Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compact cameras for skiing, part II

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so last season following a pretty big thread on here I plumped for a Panasonic Lumix TZ65, last week my missus dropped it onto a hard floor and it's now uneconomical to repair.

So I'm looking again! Despite it having a large ultra bright 3" screen, taking shots with the sun behind you were pretty much point and guess without a viewfinder, so my list of requirements in order of importance are:

1. Viewfinder
2. Decent zoom - 8x or higher
3. High FPS for multiple action shots (lumix had 2.3 pics a second in burst mode)
4. No bigger than the Lumix which was
Height 6 cm
Width 10.3 cm
Depth 3.3 cm
Weight 0.23 kg inc card & battery

Lumix TZ8 would be the obvious replacement, with the benefit of some manual controls but it has no viewfinder....

So anything out there that fits the bill with a viewfinder?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, not many out there with a viewfinder now, as I discovered when looking for new camera for julesb.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells, yeh I know, hence the thread, what did you end up going for?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nikon's P7000 is due soon. I had the P5100, and it was excellent - I regret trading it for the Casio Exlim EXG1 (also excellent, though). Rumours are that it'll have something like 6-8fps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, there are, I think, quite a few models with electronic viewfinders.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Canon G11 comes close - but at 112 x 76 x 48 mm it's a bit of a tank. I've kept an eye on the G series - seems to be a very nice camera - but unfortunately too bulky for me - and too heavy at 355 g, as well. I have a Canon iXus comp[act and nice - but optical zoom is small - about 3.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, I would have preferred a viewfinder on my choice. I got fed up with lugging a digital SLR around and gave up taking it, especially after smashing the LCD in a high speed crash in Wengen a couple of years ago.

I also wanted a compact to carry around for everyday use, so I went for the Panasonic Lumix TZ10 in the end, even without a viewfinder. It's supposed to have a much improved screen in bright light, but we will see.

It's got a great spec with full manual control if required, but not cheap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, he got a TZ6 without a viewfinder. He hasn't complained too much about it. There's a new Lumix out, FX5, but a lot mroe manual functions, and optional (?) viewfinder, and probably a much bigger price tag.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

you will struggle to find something with a viewfinder unless you go for a G11 (or look for a second hand G9 online - I really liked mine until it got nicked)

if i was in the market for a compact now, I'd be tempted to hold out for a Panny LX5. I have an LX3 which is great for scenic type skiing shots, but not so much for action shots because there isn't enough zoom
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, that's it the LX5, been discussing this on another forum, where a pro photographer is looking for his first ever compact. He is torn between the Panasonic LX5 and a Canon Powershot SX20 IS. His criteria were a viewfinder and RAW file capability.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I rejected g9 last time down to slow fps and also rejected g11 down to size....will google lx5 and nikon p7000
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, yup, the G11 fps is low, too. Please let us know what you go for in the end.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
kitenski, there are, I think, quite a few models with electronic viewfinders.

Got any specific models in mind as I am struggling to find any!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
Ah, that's it the LX5, been discussing this on another forum, where a pro photographer is looking for his first ever compact. He is torn between the Panasonic LX5 and a Canon Powershot SX20 IS. His criteria were a viewfinder and RAW file capability.

Pretty sure the LX5 doesn't have a viewfinder??? http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Stylish+Compact/DMC-LX5/Overview/5435432/index.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, no viewfinder but it does have a hot shoe so you can get an electronic viewfinder as an extra, or buy a separate optical viewfinder. the latter won't show you precisely what the camera sees but will help with framing the shot. i have the EVF for my other camera (Panny GF1). it is pretty good but really expensive for what it is
you will really struggle to get a small compact with a viewfinder unless you start looking at older models
Currenly planning to sell my LX3 with a view to getting the LX5
snow report
Another well timed thread. The Lumix TZ10 is currently top of my list, however having read a barnstorming review for the Canon S90 I'm wavering. Problem is it doesn't seem to have HD video capability (which the Lumix does), and at £305 compared to £240 for the Lumix I'm not sure it's worth the extra wonga despite the rather natty sounding control ring around the lens. The Lumix also has GPS tagging which looks like a great feature. The Sony DSCHX5VB is also getting a look in, but having to @rse around with Sony proprietary media doesn't attract.
snow report
I bought a Canon IXUS recently, which was the only thing I could find with an optical viewfinder. The viewfinder is very small, but in fact I find that the screen isn't bad, even in bright sun.
snow report
Dr John, interesting as I have opposite views to you, don't really want HD video as I have an HD video camcorder which IMHO will give better results, and I also don't want GPS as I figure it will eat battery......
ski holidays
kitenski, I don't have a camcorder, and it's not enough of a priority for me to carry 2 separate units. GPC will eat battery but if you don't have it on all the time and have a 10 minute refresh rate when you do it should be OK. Lumix seems the best all rounder.

Let's hope so anyway, cos I've just ordered it...
snow report
Lizzard, agreed - and I mostly used the screen now. But when push comes to shove in really bright conditions, the viewfinder is very useful. But of course it does no have the 8x zoomkitenski wants (otherwise it would be ideal for him).
snow conditions
if i was getting a camera in this class, it'd be the Sony HX5. Has the best low light images from the lot of them, which is important from an apres ski point of view Very Happy
ski holidays
I sold an Ixus 40 to get the Lumix, to be honest it was only once on holiday with a very bright sun directly behind me that the LCD became unusable...
ski holidays
kitenski, then I would probably go for another TZ .
ski holidays
kitenski, check out Mathers if you decide to go with a Panasonic:

http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/html/lumix_cameras.html

slightly clunkly website but good prices and service
snow report
kitenski wrote:
I sold an Ixus 40 to get the Lumix, to be honest it was only once on holiday with a very bright sun directly behind me that the LCD became unusable...

I've never had any problems with the LCD becoming unusable due to bright light, even on sunny days when skiing. If it's that rare an occurrence is it worth narrowing your choice of camera to those with a viewfinder?
snow conditions
rob@rar, JulesB hasn't complained about his Lumix, so I assume it hasn't been a problem.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:

I've never had any problems with the LCD becoming unusable due to bright light, even on sunny days when skiing. If it's that rare an occurrence is it worth narrowing your choice of camera to those with a viewfinder?

Individual choice, innit. It was an overriding factor for me. Not a pukka camera, of course, but the iPhone I saw being used (Swiss Toby's) as one was close to hopeless in bright light at the EOSB. If some camera screens are as bad, I would be very fed up if I owned one of them.
snow report
The best camera is one that you actually use to take pictures with ?
For skiing & outdoor sports one of the the most important specifications is waterproof & shockproof.

Hard to look past the "Pentax Optio-W" series for this.
Bomb-proof and takes great photos.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Also to be honest tracking fast moving subjects thru an LCD whilst taking pics is not as easy as via a viewfinder IMHO....
latest report
Haggis_Trap, why waterproof for skiing??
latest report
^ because snow is water rolling eyes wink

seriosuly... I totally recommend looking for waterproof / shockproof options.
you want to take your compact camera places with out worrying about breaking it ?
seen so many cameras stop working just because they got put in a damp rucksack or dropped in the powder etc.
Pentax Optio-W series is well priced / takes good pictures and near indestructible.
not much contest for a compact ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 12-08-10 11:34; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, accepting the lack of a viewfinder, it looks a pretty good spec.
ski holidays
Have the older optio-W model.
I was also initially worried about the lack of view finder.
But the screen is really large - and its not really an issue.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Individual choice, innit. It was an overriding factor for me. Not a pukka camera, of course, but the iPhone I saw being used (Swiss Toby's) as one was close to hopeless in bright light at the EoSB. If some camera screens are as bad, I would be very fed up if I owned one of them.

Indeed, but as you have found the LCD is good enough in most conditions.
snow report
Not seen this or any previous thread before, but yesterday I bought a canon Ixus 95 IS mainly for skiing. My requirements were:- had to be slim and have a viewfinder ( from previous experience ). Have I done right? - I'm only a happy snapper!!
ski holidays
richardhbe, 100 IS works fine for me. I like the viewfinder, and the slimness is very handy for dropping into a jacket pocket. Battery life is fantastic. Downside is the low zoom.
snow report
I've an Optio WP, a few years old now that I use for skiing. I can't see a thing on the LCD when it's bright though, I just point and hope. Hopefully the LCD's on them have improved in recent years.
ski holidays
I have a FZ38 - it has an EVF - that is a liitle better than the LCD screen. Bit of focus hunting at the long end of the zoom when the light is flat.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, interesting thoughts, may take a look, FPS seems v slow though. Continuous FPS: Approx 1.27 FPS, compared to Lumix tz8 which is 2.3 frames/sec standard, going up to 10 frames/sec (speed priority)
ski holidays
kitenski, Haggis_Trap does not subscribe to the "spray and pray" technique Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy