is will the kids/us cope?

Anyone care to share their experiences- would you do it again?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ed123, Depends on your kids really. I took my daughter on really long car journeys to France from the age of 2 really. From the age of 6 we regularly travelled to the south of France and the Alps with just her and me in the car. If yours aren't used to it I suppose it could be a more of a problem, and I guess sibling squabbles when cooped up so long too could be an issue, only you will know really
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ed123, if you (and OH?) can cope with driving through the night that would probably be the best way - the kids should then sleep. You'd need to think carefully about timing from the traffic point of view, too. The roads will be very busy. 12 - 27 February is Paris zone holidays. Do you mean Bourg St Maurice? (there are millions of bourgs). If travelling on a Saturday I would aim to be at your accommodation, finished with engines, by early on Saturday morning. But, of course, you probably won't be allowed into your accommodation till 4 pm if it's standard French arrangement. Which could be a bit of a sod.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the holiday is planned for Sunday 13th- which would mean a Saturday night crossing from Hull then driving on Sunday- from about 8am- does this make things any better? Return also on a Sunday- arriving early in Hull Monday morning.

Yes would be with Mrs Ed, but ferries from Hull preclude driving through the night as they arrive am.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, driving down on a Sunday should make things a lot easier as the French traffic will be 24 hours ahead of you. It would be about 9 hours solid driving at the speed limit. So, allowing for stops, with three kids (which ain't that quick - I just took 3 grandchildren up the road to buy a box of raspberries and 3 buns and it took forever just to gather up all the raincoats and shoes. I've probably just lost my touch) I'd say you'd need to allow 12 hours. If it's raining, a little more (lower speed limit) and if it's snowing...... or foggy...... anybody's guess.

It's doable if your kids are good in the car. Some people swear by DVDs. Some travel sickness medication is very drowsy inducing; I'd have a word with your friendly local GP if I were you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have driven and flown and to be honest driving with kids suited us better. We can stop whenever we wanted, we tended to use audio books and DVDs and DS and that seemed to make it ok,but we always do an over night stop along the way.
It depends on how well your kids travel and what the traffic will be like
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ed123, when I looked last year Hull ferries were very expensive, we ended up using the tunnel from Leeds, left leeds 6:30am, midday tunnel, stopped over on the french/german border about 5pmish for 50 euros, kids were 7 and 10 and it was fine....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ed123, Our golden rule for driving over with the kids, if you stop for petrol everyone goes to the loo. If you stop to go to the loo everyone goes to the loo and top up with petrol. Very Happy
Seperate stops for each leads to one hell of a long journey.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, if the car could run on wee you'd have no trouble though Laughing

We drove with our kids from 3 months and they are fine - audio books keep them entertained - can't do DVDs as they get car sick. Have done it in a day but usually have overnight stop to break the journey. Personally never drive overnight as a) it kills me and b) the kids are now older and won't always sleep.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think driving overnight is one of those things that some people can do, and others can't. Just depends on your metabolism. My dad was fine with it, when we were kids, and my mum not. Led to a lot of arguments. I remember after one very long drive to Calais (rained off an Austrian campsite in a monsoon) we landed at Dover about 10 pm and he was determined to drive home - Cardiff - 250 miles and no motorways. She put her foot down and said it wasn't safe, he'd already driven through two red lights (he denied it.....) and she and her three precious children were going to get a B & B. He said it was a ridiculous waste of money. She said he could drive home if he wanted, and we'd come on the train next day, even more ridiculous waste of money. In the end he slept in the car, just to prove his point.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, must have been a bit of a stiff trip home the next morning... Skullie
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing wrote:
ed123, Our golden rule for driving over with the kids, if you stop for petrol everyone goes to the loo. If you stop to go to the loo everyone goes to the loo and top up with petrol. Very Happy
Seperate stops for each leads to one hell of a long journey.

It's the same rule when you've got women in the car.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, You've met my wife and daughters Shocked
Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, on a trip to Spain from Nottingham, we once made it as far as Derby before having to stop. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ed123, have driven to France 7 times or so, plus once to Austria from Glasgow with 3 kids - ranging from new born to 12. Have done Dover Calais, Hull Zeebrugge and Rotterdam and most recently Caen Portsmouth. I usually sit around 90mph on the motorways but allow for 50 miles per hour to take account of stops/jams etc - it's usually a pretty accurate way to judge times. We have never had issues with the drive but our preffered option is the overnight ferry, especially cause we're driving from Scotland. The Hull crossing is not cheap though and will cost you around £90 (from memory) each way if you want dinner and breakfast (both excellent by the way).
If I had the choice of driving to save a few hundered pounds over flying, I would fly every time for a ski trip. Have you priced the ferry crossing yet, French tolls, cost of roof box etc....
Surely it would be better to fly and get train or transfer to Bourg?
latest report
Travelling from Leeds to our place near BSM we usually fly Sleazy Jet out of Manchester to Geneva and then hire a car - about a 2 hr drive if you stay within the speed limit. I note that for Feb half-term Jet2 out have under-cut Easy. We have also used the Hull-Zebrugge crossing - it is a very similar distance drive as from Calais. Yes it costs more, but you save on needing an hotel stop and the dreadful drive down to Dover. Once on the French motorways life is easy (if costly including the tolls). Our kids are now grown, but we did many long trips through France when they were smaller and found that a portable DVD player in the back was one of the greatest inventions ever. In summary: Hull-Zebrugge is a good option, but quite costly, the drive is easy once you get to the French motorways, the bit through Belgium is quite horrid with a lot of heavy commercial traffic. If driving we would go out on the Hull ferry and come via Calais (saves leaving BSM before the first sparrow has coughed).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy