Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whaddya Need , Watchya Getting

Poster: A snowHead
Just spent the afternoon with Jon at the Piste Office collecting my new Ranger CL's. Happy bunny! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopefully nothing, but time will tell.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
never summer wrote:

That is a very poor attitude rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

186cm feels so short.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
adithorp wrote:
never summer wrote:

That is a very poor attitude rolling eyes

Ha! With 4 pairs of skis and two large suitcases of ski clothes, gloves, socks, etc. I think I should pause a little Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha! With 4 pairs of skis and two large suitcases of ski clothes, gloves, socks, etc. I think I should pause a little Smile[/quote]

Man up for gods sake, 4 pairs doesn't even touch the sides - when should you ever pause buying ski stuff ppfffttt Rule5!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

4 pairs doesn't even touch the sides

Too many pairs causes correct ski anxiety - always wondering if you should have taken a different pair out Very Happy
I've just bought two more rucsacs so I Cant talk though rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rucsacs so I Cant talk though rolling eyes[/quote]

Rucsacs are vital too for holding things you can always do without Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Ha! With 4 pairs of skis and two large suitcases of ski clothes, gloves, socks, etc. I think I should pause a little Smile

Man up for gods sake, 4 pairs doesn't even touch the sides - when should you ever pause buying ski stuff ppfffttt Rule5![/quote]

When you run out of storage Smile I must admit I have been looking at Cham 97 but only as a replacement of another pair of skis, but this can wait till sales start in January at least.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@never summer, buy a bigger shed!! Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PaulC1984, Thanks paul, just realized why i need a new shed and now i know what type of design requirements i have Smile
(If its full of skis and maybe a workbench i guess i can call it a tuning shack ? Must be some cool french phrase for that).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Had a trip up to Nottingham on Thursday. Picked up some new toys to add to the collection which I'm hoping will be a lot of fun all over the mountain. Couldn't rate the tuning tuition highly enough too. Gained a load of useful insight into how skis work and looking forward to being able to keep on top of the family skis now. Anyone thinking of servicing their own should deffo go and see spyderjon
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@lampygirl, no fair, ive been looking at a set of freestyle skis, and the Ones are on the list Sad - You bloody tease Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tried them on a whim at the ski test at Hemel, after going to look at 'proper' all mountain skis. Thought I was settled on Cham97s, Jon suggested trying these and they just had so much 'pop'. Definitely try them out. I'm not into big jumps but I do dicking about on natural 'jumps' on the sides of pistes etc. So much fun!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@lampygirl, I dont really need a 7th set of skis... or maybe I do Happy

How much did they set you back?
snow report
@PaulC1984, I think n+1... Or just chuck the oldest pair!

About £450ish with the bindings (vist412), though with the tuning afternoon and a few bits and bobs I wanted to complete the tuning kit we already have, I think the trip cost me about £600. I try to just hand over the card and hope it's all OK.
latest report
horizon wrote:
gorilla wrote:
In the event that the Grizzlycorn topsheet did not find its way into Horizon's shopping basket, I'm in for £20 to upgrade him. Anyone else?

Have you guys seen the bases? Shocked

I might just have to take you up on your offer...

I want a set of Grizzly Corns so badly. I'm tempted to email Scott and see if he will make me a Grizzly Goat on the new 189 Billy Goat.
ski holidays
I love me a ski swap!

I got the lad (9 yrs) the following:

- K2 Juvys (twintips)
- Fischer SL World Cups
- XC skis

bindings already mounted.

all 1 season old, for a total of...wait for it...£80.

Laughing
snow report
And next weekend, I'll get some custom liners done at ProFeet (boots/liners, etc are the only thing I will ever pay full price for)
snow report
Want: Some low light lenses (but can make do with old google). Ski boots for my son.

Got this year: Giro Onset goggles for use with my Giro Edit helmet. Last years Line SFBs 184. Small Ortovox Slope 18 rucksack. Pieps DSP sport beacon, probe and shovel set. For my son K2 Shreditor 85s.

Buying ski stuff is addictive.
snow report
I need…everything. Doing a full season this year and all I've got from previous ski trips are a cheap jacket and pants. Think I'm gonna get my upper base layers and some merinos from Uniqlo, as well as a few scarves and things like that.

Not quite sure where to get lower base layers at a good price, same with socks, I wasn't hugely happy with the stuff I'd gotten from Decathlon in the past as I had to get rid of them afterwards. Will probably buy a helmet, goggles and gloves there though, as I'm living in France and it's quite nearby…

Figure I'll probably need avalanche gear if I'm there for the season, so gonna get that online wherever is cheapest…

Going to buy a pair of boots in resort and then maybe try and get a seasonal ski rental so I can change around stuff as my level advances (only three weeks under my belt so far). Does anyone know how much a seasonal rental generally costs?

It's gonna be an expensive few weeks. Sad
latest report
Need nothing, though I find myself constantly looking at buying a pair of Marker F10 Tour bindings for my old Scott Aztecs and booking myself on a ski touring weekend. Never done any touring before but really want to have a go.
snow conditions
Getting rid of (with luck, see the classifieds if interested wink ) a pile of Toastertalbot's grown out of skis, boots and jackets. She has boots, will probably need a new jacket as I think the next one to grow into is still too big but think the selection of 125cm to 135cm skis we have will last her this winter, better get those serviced!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 16-11-15 16:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Not bought any major ski gear for a few years, decided to splash out for this winter:

Black Diamond Halo 28 Jetforce backpack

Volkl Katana V-Werks 184cm + Marker F10 Tour bindings + skins
latest report
Quote:

Black Diamond Halo 28 Jetforce backpack

Volkl Katana V-Werks 184cm + Marker F10 Tour bindings + skins

mmmm nice
ski holidays
Just arrived - Ortovox 3+ transceiver with Shovel and Probe. Good price and service from @livetoski (AKA Tim at Snow Shepherd). Excited by the nice big parcel arriving I got all the stuff out the box, assembled shovel and probe, then powered up the transceiver for a practice. Took a minute to realise that there is absolutely nothing useful you can do with one transceiver in isolation. Embarassed

Still trying to make my mind up on which rucksack to buy to carry this kit in. Once I've done that I'll be all ready for the Off-Piste Bash.
snow conditions
I have absolutely no need for one of these and I'm not really convinced by one piece suits but I keep being tempted by this - think its the colour and the space suit type thing....

http://www.sportpursuit.com/mens-crusader-gtx-flightsuit-grass-green
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
I have absolutely no need for one of these and I'm not really convinced by one piece suits but I keep being tempted by this - think its the colour and the space suit type thing....

http://www.sportpursuit.com/mens-crusader-gtx-flightsuit-grass-green

Will change you life. Go For it!

Ps you need one of these underneath: http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/596893
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes you are right. Thing is I can see my wife's eye-roll already.
ski holidays
Mountain Haddock wrote:
Quote:

Need - new goggles

Fall line mag is giving these away with this years sub. I thought they had gone but just had a mailing asking me to re-subscribe. Falliner are you out there to illuminate?

Are they? I subscribed the other day and it was a boot bag and some socks bundled in.

Found myself a cheapy set of spare Scott goggles on 'a popular auction site' for less than £15. Am hoping that they give a slightly different definition to flat light, but not holding my breath. Would love to buy armfuls of other stuff but a) I'm not experienced enough to want to trash my own skis yet b) I can't afford it.

Edit: Have only just noticed that I was replying to something posted 5 years ago Embarassed The perils of not paying attention when you're looking at sH on your phone.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 17-11-15 19:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@jedster, You'll be by far the coolest dude in the bar after a days skiing as well... (unless theres someone in a Norrøna Onesie there)
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
yes you are right. Thing is I can see my wife's eye-roll already.

She's got some funky new skis right ? Very Happy What could possibly go wrong!

I'm in one of these http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/haglofs-vassi-suit-dynamite---sun-man/629226/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=878115&country=uk&gclid=CjwKEAiAmqayBRDLgsfGiMmkxT0SJADHFUhP1kVUhJ2Veci1PRd1Kps68p4HeiMh9hXG8mvMjAf1_hoCATjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds (not at that price though ! more like yours !) Great bit of kit...
snow report
Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced goggles for flat light? £50ish Max? Ive not a clue what i'm looking for! Or im wondering whether it would be better to wait And buy in resort! I can't remember what the prices were like in Livigno last year though!
snow report
BierKelly wrote:
Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced goggles for flat light? £50ish Max? Ive not a clue what i'm looking for! Or im wondering whether it would be better to wait And buy in resort! I can't remember what the prices were like in Livigno last year though!

Lord youve stumped me there.

Ive found that most goggles come with a flat light lense, however they arent a true flat light lense

The best lense for really flat light are yellow lenses (at least they suit me best) - every day is a sunny day when your looking through a yellow lense Happy

Of course the minute you start buying lenses, it gets expensive Sad on top of the goggles youve just bought
snow conditions
Just got a helmet with integrated visor. After 3 days skiing i like it. I gather it may fall short on very snowy/windy days but then you can detach visor and go with regulargoggles.
http://www.stefankaelin.com/ski-helmets-on-sale/cp-camurai-cr-blue-smoke-chrome/
ski holidays
@BierKelly, you'd probably be best trying on to make sure they fit with your helmet, but you risk that resort prices may be higher. If you'd rather buy beforehand, https://www.igero.com/ have loads under £50. Start a thread in the equipment section if you want details on specific tints for a particular brand - someone will have an opinion wink
ski holidays
Thanks everyone I haven't got a helmet yet either, I hired last year so it sounds like im probably better going and trying goggles and helmet together. Ive got some borrowed goggles that are ok for now so will wait and see what the prices are like in Livigno! we're very limited for skiing shops in preston!!
snow report
Need: Nothing

Want: A pair of Salomon X-Race carvers in 170cm. The best race-figured piste ski I have ever tried - an absolute joy on the hard stuff.

Going to be disciplined this year as am now up to 5 pairs of skis, several sets of clothes etc. A bit too much.

Have bought some WD Preachers/Marker Jesters for Lady F for Christmas. Self interest, really - was bored of her (a much better skier than me) moaning about how following me in powder is hard work. No excuses now!
snow report

Praxis Backcountry 180 purchased in the summer, combined with Dynafit Beast 14 courtesy of spyderjon. It has only taken me a month to figure out how to post this.

Am very excited to try them; I only hope I am worthy. I definitely don't NEED anything else.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 1-12-15 19:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@HammondR, nice! What's the white plate under the toes?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy