Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Opinions Required Mid Fattish

Poster: A snowHead
I hesitate to ask in case I am making some sort of faux pas but..

I am an intermediate skier but am definitely progressing and now manage to ski roughly 4 weeks a year, mostly in the 4V. Probably spend 50/50 off/on, though despite being fairly adventurous I would have to describe most off the off as 'in bounds'. Whilst I have been skiing at this rate for the last couple of years I have rented all sorts of skis and have come to the conclusion for my skiing 75-80 underfoot is the way forward for the time being as I have found mid 80's seriously compromising my limited carving skills - even pistey skis like the Lords.

I also don't think you really know a ski till you own it, I have skied most of the following but not for long enough to make any definitive decision, anybody want to chip in?

Volkl AC 30
Head Peak 78
K2 Recon
Movement Yaka
Salomon Tornado Ti

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
only got experience of the recon. however, if i was going to get a recon, i'd get the Xplorer... which is what i did. there really is no difference between how quickly i could get from edge to edge on the recon compared with the xplorer. the recon may have been slightly stiffer, but (at 84mm underfoot) the xplorer is more fun and made taking my first steps off piste a joy compared to my attempts on narrower skis. It's also just as lively and if not faster and more stable on piste than the recon.

I'll be selling my Xplorers soon to help fund my new venture into even wider skis Very Happy

do note, K2 have dropped both the Xplorer and Recon from their line ups this season with new AMP range taking over.

What height, weight are you?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dynastar Sultan 85, no question.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not that width really has anything to do with carving, but there we are.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly wrote:
only got experience of the recon. however, if i was going to get a recon, i'd get the Xplorer... which is what i did. there really is no difference between how quickly i could get from edge to edge on the recon compared with the xplorer. the recon may have been slightly stiffer, but (at 84mm underfoot) the xplorer is more fun and made taking my first steps off piste a joy compared to my attempts on narrower skis. It's also just as lively and if not faster and more stable on piste than the recon.

I'll be selling my Xplorers soon to help fund my new venture into even wider skis Very Happy

do note, K2 have dropped both the Xplorer and Recon from their line ups this season with new AMP range taking over.

What height, weight are you?

5ft 8 1/2 (very important 1/2) hovering about 11 1/2 stone.

Your comments are noted re K2 (cheers) - I am looking to pick up last seasons models!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pm sent
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fifespud,
Quote:

have come to the conclusion for my skiing 75-80 underfoot is the way forward for the time being as I have found mid 80's seriously compromising my limited carving skills
That's the logic which impelled me, as an intermediate skier - who learned on skinny skis and therefore need all the help I can get to carve properly - to go for Dynaster Exclusive Legend, which are 75mm underfoot. If and when I get more experienced off-piste, I might decide differently, but my Dynastars will do fine as an all-mountain ski for now. I'm sorry I can't comment more specifically on your possible choices, as I'm a pixie-sized woman.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
Fifespud,
Quote:

have come to the conclusion for my skiing 75-80 underfoot is the way forward for the time being as I have found mid 80's seriously compromising my limited carving skills
That's the logic which impelled me, as an intermediate skier - who learned on skinny skis and therefore need all the help I can get to carve properly - to go for Dynaster Exclusive Legend, which are 75mm underfoot. If and when I get more experienced off-piste, I might decide differently, but my Dynastars will do fine as an all-mountain ski for now. I'm sorry I can't comment more specifically on your possible choices, as I'm a pixie-sized woman.

Ironically, you might (and this isn't a slight or anything, just a quick thought that might not be applicable) both find that "carving properly" is easier on a wider ski that has to properly carved. A big thing that's common with intermediate skiers is relying on riding the sidecut and holding on for their lives. Yes, the ski carves, but it's not nessecarily a good thing snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, I am torn between the Dynastar Sultan 85 and Salomon Lord and can't quite decide if I am a Lord or a Sultan for this coming season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, yes, that's logical too and could very well be applicable. Correction: I am a lazy pixie-sized woman. Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, I actually edited my post a bit when I re-read and saw you're on 75mm waisted skis anyway, which for your size aren't that likely to be too much of a crutch anyway...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fifespud, i have owned a couple of these skis AC30's are quite stiff with a lot of camber and at your weight you may struggle to drive em, K2 recons are softer but not as good edge hold... my mate had tornados are they are really light and IMO not a performance ski

out of all of em i prefer Heads.. i have supershape magnums and have ordered a pair of titans for all rounders you might look into putting these on your list as well as the peak 78's
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC, Very Happy (I did test them before buying and also took quite a bit of advice - especially, as it happens, from comprex. Where is he, btw?)

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Fifespud,
Quote:

Hurtle maybe it is in the imagination but I totally agree with you. I find it considerably easier to carve short radius on mid 70's than I can on say Salomon Lords or Movement Jams.

The 2 best skiers I ski with skied from birth on skinny skis - they now ski on mid/high 70's and can ski virtually any terrain and make it look easy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fifespud,
Quote:

can ski virtually any terrain and make it look easy.
I wish! But I have now skied on quite a variety of terrain on my Dynastars, and am enjoying them.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Fifespud, i have owned a couple of these skis AC30's are quite stiff with a lot of camber and at your weight you may struggle to drive em, K2 recons are softer but not as good edge hold... my mate had tornados are they are really light and IMO not a performance ski

out of all of em i prefer Heads.. i have supershape magnums and have ordered a pair of titans for all rounders you might look into putting these on your list as well as the peak 78's

It's so confusing when you're not totally immersed in the sport to grasp all the details. I did the WS course (again) in Saas Fee recently and a girl in the group who was about 8 stone and 5 foot 2 skied the AC30's. Skied brilliantly and said she loved them. Pretty good technique it has to be said and a fairly experienced skier.

I had a couple of extended goes on the Magnum 78 Ti's last year and thought they were great. I am leaning towards the Heads myself.
snow conditions
Fifespud wrote:

Hurtle maybe it is in the imagination but I totally agree with you. I find it considerably easier to carve short radius on mid 70's than I can on say Salomon Lords or Movement Jams.

The 2 best skiers I ski with skied from birth on skinny skis - they now ski on mid/high 70's and can ski virtually any terrain and make it look easy.

Short radius skis making short turns easier shocker Wink The best skiers can ski any terrain on anything and make it look easy, correct tool for the job can only completement skill, not replace it.
snow conditions
AC30 is a great ski but im a 100kg and they tired me out skied em hard for two weeks. sold em in the end to make room for titans... Off piste and for long turns they are fab but hard work on short turns on piste. at your level you may not get the most from them...

not skied the peak series but lots of people i know rate em. try the peaks and titans side by side, would be interested to hear your views.
latest report
DaveC wrote:
Fifespud wrote:

Short radius skis making short turns easier shocker Wink The best skiers can ski any terrain on anything and make it look easy, correct tool for the job can only completement skill, not replace it.

That's why I am looking at Head 78's with a radius of 14.6m.

I am trying to learn!
snow report
Fifespud wrote:

That's 'cos of the turn radius and sidecut, not the width. Fat skis with a lot of sidecut will also carve short turns (providing they have the tortional rigidity).
snow report
The Head ski's are just so pricey though!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy