Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went in late May. It was awesome fun but the afternoon slush was heavy going. I got a great deal on some skis from Intersport and the mountain was perfect for late season skiing with some lovely runs. We stayed at the Happy Hotel Stubai which was cheapish and had good food. Decent pool and sauna but naked austrian style which doesn't impress the current Ms Rumdiary. I will be back in Sept/Oct as it sure as hell beats the snowdome. Even the one at Amneville which isn't too far from home.

Anyway, overall review is 2 thumbs up for a glacier skiing experience when other resorts are closed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much was open at that time of the year? Can you still ski to 2300mtr middle station?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe we did. It was all open but on the final day the lower slopes were closed from about 1/2 down which I thought was the middle station. But i have never been one for maps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Looks like May is still a good time to get some proper snow on the glaciers, specially Hintertux or Stubai. Definitely have to try one year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has anyone tried skiing either Hintertux, Stubai or Kitzsteinhorn in September? Am heading off for a tour of West Austria in September and hoped to grab a couple of days on the slopes if possible.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, September is about the worst time for any of those. The best is Hintertux. I'm not even sure whether Stubai or Kitzsteinhorn are open at that time any more. I've done Hintertux in early October and it definitely wasn't worth the effort. There are better things to do in the alps at that time of year!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom W, kosciosco, I've skied all of these in just about every month of the year - sometimes it is good, sometimes it is crap! A lot depends on the preceding weather as well as the weather on the day. I once skied down to the bottom station at Stubai in May as there was still so much snow that the Wild' Grube was complete if not officially open (skied it with friends who worked for the lift company so they knew it was complete.). The warmer the summer, the earlier in the day you start and finish. They don't open all the lifts simply because there is little or no demand to be honest. I love skiing on the glaciers out of season as you can have a whole piste to yourself for a whole day. Happened to me at Stubai on a "bluebird day" with loads of fresh powder to play in - down in the valley it was miserable and claggy - I skied in perfect sunshine and no wind - sunbathing when I stopped or sat on a chairlift! Toofy Grin

I'm looking forward to the Kitzsteinhorn re-opening in September - there might be a fair bit closed off for national team training (same with the Hintertux glacier) but it is still great just to be out there!

What do you mean by Western Austria kosciosco? Kitzsteinhorn Mölltal and Hintertux are not officially in Western Austria. Stubai maybe, Sölden, Pitztal and Öztal definitely of which only Sölden will be open for sure (Tiefenbach and Rettenbach glaciers) Check the web sites to see when they are open. They often close after the summer holidays to complete inspection and repair work before the winter season begins (look for Revision)

Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kosciosco, Check this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64677#1568526

Looks like Kitz will be closed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosciosco, in the past Stubai has opened in mid September but only snow permitting. Couldn't comment on what it's normally like though as the latest I've skied is Hintertux in May and the earliest was Pitztal at the start of October.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, so lucky to be living within driving distance Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, We are travelling from Bregenz right the way across to Salzgammerzut (excuse me if the spelling isn't so great!), so I guess that is West to Mid Austria.

Shame, doesn't sound like any of the glaciers will be doable, reckon I should leave the boots at home then Sad

Oh well, at least that means I might get some more walking in
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kosciosco, I have been to Hintertux in early September (2007). It was just for a long weekend. There was a fair amount of snow - a little at the bottom of Gletscherbus 3 (2500m) but a fair amount at the top (3250m) - and about 2 foot of (heavy, wet "powder" off piste). Conditions were pretty bad though - stormy and almost white-out (vis about 15 metres at most); not sure it was worth the trip.

piste map here: http://ski3.intermaps.com/zillertal/index.asp?Lang=de&chn=zoom6&Reg=zmP6&Aktuell=Lifte

Also - note that to get to the only blue run then open (it was the OH's first time on a real hill) one had to first go down a red (quite possibly left psychological scars for life...).

Was the overall experience fun? Yes, but not really due to the skiing/boarding time (but it would likely have been different in good weather). Would I go there again in September? Probably not.

Good luck.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kosciosco, I've been skiing on Hintertux in October and often in November although normally with the advantage of being close and a good forecast. In September I'd stick to hiking and climbing which can be absolutely beautiful at that time of year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, you'll be passing my front door then wink I live in the mountains in what the Austrians call "Die Grosse Deutsche Ecke"!

The glaciers are skiable in September but not often open as it is generally a very quiet month and therefore suitable for all the inspection, repair and testing that has to be done before and after each winter season. It is best to check the web sites before leaving then decide whether to throw your boots in or not. All the rest of the kit can be rented on site for reasonable rates and done on a spur of the moment (weather looks good) basis!

I reckon even Hintertux will be closed for some if not all of September. Sölden maybe open - there is a good shuttle bus system that takes you up to the Tiefenbach or Rettenbach (which ever is operating). But a quick peak at their web site should give you all the info you want.

Sue Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy