Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who remains a member of the Ski Club of GB?

Poster: A snowHead
I've retained my membership of the Ski Club since the Club's forum was shut to non-members in February 2004, and intend to continue with it.

Have you, or have you resigned?

Have you joined the Club since February 2004?

Do you believe that Britain should have a national ski club? If so, what should it be doing?

What membership price and package would encourage you to join, if you haven't joined?

[That's enough questions - ed.]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still a member.

I was not bothered about the forum particularly. I did not really use it.

I have no strong views on Britain and a national ski club. SCGB already exists and I value the services provided.

Two years for the price of one, if you join in resort, is a fantastic offer. If I was a real cheapskate, I would cancel and rejoin every two years.

The magazine and the discounts are fine - but what I really value is the repping service.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgot to say that I joined after the HQ moved to Wimbledon.

I would have used the bar in the place up in town had it been open.

Wimbledon is handy for me but the place is rarely open.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We attempted to resign then forgot to cancel the DD, DD now cancelled so as of this August we will no longer be members.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am a member as a single skier I use the reps in resort and feel I get value for money if they didn't offer that service I would not stay a member
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm pretty much as Latchigo, except that I reguarly use the Club forum. I have also found the holidays good - great introduction to ski touring for a week this year. Didn't belong to the old forum, or this one, until the Club site went MO.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm still a member though I'm tempted to quit mainly due to another member and rep's attitude, which does not really say a lot for the club Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still a member.

I greatly value the Repping service - this winter wouldn't have been so much fun without it - and the discounts we have got off holidays have more than repaid the cost of membership.

Four of my friends joined last autumn, principally for discounts, but two of them have used the Repping service as well and liked it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm still a member. Not sure why. I think that Gerry and his friend (can't remember the name) have an appalling attitude.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is it the reps do? The only one I've ever seen seemed a bit of a prat, and put me off a bit.

Strangely for me, this is a serious question. Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, see here. I guess any one individual from a large group can be a prat - but usually I find the reps group is a great way to get together with other members, and have a really good time skiing. Especially as I normally go as a singleton or with just one friend, so I am not automatically otherwise part of a larger group. Actually, that may change next season, but I still value the reps.
D G Orf, it'd be a shame if just a couple of individuals put you off.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick Zotov, thanks, I should have looked there before I asked really Embarassed and I wouldn't judge any group by one individual.

So they're a resort guide/leader. I could see that would be handy if you were on your own.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm still a member too!!! Purely for the discounts, saved ourselves a fortune this year with both buying new skis with 10% EB discount voucher plus discounts of 2 hols. Don't use the repping service. Otherwise I'm afraid those two are enough to put anyone off continuing their membership, but I think they're succeeding in driving away any voices of dissent - just gone and had a look, boy are they rude!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm. Intriguing that the Club forum continues to be of interest here, whereas snowheads is not really discussed there - except to provide links to interesting threads.
If one's fair, there has been the odd offensive comment in this forum. It's even got close to flame wars a couple of times. All dealt with snowheads-style - a combination of some moderator intervention, but more the good sense and humour of members.
If anything, I've thought the club's site even more laid back than this one. But, true, there has been the odd offensive comment. The reaction has tended to be an occasional mild dig from other members, more often the simple ignoring of the offending comments. Very occasionally, the moderator has intervened, perhaps prompted by the feedback link shown on every
thread page. I've thought that sensible - at the end of the days words are only words.
However, I see there is a worry, and I shall put up a thread in the cub forum to see what others think. Best discussed there - as much as anything because all the members of the club forum do not post here. And it keeps our moderator in the loop.
[edit] Have started club thread here. [/edit]

OT Ooo 1000 posts snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a member too, but the discounts I got in Whistler were available without SCGB membership (in the price I paid in the shop was less than I was quoted via the link on the SCGB website. The only decent discount I've had this year was my airport parking. We tried to meet up with the rep, but there was no-one there.
ski holidays
Congratulations on your Millenium Nick Zotov!

By my recollection, pre MO day, the SCGB and its forum were indeed discussed on its own forum.
These days, they tend to be discussed here.

I don't think there's anything strange about that. It was clear that the SKGB administration was uncomfortable with some of the discussion which took place and although not officially declared, it's not inconceiveable that this played a role in their decission to exclude most of their forum's users - indeed, many people seem to believe this to be the case. After such a stark discouragement, it's hardly surprising the discussions have taken place elsewhere since.

I would hope that there would be little need to discuss snowHeads on what remains of the SCGB forum since such discussion is welcome here. Then again - it was a bit cheeky of some snowPixie to start a discussion on the ownership of snowHeads while I was away for the week wasn't it - shall I shut down snowHeads as a response? Laughing Or maybe I'll just sell u all to the cheesiest tour-op I can find for a six figure sum Twisted Evil Yeah right! Might get a fiver for you if I'm lucky! NehNeh £000005 there: a six figure sum!

Warning: on topic
I am not currently a member of the SCGB. While I was using their forum, I was strongly drawn towards taking membership. Not so much the closure itself but the style of the closure and the nature of the communication around it, rather put me off.
latest report
Hi U! Welcome back to your site Very Happy I did wonder what you'd think bout eveybody's thoughts on flogging it off Laughing
latest report
u brain,
Welcome back, While the cats away the little mice will play eh! wink

Back on topic
I was a member before the forums got going and let the membership lapse becuase I could see no benefit.
I would like to be able to 'see' the current forum, If I could I might like it and join again (exactly what I did here) BUT of course I can't so I wont Smile
ski holidays
As the aforementioned

snowPixie (that's me on the right)
I feel it would only be right to apologise to u brain for having the audacity to discuss the ownership of his spaceship while he was on the planet VT.
I find his statement "I am not currently a member of the SCGB" tantalising and intriguing. Brains are always welcome in any organisation.
snow report
Tantalising and intriguing eh?

I don't rule out membership. After all, it's a fairly large organisation as far as UK skiing is concerned and although not the dominant force it once was, it still has considerable clout around the UK ski industry. There are all sorts of technical reasons why one might need to become a member. Indeed many of their policies appear specifically engineered to this end.

However, as the thing stands, the character of the club as it appears to me, would put me off choosing to belong were there not some distinct practicality to address.

Does that help?... u naughty snowPixie!
latest report
I cancelled my direct debit the day after MO day. My membership expired at the end of December, and I doubt it will be renewed.
ski holidays
May I suggest a different tactic?
David Goldsmith has suggested on the SCGB forum that the goodies available to entice new members is more than the price of membership. Why doesn't every snowHead join the club, get the goodies, and promptly cancel their direct debit. The next year they can rejoin and get all next year's goodies as well. Meantime you will have a year's access to the Members Only section of the SCGB website (and so the forum), all the discounts, the magazine, all for effectively nothing. Wodja think?
snow report
Hey u brain, don't I get congratulated for passing six millennia ??? And I thought I'd been promised promotion from 'freerider' at five!
snow conditions
I hasten to point out that Jonpim's suggested wheeze is his own, not endorsed by yours truly and not the point I was getting at when I referred to the new members' incentives!

It has to be said that there's 'no such thing as a free Salomon bag' (or lunch) and I imagine that their cost is covered from the general funds of the Club, not only the revenues derived from new members. If you're joining the Club you're extremely welcome, but please respect its members' interests and roots - it was founded by a group of venerable Edwardian gentlemen who had little time for gimmicks, but a lot of time for adventure and communication!

(They would therefore have loved the adventure of a public internet forum.)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 15-04-05 13:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
u brain wrote:
....I don't rule out membership. ...

Most excellent, U, Very Happy See you on the 20th?
latest report
Nick Zotov, Laughing they'll have to try harder than that I'm afraid. Hanging out with the likes of Geraldine and her pals in Wimbledon isn't quite the most alluring aspect of the club to me.
ski holidays
This pig they're roasting down there - what's its name?
snow report
I joined for two years and enjoyed discounts off holidays, ski hire and a buy one get one free bag offer from EB.

I have now cancelled, I found I could get a 10% discount off ski hire purely by asking, and didn't book a holiday this year with a company that gave me any SCGB discount.

When I was pricing up avalanche gear I negotiated a much better deal than any of the SCGB deals. When I pointed this out to the SCGB their response was not helpful, IMHO.

regards,

greg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Making a club relevant, making it vital, making it popular, is obviously the challenge.

Discount offers and free bags are obviously great carrots but they don't necessarily win people over forever. As U brain suggests, the 'character' and maybe 'connection' of the organisation is the key to building it and consolidating it. In essence, snowHeads is a case study in building a community - and its desires - from the grass roots. We have to see where it goes. Maybe the key is not being too prescriptive.

Obviously the Ski Club was built from nothing in 1903 and was very successful in its growth. Skiing was enjoyed by a relatively well-to-do sector of British society until the early 1960s, when flights and holidays became cheaper and more generally marketed. Until that time the social cohesiveness of the Ski Club had been easy to achieve, because one predominant social group had enjoyed skiing.

The common denominators in 21st century skiing are more elusive. But I think these discussion forums are about the only places the clues will be found.
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
This pig they're roasting down there - what's its name?

I'd wondered about that, too Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Best pigs on lower slopes
ski holidays
Nick Zotov,
Quote:

See you on the 20th?

Do you think the SCGB could cope with the old, new, alternative and lurkers of the Nightshifts Laughing
ski holidays
Linds wrote:
..Do you think the SCGB could cope with the old, new, alternative and lurkers of the Nightshifts Laughing

Hope so, I feel a party coming on Very Happy . I'm already worried about my head on the 21st Shocked
ski holidays
So is the pig
latest report
David Goldsmith, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I feel a party coming on .

Think I better find somewhere to stay rolling eyes
snow report
Party? Pinky Who mentioned party?? Eh oh! Blue
latest report
Michelle, Your not a member are you?
snow report
Member Puzzled

Do they require membership to attend their stuff... is that why I haven't been able to get into their site for over a year now then Puzzled

wink
ski holidays
D G Orf, bit drastic, no? Every group contains a few tosseurs as they say in the 3V (or maybe they don't).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy