Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in Courchevel/3 Valleys

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of a trip to Courchevel in December, when does the snow normally arrive?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jan 3rd, late afternoon. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anyone else?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry. Couldn't resist. Clearly, I don't know.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have skied opening week a few times and always been skiing. one time delayed due to too much snow. can be thin but snow cannons are plentiful...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It arrived on Sunday night.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have booked a week there starting 12th dec. Although this is the first week the TO go the resort opens a couple of weeks earlier from what I can gather. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited to correct typos.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 17-08-10 8:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speedy, we usually do A Val Thorens weekend at start of December. Last year was good, year before was epic and year before that was bare. You're really in the lap of the snow Gods.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never had a problem with snow in the Three Valleys after around the 2nd week of December. 1st week of January has usually been historically good too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's already snowing in the tarentaise above 2000m...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonm wrote:
Jan 3rd, late afternoon. wink

2pm last year wasn't it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
speedy, 1850 opened on the weekend of the 5/6 Dec last year if I remember correctly? However, not all the lifts were going for the first week. 1650 opens later in December.

Snow has been really mixed in Dec. A few seasons ago you needed a pair of rock hoppers for the first few weeks. Season before last it dumped snow for the first couple of weeks after opening with fantastic conditions. Last year it was pretty good and I had some good skiing the week before Xmas.

From memory I can only remember one really bad December. Runs were open but they were ice sheets and it was stoney. The artificial snow has helped in recent years if the natural stuff is a little thin on the ground! I've had some great early season skiing in Courchevel with good piste conditions and no people.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
last years snow report will be of good use to you - this year will either be the same or different

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55849

personally, i've never understood why people book so far in advance to ski at that time of year. better waiting to see what conditions are like, where has the best conditions and booking a last minute bargain... no?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly said
Quote:

this year will either be the same or different

Is that just for Courchevel or all resorts Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly wrote:
last years snow report will be of good use to you - this year will either be the same or different

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Cheers Guys, I suppose if I was to ask were I would be "guaranteed" snow then I would get the same sort of answers. As for booking in advance; I just like to be prepared!!!
snow report
Look to the glaciers then?
snow report
shoogly wrote:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55849

personally, i've never understood why people book so far in advance to ski at that time of year. better waiting to see what conditions are like, where has the best conditions and booking a last minute bargain... no?

This is what we used to do, pre-kids. However, now we have 2 children (currently one is 4 and the other is 11months old), we need to book the childcare, and we are very fussy when it comes to rooms etc as we don't want to share a room with our girls, as my hubby gets really grumpy if he doesn't get a decent nights sleep. Once they are older, we may well go back to our old way of booking holidays etc.
snow conditions
speedy wrote:
I just like to be prepared!!!

you can be just as prepared going last minute as you can booking in advance...

as long as you've saved the cash, have the time off work and have your gear packed, then you're just as prepared as the next person.
snow conditions
More fresh snow on the Saulire today, along with a few snowmen Very Happy

Courchevel 1850 official opening date is normally around the 15th December, but will often have limited opening a week before that, conditions permitting.

For the last three seasons, lifts started in the Courchevel and Meribel valleys around 6th December, and conditions were reasonable
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
I have booked a week there starting 12th dec. Although this is the first week the TO go the resort opens a couple of weeks earlier from what I can gather. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited to correct typos.

As a general guide, you should expect between roughly 2% and 25% of the runs to be open at that time of year.

Val Thorens, nearby, typically has better cover in early Dec, as its base is about 500 meters higher.
snow report
If there is no snow at least you can enjoy the £8 a pint beer Smile

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 19-08-10 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

As a general guide, you should expect between roughly 2% and 25% of the runs to be open at that time of year.

Puzzled

50% - 75% probably more accurate
latest report
Patch, Whitegold likes to make definitive statements, whether they are accurate or not seems to be less important
latest report
Patch wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Puzzled

50% - 75% probably more accurate

Patch, that is more what I was hoping / expecting. We stayed in Courcheval 1550 the last week of the seasno (according to TO's anyway) and there was plenty to ski. We went out the week before christmas to St Anton one year and had loads of snow, though I think it was an exceptional year that year. In both cases not all runs were open but at least 80%.
ski holidays
Opening day Mottaret 06 we were the only ones there.... Dont come in December there is never any snow wink

ski holidays
skimottaret, what a lovely photo!
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
skimottaret, what a lovely photo!

And I thought the art of table lamp balancing was lost forever!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJ, Laughing Laughing
snow report
There was apparently a light dusting of snow up on tops yesterday. Slight snow showers forecast for today higher up. Certainly gone much colder. Was out in garden in shorts and t-shirt few days ago, now considering putting heating back on! Fingers crossed for loads of snow early on!
snow report
Quote:

Was out in garden in shorts and t-shirt few days ago, now considering putting heating back on!

Like that here on the south coast of England, too! Autumn is arriving. Fingers crossed......
snow report
Actually just seen quite a dusting of the 'old white stuff' on the mountains this morning now clouds have cleared. Time to bring my plants in I think!
snow conditions
I'd go to val thorens if you are going early in the season. courcheval 1850 maybe second best for snow. We went to val thorens for new year once and the snow was fine there but not very good in the meribel area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy