Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Memmingen Airport...

Poster: A snowHead
where will we find snow. 4 guys looking for a few days on piste fairly experienced cruisers. probably going in March but where is there a resort or a village cluster within 2-2.5 hours driving time?
Have done Lermoos etc, don't know why but i don't fancy Garmisch but having browsed the map it is becoming larger on the radar of destinations.....unless my snowHead buddied can point me to a nice Austrian location Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northantsred, just added these, just for you Smile

ski resorts near Memmingen as I didn't have that airport listed... nearest well known resorts under 2 hours are:

Berwang 102 km 1 hrs 11 mins
Garmisch Partenkirchen 128 km 1 hrs 32 mins
Zurs 164 km 1 hrs 47 mins
Lech 169 km 1 hrs 52 mins
St Anton 172 km 1 hrs 56 mins
St Christoph 163 km 1 hrs 45 mins

based upon Google map directions and timings....

EDIT: Was looking up incorrect Lech... adjusted accordingly, but still within 2 hours according to Google

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 15-08-10 19:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MoodyFFS, those times and distances look a little optimistic to me... Not least as Lech is next to Zurs... I'd reckon more like two and a half hours to the Arlberg, but I have not driven from Memmingen
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, well spotted... I had the wrong co-ordinates for Lech, well it was for Lech, just a different Lech! Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad to be of help! Reckon you might do it in more like two hours if the conditions were ok now that I've looked at map. I was coming round the long way.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, thanks... should be a bit more accurate now (conditions permitting of course) Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MoodyFFS, depends a lot on the time of day. You can get some pretty miserable traffic jams at the Pfändertunnel in Bregenz. But normally less than two hours is about right for Lech (am Arlberg).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, indeed and I'm guessing winter snow conditions, change over days etc will slow you down too, but hopefully it's a least a useful indication of driving times...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northantsred, drove from Kappl to Memmingem this year on a Saturday - took 2.5 hours and that was with a pretty big queue at the tunnel in Bregenz
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My son went to Damuls last year which is about 140 km from Memmingem. It has over 100km of pistes and was titled the world's snowiest town in 2006.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SCollier1, looks interesting. Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northantsred, if you want to ski the Arlberg on a short trip and don't want to pay silly prices, you could stay in one of the villages in Klostertal, we stayed in a nice apt in Dalaas (not Dallas) for €70 per night for 3 people in March 2009.

http://www.tiscover.com/at/guide/54794at,en,SCH1/objectId,RGN869345at,curr,EUR,season,at2,selectedEntry,home/home.html

http://members.aon.at/ferienhaus-wohnung-lorber/index.html

Short 10 min drive up to Stuben car park to hit St Anton ski area, 20 mins to Zurs via the Flexen Pass, 25 mins to Lech, 30 mins to St Anton proper via the Arlberg Pass (tunnel option too). Plenty of snow in March when we went, it practically didn't stop snowing, but roads were kept clear enough to pass with snow tyres.

The route from Memmingen is via Bregenz, about 140km, 1.5 hrs, (we did it from slightly nearer Friedrichshafen airport), the other villages in the valley are Braz, Wald (has it's own worthwhile Sonnenkopf ski area) and Klosterle, prices increase as you get closer to Arlberg lifts. Pretty quiet of an evening though, just a few restaurants.

Another area worth considering at a similar distance is the Montafon valley with resorts such as Schruns, St Gallenkirch and Gaschurn with 243 km of worthwhile ski areas between them.

http://www.montafon.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=MONTAFON2&PageID=312&Lang=199
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi, nice call. I have thought about Montafon area before and nearly went there last season. Could be worth considering. Also that suggestion about a back door onto the Arlberg lifts is something I hadn't considered. How quiet was it exactly?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northantsred, Dalaas was dead quiet, just a homely Italian pizzeria restaurant.

There's a really nice hotel/restaurant in Braz: http://www.roesslebraz.at/e_index.htm
Excellent cuisine at midrange prices, apparently St Anton locals head through the tunnel for an evening of good food at sensible prices according to Sidney Reilly: http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/eatingout.html

We were only there for parts of 3 days, so didn't sample any more than this.

Wald might be a little more lively as it's a resort in it's own right with the 55km Sonnenkopf ski area, the Milanovic sports shop at the Sonnenkopf gondola station was a lot cheaper for quality rentals than up the road in the Arlberg resorts, particularly Strolz in Stuben & Lech.

Stuben has a few places where you could have a drink of an evening, but it's not going to be party town like Ischgl.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Memmingen is in the middle of nowhere so wherever you go its a hell of a drive!!!!!
ski holidays
northantsred, the above suggestions for Austria are all doable. Just the bottlenecks at the Bregnenz tunnel and the Fernpass which can be a problem at times. Another German option could be Oberstdorf? It is only 80km from Memmingen and a really easy drive. Oberstdorf is served by three ski areas, Nebelhorn, Söllerck and Felhorn. The Kleinwalsertal is also very close and there are numerous other Allgäu resorts to try if you fancy a bit of exploring. You need a car to get the most out of the area.

http://oberstdorf.de/skifahren/skigebiete/
ski holidays
Anybody done Memmingen to Hintertux? Is public transport possible. It seems like you would have to drive going by the german trains search engine.
snow report
Fifespud, I have a feeling there is a local train from Innsbruck that goes into the Zillertal valley then you'd have to get a bus. I think it would be a bit of a bore getting there by public transport from Memmingen.
snow report
Fifespud, Just done a quick search on the Austrian rail site www.oebb.at It seems that Memmingen to Hintertux is possible but would take a while. It looks like you would get a train to Munich then change to go to Jenbach (at the end of Zillertal) then change onto the Zillertalbahn, local train to Mayrhofen, then bus up from Mayrhofen to Hintertux. From Jenbach to Hintertux, if you get the right train that connects with the bus without having to wait, takes about 1.5hrs.
The Austrian rail site are saying 4-5 hours from Memmingen to Jenbach, depending on which train you get.
If you have a flight landing early in the day and enjoy hanging around railway stations, then go for it... Though I think I'd be hiring a car, if I were you.
ski holidays
Sara and Nozawaonsen - cheers - thats kinda the conclusion I came to.

V cheap flights to Memmingen though - out on Friday back Monday - 32 squid return.

Is the open terrain at Hintertux come end of October better than summer in Saas Fee?
ski holidays
Fifespud, can you not do Edi Munich with easyJet - much better for Zillertal than Memmingem
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy