Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie question about powder skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently purchased a winter home in Utah. It is in the valley that houses Snowbasin (the site of the SLC Olympic Downhill and other speed events) and Powder Mountain, which as its name implies, is a mecca for deep powder skiing.

I have always been an eastern US skier, so my skis were always quick side to side with razor sharp edges. I've gone to a softer all-mountain ski for the fluffy Utah snow. I've muddled through the deep power on them, but will now probably pick up a pair of fat skis for the exclusive powder days.

The advice I need is; what kind of length should I look for. I'm 5' 10" & 175lbs. I ski my all-mountain skis @ 170cm.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
altajoe, wow, winter home in Utah. Enjoy!

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions shortly, but I predict that nearly everyone is going to recommend that you GO LONG Smile
Width is surely a big issue (no sniggering at the back) - what sort of width were you thinking of? What width have your recent skis been?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can we come to stay?

If I was you if I was looking for an exclusive powder ski I wouldn't compromise and would go for something 185-190 ish with at least substantial tip rocker and maybe tail rocker too depending on your tastes when you demo. Rocker means effective edge on hard pack is much reduced so you can have the edge length of a short slalom ski in a long length. As Snowbasin has a few commuter cat tracks I'd go for slight regular or flat camber under foot rather than full reverse camber.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
what he says ^^^^^ Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Again, what fatbob said.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan -

I have no idea what width to look for. I am currently on 98/70/107. I figured that I'd try to demo based on length and then see what width works best.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
110 minimum but go as fat as you can bear when you try them - its Utah don't sell yourself short by what works in Europe, in Sierra cement or on the East coast.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fatbob,

I'd stay on my all-mountain skis for Snowbasin, precisely for the reason you mentioned. I'd imagine that I'd only use the faties at PowMow on dump days (and of course the days following a dump where I'll still find miles of untracked) wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altajoe, No no no - you'd definitely be missing out by not using a fat ski at snowbasin too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Again, with the snow they/you (are supposed) to get over there, a dedicated pow ski should get plenty of use, even in only a few inches they'll still be more fun. Probs at least 110, personally I'd probably go for more than that for a dedicated pow ski even here in Yurp.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altajoe, it's not just width but also shape and as the guys said above you really want to demo some reverse camber skis. I'm about the same size as you and skied on Dynastar XXL's (110mm? Wide traditional shape) in Alta a couple of years ago. Nice skis as they are traditional shape can't compete with reverse camber in powder. I'm now on full reverse 185 Volkl Kuros (132mm wide) and they are superb. Plenty of choices out there (search fat skis on here for more ideas) but don't be afraid of width. And don't be surprised when your off piste ability jumps a couple of notches ahead and you find you aren't interested in getting back on your all mountains whatever the conditions!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the input. I can't wait to get out there this winter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy