Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in La Clusaz - celebrations and ski school?

Poster: A snowHead
We'll be in La Clusaz for Xmas (20th-27th Dec). It's the first time we'll have been away on Xmas day itself and I was just wondering how the day itself will be.
Will it be really quiet with lots of people doing family stuff or will there be loads going on?
Also, are restaurants likely to be closed or open (and presumably busy)?

Finally, anyone know anything about the ski schools there? - the accommodation we're in has links to 'SNO-acadamie'. To date we've used ESF group lessons wherever we've been in France for the kids. However, this time, I think we'll get private lessons for the kids, the idea being that (roughly speaking) they'll spend less time in more focussed lessons for the same money. Any views?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Higs, Christmas Day is normally just like any other day on the slopes - everything open, ski lessons as usual. Can't help you with ski lessons in La Clusaz but private lessons might be a good way to go. You might not have much choice on timings, though, at Christmas (our place might not be typical, but at Christmas last year private lessons were only available during middle of the day. I booked in October to get the instructors I wanted for my daughter in law and grand-daughter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Higs - as Pam w says, business pretty much as usual on the slopes on Christmas Day. We were in Le Grand Bornand (linked by skibus to La Clusaz) last Christmas - the French tend to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve with big family meals, church, parades etc. There was lots going on during the evening including torchlight descents by the instructors, music, free vin chaud with a final appearance by Pere Noel in a sleigh throwing out showers of sweets etc for everyone to pick up. All very nice. We had booked a restaurant in advance for Christmas night which I'm glad we did as it was a very atmospheric place but mostly busy with the English. If you want to be sure of finding somewhere good to eat I would say have a look on the website or search the forum for other snowheads recommendations of good places to eat in La Clusaz (I know there have been some threads in the past) and book in advance. At least you know it's done then!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Higs La Clusaz is a great place to ski and has a large number of restaurants in town. The advice regarding booking is a good idea if you are a large group but most places can always fit in a couple of extra diners.

Although I've never been to La Clusaz at Christmas all other resorts I've been to for the last 18 years have, as pam w and loatie state, operate as normal right through the Christmas period. Indeed, the only way you know it's Christmas Day is the mass of Brits whinging on about where they can get "traditional" Christmas dinner on the slopes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the only way you know it's Christmas Day is the mass of Brits whinging

Hopefully La Clusaz won't be full of wingeing Brits. And, if you're lucky, not too many ghastly Santa hats, either.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, IME during school holiday periods private lessons are often only offered during the break between morning and afternoon ski school sessions ie 12-2 Sunday to Friday. Think I'm right in saying that Christmas Day falls on a Saturday this year so that might be an option.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, we know Le Grand Bornand pretty well but haven't been to La Clusaz since 'the time before children'. Back then we used to stay near Annecy and ski somewhere different every day so only ever went to La Clusaz for the day. I remember it being an attractive place with some nice restaurants around a square near a church. Will ask here for restaurant recommendations closer to the time.

re private lessons... I think (from what little I've managed to find on the web) that sno-acadamie are primarily a private lessons focussed company who will only do group lessons during the hols. So I would expect that they offer private lessons throughout - I could be wrong though. I'll drop them a.

No santa hats here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks interesting: http://www.rhonealpes-tourisme.com/prestations-touristiques/fetes-et-manifestations/Haute-Savoie/les-pestacles-du-pere-noel-en-sitraEVE379884.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Higs wrote:
...Will ask here for restaurant recommendations closer to the time.

Well we're off on Monday so if anyone's got any restaurant recommendations, they'd be much appreciated.
Interested in nice places to go for lunch on the slopes and also somewhere nice, releaxed and kid-friendly to eat one evening.

TIA,
Higs
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Higs, hope you managed to get away! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes we got away thanks.
A 3 hour delay wasn't pleasant at the time (when we'd got up at am) but is now largely forgotten.

Because of where we're staying, reliance on the ski bus and tired kids we've not eaten out in the evenings and almost certainly won't tomorrow or Sunday but we've been taking lunch seriously. Our favourite place so far is 'La Ferme' very close to the piste close to town - a simple menu of pizza and Savoyarde stuff (meat 'n'cheese) but very friendly and tasty.

re lessons:
me and Mrs Higs had a a couple of lessons from Xavier at ESI - he was pretty good and he's definitely given us a couple of things to work on.
the kids did 4 mornings with Renaud from ESF - they loved him, they had fun and their skiing's moved on (which is all you can ask for really)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Higs, very glad you got away and that you are having a good time, serious lunches are the way to go Toofy Grin Merry Christmas snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah wrote:
Higs, ...serious lunches are the way to go Toofy Grin Merry Christmas snowHead

Indeed.
Happy to recommend L'Outa in town too - very nice friendly place with a comprehensive menu (all the 'standards' and more - I had ballotine du lapin (pdj)). Everything we had was very nice. Everything we saw going to other tables looked good too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Clusaz will be very pretty, it's a beautiful resort with some great skiing, if you want some more advice I wrote a review on La Clusaz and feel free to have a read to gain any tips...

Hope you enjoy your stay

Jim
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sadly our stay is all but behind us now - leaving noon tomorrow.
On the subject of serious lunching we went to Chez Fonfon at Le Croix Fry today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
We've had a cracking family Xmas here and will come back.
snow report
Sadly our stay is all but behind us now - leaving noon tomorrow.
On the subject of serious lunching we went to Chez Fonfon at Le Croix Fry today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
We've had a cracking family Xmas here and will come back.
snow conditions
HIGS, there will be christmas events all week. there is an article on the rhone alps tourism site that will help. we are also in the village christmas week. aravis challenge for lessons, very good, but usually busy. L'outa is a good call for kids and food. Food on the whole excellent. Apart from Balme most mountain restaurants good; try la bercail and telemark on l'etaille (sp?). if you have a car try chalet du lac at confin. have fun! Very Happy
latest report
chrisward, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Useful first post - but he went last year. wink
snow conditions
Yes, we went last year and had a really good time.

Some photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150141377857656.337429.592507655&type=1&l=4bf8500f56

We're going to AdH for Xmas this year but may look and see if we can swing a trip to either La CLusaz or LGB at Easter.
ski holidays
Plenty of good eateries in La Clusaz (like L'Ouson previously listed and le Saint-Joseph, la Scierie). For a treat you can eat at Chez Marie-Ange (was started by Marie-Ange Veyrat, sister of Marc Veyrat but now run by Eric Guelpa) at Chalets-hôtel de la Croix-Fry (not far from la Clusaz). Just Look-up the name Marc Veyrat, they were pretty good in that family...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy