Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to charge for advertising???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some advice . . .

A large reputable travel company has enquired about paying for a text link to their site either from our home pages or internal pages, and they want to know how much we charge.

I've never sold this before so I don't know how much to say, and I wondered if any kind snowHead's knew where I should start?? I've got three sites so I'd want to offer a price for one and a price for all three.

Another question I have is would this be classed as "paid links" and therefore frowned upon by Google et al or would it be classed as "advertising"?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi snowsteve, if you own the sites and the domains then you can charge/do what you want within the bounds of the law - Google has no say in it.

A good model to go for is pay per click, i.e. you charge the advertiser each time someone clicks their link. You can track this easily if you use some sort of analytics package. If you're not already using analytics, try Google Analytics, it's simple to set up and use and is free - you just need to put tracking tags on all of your pages).

To get an idea of what to charge per click, have a look at Google's own pay per click rates (I think they call it AdWords).

Disclaimer: I don't work for Google!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowsteve, I asked a similar question the other week but didn't get an answer. We get a lot of similar requests, and although our site will automatically place Ads, they don't get a 'direct' link so these guys won't go for it.

It follows that they are doing it for SEO \ Google ranking reasons hence the theory that Google may not like it, which I suspect will be true if you have too many - however many that will be. Because of that I've been reluctant to take them unless they pay handsomely, but so far they have been reluctant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowsteve, have a look on j2ski.com, they do offer some advertising packages which might give you a ballpark figure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tips guys and gals. I think they're after a set figure rather than pay per click which is what stumped me. I'll head over to j2ski to see what's happening over there.

Cheers

PS. If anyone else has any ideas, the more the merrier!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, SEO is a bit of a dark art but yes, most search engines frown on multiple iterations of a link within the same page, which affects the ranking of the site being linked to, rather than the site on which the link is hosted. Also, if the link has no relation to the content of the page on which it is hosted, that affects the ranking of the site hosting the page.

But that's the extent of my knowledge and I imagine that sites set up just to host links to increase rankings of the linked site/s will, themselves, be indexed unfavourably.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zero-G,
Quote:
I imagine that sites set up just to host links to increase rankings of the linked site/s will, themselves, be indexed unfavourably.

Interestingly one of the sites consisted entirely of ads sourced from google and the like. No original content as far as I can tell. I'd love to know what revenue it's generating if they are prepared to pay for links.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use www.adbeans.com for my site. Their site has a valuation facility on it as well which will give you an idea of what ads on your site will be worth if you go with them. I find them excellent, but as others have said it's a free market so if you go it alone you can charge whatever your market will accept.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowsteve, if it helps snow-forecast were charging about £250 for 6 months banner advertising on the resort pages of a particular resort... I am guessing that although it's restricted to a specific resort the pages impressions would still be pretty high on that site
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see your pr is 2, that's a pretty low value pr for link referals. If you have just one link off your home page to this company then it is worth something but if you link to more than one external source off this page then the value to this t/o is halved and so on and so forth. google won't frowmn upon this link at all. If it is content relevant then it's good for your potential client but this bears no relevance to your site. You're not going to get the same price as say snow-forecast get. I would think that this company will pay you around £100.00 pa for a link from your homepage if you guarantee you will not link to anyone else from your homepage.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get the to pay as much as they are willing to... They approached you after all! Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've sent them a figure going off what you've said so I guess it's a waiting game to see if they go for it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy