Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Me Likey Race Boots

Poster: A snowHead
the trusty 4 year old langes died and i needed some new boots. Got talked into super stiff Race boots and was dreading it as everyone seems to get tortured for a couple months breaking em in.

a few hours at CEM's on saturday and all seemed well and 5 hours skiing on monday they are Sweeeet..... really notice the difference cranking em over and getting better edges, my ankle is really held in tight and even at a 150 stiffness i can flex em okay in the fridge (not looking forward to -20) only downside is the knees hurt cause i had to ski hard Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, ????? 150kn, BOOOM
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
YES! I'm not alone then, mine were like some kind of weird torture experience for the first month, then they broke me in! They are only 130 leptons of flex though mind, I'l get my coat Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

BOOOM

goes my knees ?? Laughing I am a fat b@stard at 100kg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, how are they for walking around on snow or doing constant poma laps? Basically the un-glamourous teaching stuff? I guess you don't have to hike up the Hemel slope very often?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, only been an afternoon so far but so good. i do hike up ocassionally for exercise when the lift stops... dont do too many beginners mostly good rec skiers and minis now so actually have to be able to demo some higher end skills (i was rubbish at ankle rolls in the new boots monday) Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cool. I guess I didn't do much either last season and will do very little this season, but I do have to walk around resort a bit and occasionally go pick a yard sale up... Reading CEM (and probably SZKs) posts about race boots being leagues above recreational boots made me sad since I spent so much time getting into boots that didn't hate my feet Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC, Race boots don't hate feet, just a fitting issue, but they need most often alot of work, unless they are oversized. That said, if the boot is top quality plastic, can't say 150kn is where i'd put anyone unless they are racing or David Murdoch. Needs alot of research into plastic types to be sure 150 or other wise will be true at the majority of temperatures.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
DaveC, ...(i was rubbish at ankle rolls in the new boots monday) Very Happy

Rubbish instructor demo!!! (That is the excuse I am going with anyway... Very Happy)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Touchguru, I love criticising their demos. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC, SMALLZOOKEEPER, have to say the initial fit was much better than my old langes... I have very narrow feet 29.0 and A width so having a tight fit was a good thing, i little bit of heating up and judicious padding helped a couple of hot spots and i may need a little grinding as i have heel spurs but they do seem to offer up better control already... The langes were 130 and i overflexed them very easily, could be they were shagged but i definitely have gotten stronger with my ankles... Only thing i kinda miss was i had full cork superfeet footbeds and my ball of foot and toes seemed to have more purchase for lack of a better word. the new boots Col used an instaprint cause the volume was lower and although the arch is well supported and I dont get any heel lift but i miss the toe hold...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Touchguru, you werent bad at those, i sucked... Hurtle, i feel a high performance day coming up on the 13th, have you checked out our new rota of topics for performance clinics? sept is one legged skiing... i can picture the videos now Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And fully justified Hurtle...Well it certainly couldn't be OUR fault! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret,
Quote:

sept is one legged skiing.
Yep, I saw that and trembled. Skullie
latest report
getting full cork into a plug shell??? ain't gonna happen, seen bootfitters try but you end up with ain't worth the money or work. You're a fat guy with thin feet, nice.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Touchguru, you werent bad at those, i sucked...

skimottaret, to be fair, you weren't as bad as you think you were. Just seemed harder due to the stiffness of your swanky new boots! Smile
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yup thats what colin said so we needed new ones, i am sure i will get used to the instaprints but was the only slight downside so far.... built for speed me, fat with skinny feet Laughing
snow report
Quote:

or David Murdoch

yeah, but I'm weird, innit-simples
snow report
skimottaret, not looking forward to -20? Don't worry you won't even be able to even get them on!! Definitely keep in a well warmed footwell on the road up the hill! Great fun though! Especially on your first turns after being used to comfy slippers previously Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

you won't even be able to even get them on

You will have to learn (if you're not ski in/out) how to drive in them. I have to run the heater full blast for 5 minutes or so before I can remove mine. Just as well I have an automatic...
snow report
barry, i have a pair of thermic heaters that go with me everywhere, mainly to dry but does make putting on easy in the morning...good point about getting em on in the warmth, the cat tracks will be getting a work out in tignes instead of the trainers wink

under a new name, have to say never have driven with boots on, ever been pulled when wearing boots?
ski holidays
Hurtle, just remembered i am on hols on the 13th, i am sure Rob will be much more gentle on you than i would have been. I will be having a word though......
snow report
This is what I use, HEAD Heated Boot Bag. Very Happy

http://www.head.com/ski/accessories.php?region=eu&tag=pro_series
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

under a new name ever been pulled when wearing boots?

Well there was this one time when I had 6 hot chalet minxes competing for my attention.......
snow report
fatbob, Laughing were you driving at the time? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret, no and as I can drive perfectly well with them on I don't see the problem. I don't think driving with inappropriate footwear is in the highway code?
snow conditions
under a new name, just was picturing a local cop giving you the evil eye as you stepped out of the car in your boots Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
getting full cork into a plug shell??? ain't gonna happen, seen bootfitters try but you end up with ain't worth the money or work. You're a fat guy with thin feet, nice.

bit of an update... got around 30 days on these now and they were giving me problems. i really had to crank the buckles up on em and felt that after they had packed out that i had too much volume and was getting some heel lift, i started developing a bone spur and getting sore knees. Sad

someone i know who knows a bit about feet suggested perhaps foot bed wasnt man enough for the job and perhaps collapsing. as an experiment i put my old heavy duty cork footbeds in.. took a few days to be able to do up the boots but huge improvement, knee pain and pronation gone! They would have never fit initially but so far so good...
snow report
ooo i has a pair of zip fit gara liners in stock which would like to be bought for a pair of 29 race boots Little Angel
ski holidays
CEM, only if you can get cork footbeds into em !! the instaprints really didnt work out for me...... i still need to get a few more days on this setup but zip fits may be in my future.

i would definitely like to try em out.. does a bit of time in the shop allow you to tell anything useful in terms of fit? can you try out different levels of volume within the same boot at your place without hurting the zipfit liner?
not sure if the ultra low volume is right for me. are the atomics i have considered "plug" boots or "modified plug" or ???
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
DaveC, Race boots don't hate feet, just a fitting issue, but they need most often alot of work, unless they are oversized. That said, if the boot is top quality plastic, can't say 150kn is where i'd put anyone unless they are racing or David Murdoch. Needs alot of research into plastic types to be sure 150 or other wise will be true at the majority of temperatures.

Sorry, missed this - yeah, that's what I meant really - I took a lot of fitting and messing around just to get a well fitting recreational boot, so what I meant was I assume getting into any new pair of boots is going to suck. Perhaps a race boot even more so, though.
snow conditions
I have Zip-Fit Gara & Full Cork footbeds in my Atomic CS130. Footbed had to be thinned out to gain some volume, as did the baseboard. Initially I really struggled to get the boots done up, took about a week's use before they settled down from being agony into the most comfortable ski boots I've ever had. Fit is pretty much perfect, even for my ultra sensitive feet. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

i may need a little grinding as i have heel spurs

skimottaret, I really do think that might just be taking your devotion to your job a bit too seriously.
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, thtsa good to know.. Rob keeps telling me zipfits are the way to go... CEM keeps telling me they are the way to go.... gotta stop thinking with my wallet and let my feet do the thinking !
ski holidays
skimottaret, Zipfits are wonderful, get some (from CEM) Very Happy
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
I have Zip-Fit Gara & Full Cork footbeds in my Atomic CS130. Footbed had to be thinned out to gain some volume, as did the baseboard. Initially I really struggled to get the boots done up, took about a week's use before they settled down from being agony into the most comfortable ski boots I've ever had. Fit is pretty much perfect, even for my ultra sensitive feet. Very Happy

there is a difference here....your boots are the CS 98mm last Scotts are thwe Ti 95mm last ...

getting the kork in there will be a big struggle with the zip fit...worth a try as it has been done, but the instaprint will give more support in the firmer liner or we can firm up the posting a bit
snow report
CEM wrote:

getting the kork in there will be a big struggle with the zip fit...worth a try as it has been done

No pain, no gain. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CEM, my right knee is now pain free after putting the cork back in and i would be loath to go back to the instaprints... it would be good to have a go at firming up the instaprints as they are currently not being used and if they work out in my atomics i am thinking i could use the atomic liners in my old langes as a back up pair of boots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy